Window pivot shoes and bars

USNRET

Living in a hot, humid and corrosive environment my house windows take a beating. The plastic pivot shoes deteriorate and now the pivot bars are badly corroded to the point that I have to drill out the retaining screw and then the bar is so corroded that they break off trying to pull them out of the sash. Anyone have thoughts on how to remove the broken off pivot bar from the sash? The bar pictured is the only one I have able to remove so far. I have pivot shoes (of course I have two bags of shoes somewhere in this house unfound) and bars on order and I really don't want to replace the unidentified 15 year old sash.

Pivots.jpg

Previous installers left mine in the wall. Now they vibrate to huge bass notes from the K-horns. That was not a good decision on their part. Sometimes if you very carefully remove the wood trim they will be visible. I haven't removed mine yet but I feel that I will in a huge desperate spasmodic moment of uncontrolled violence.

JJK

• Sad 1

Should of taken a photo of the non-existent pivot bar that I can't grab but I would rather have a cocktail then pull it out again. Spent the day at the wife's AirBnB condos repairing clothes washer and dishwasher. Vinyl windows. This place is going up for sale soon so......

rust.jpg

13 hours ago, USNRET said:

I really don't want to replace the unidentified 15 year old sash.

Still have the original windows in our house. Going on 58 years, wood sash... Of course they are painted shut and can only open two in the whole house. I've worked on one to try and get it open, but I think there has been just enough settling that they will never move.

14 hours ago, oldtimer said:

PB Blaster and patience, followed by painstakingly delicate motions?

This ^^

Most people try to force something beyond its elasticity when working something back and forth will promote migration of the lubricant to where it's needed. Also, if the outside is plastic and the inside metal, plastic has a ~ 10 x thermal dynamic growth / degree vs metal. Adding a little heat with a hair dryer or heat gun might let it swell enough to help.   

On some there is absolutely nothing to latch on to. I am thinking 1) make a hole in the vinyl just big enough to get a drift pin behind the bar, tap out until I can get purchase and then seal the hole or 2) drive the pivot bat IN and leave the old ones in the vinyl track void that they are in.