Tangent 400 to Heresy II project

meeker1

Hello all,

I have a pair of Tangent 400s and was thinking of turning them into Heresy IIs. I have large speakers in my main system and would like to set these up in a small bedroom so need a smaller speaker. Has anyone done this? It seems all the speaker/crossover parts are identical, so it's just a matter of a new cabinet. Thoughts on these options in order of effort?

1) Find someone who wants more bass out of the H2s that is willing to swap cabinets

2) Cut the Tangent cabinet down & install a new bottom & risers 

3) Build a set using a Crites motorboard ($80/pr + shipping) + new birch ply. (Sell / donate Tangent cabs)

The Tangents look just like these: 

cheers,

Dan

The Tangents are, I believe, the same width and depth as a Heresy (~15"x13.5") but stand 3 feet tall. So I think just taking off the bottom ~14" where the ports are located would get you a sealed volume close to a Heresy II and likely firm it up.

You will lose some bass by losing the port and cabinet volume. I have a pair of HIIs and was thinking of going the other way and building Tangent 400 cabinets. Sing the footprint is about the same, what are you really gaining by making a shorter cab?

• Like 1

he's not gaining anything except losing bass -by swapping H2  cabs ---- the Tangent 400 is very similar to the Forte, in overall size and specs  , and  except for  the larger tweeter k75 on the Forte vs k76 on the Tangent 400-

On 6/12/2020 at 10:00 AM, meeker1 said:

Hello all,

I have a pair of Tangent 400s and was thinking of turning them into Heresy IIs. I have large speakers in my main system and would like to set these up in a small bedroom so need a smaller speaker. Has anyone done this? It seems all the speaker/crossover parts are identical, so it's just a matter of a new cabinet. Thoughts on these options in order of effort?

1) Find someone who wants more bass out of the H2s that is willing to swap cabinets

2) Cut the Tangent cabinet down & install a new bottom & risers 

3) Build a set using a Crites motorboard ($80/pr + shipping) + new birch ply. (Sell / donate Tangent cabs)

The Tangents look just like these: 

cheers,

Dan

Dan, 

before I acquired my Cornwalls I had a pair of Heresy ii's. I always thought they lacked a little bass. Maybe the 400 cabinets are just fine. Maybe all they need is a recap?, and some titanium diaphragms in the horn?

54 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

he's not gaining anything except losing bass -by swapping H2  cabs ---- the Tangent 400 is very similar to the Forte, in overall size and specs  , and  except for  the larger tweeter k75 on the Forte vs k76 on the Tangent 400-

I know how big they are. A good friend has a pair of the Tangents. My point was that he won't gain any floor space, only that they will be shorter.

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

You will lose some bass by losing the port and cabinet volume. I have a pair of HIIs and was thinking of going the other way and building Tangent 400 cabinets. Sing the footprint is about the same, what are you really gaining by making a shorter cab?

Let me know if you want to swap cabinets! I have had both and for whatever reason, the HIIs feel less dominating in a space, and can be stacked for storage. If I want bass I have the big rig (with Yamaha NS1000Ms)

I had a pair of H2s but the cabs were worn and bass drivers had something spilled on them at one point - they are a good party speaker 🙂

The plan back then was to build some nice cabinets out of quality finnish birch ply and rehouse the drivers from the H2s. Then I saw the tangents on CL with pristine drivers. So I sold the H2s and bought the Tangents with the plan to still build some nice new H2 cabinets. That has not happened in a few years but I am revisiting it now. (I know, I know, should just switched the bass drivers and sold the Tangents, but the H2 cabs weren't as nice as I would like and H2 sell for twice the price of Tangents).

IMG_5297.thumb.jpg.29cd3d6854754068e508071f9e594d0f.jpg

2 hours ago, Could sound better said:

Dan, 

before I acquired my Cornwalls I had a pair of Heresy ii's. I always thought they lacked a little bass. Maybe the 400 cabinets are just fine. Maybe all they need is a recap?, and some titanium diaphragms in the horn?

Whatever I do, I will likely upgrade the diaphragms. I do have a velodyne sub with DSP/room correction in the closet as well.

19 minutes ago, meeker1 said:

Whatever I do, I will likely upgrade the diaphragms. I do have a velodyne sub with DSP/room correction in the closet as well.

---quick remark --if you chop these up  and cut them just above  the ports , the cab will have measurements about 1 inch larger than the new H4 -and the bass would be better than a H2 as long as you add 1 of the removed ports in the rear of the speaker -

I am surprised nobody has suggested an H3 upgrade kit from Klipsch.

Last time I enquired was October and they were still available.

It would seriously rock.

AND, down the road if you still want a smaller speaker you have the guts of an H3 should you choose to build a lovely cabinet.

No one has mentioned that the tweeters and mids are higher and I see a lot of folks recommending raising up there Heresy speakers to move the tweeters up closer to ear level. The tangent has a lot going for it, if its not what you want, move them along to someone that does and either build or by what you really do want.  

6 hours ago, garyeanderson said:

The tangent has a lot going for it, if its not what you want, move them along to someone that does and either build or by what you really do want.  

So that's option 1 or 3 and I am happy to do either. H2s are what I want. Having had both, I would be very happy with a nice set of H2s. 1 being the easiest. Option 2 was more of a stop gap, since the quality of the cabinet (vinyl wrapped particle board) is not in the same league as a 'heritage' speaker. If the Tangents have so much going for them then Option 1 could be just the ticket for someone who wants all the benefits that design brings.

The Tangent cabinets are the weak part of the series. I would build new BB cabs if I were to move my parts over. I was going to get the H3 upgrade kit for my HIIs and build Tangent 400 cabs for the removed parts. Probably never going to get to it as I now have even larger speakers to play with.

In you situation, I would look for a decent pair of HIIs and sell off or pass along the Tangents. I love my HIIs...

22 hours ago, Marvel said:

I know how big they are. A good friend has a pair of the Tangents. My point was that he won't gain any floor space, only that they will be shorter.

well as they say "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink". I agree with  you Bruce that there are more advantages to the taller Tangents than with the Heresy. The OP get to choose what floats his boat. I hope that other readers of the thread see the benefits of the Tangent option and at $400.00 Canadian that is a very good deal.

2 minutes ago, moray james said:

well as they say "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink". I agree with  you Bruce that there are more advantages to the taller Tangents than with the Heresy. The OP get to choose what floats his boat. I hope that other readers of the thread see the benefits of the Tangent option and at $400.00 Canadian that is a very good deal.

And I agree with you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moray james said:

Thanks moray james and billybob. Yes, it's all a matter of personal taste. Let's hope someone here is convinced to give them a go and would like to swap. For whatever reason, the Tangents are not valued anything like the H2s, so a swap is unlikely. It was a few years ago, but I think I paid ~$170 for the Tangents and the seller was having a very hard time selling them for that. The scratched and stained H2s I had, I sold for what I paid for them after I cleaned them up a little ($300). Nowadays, a quick review of prices on CL of H2s in OK to nice shape go for $500-900. So unless the value of Tangents has rocketed I have a good budget to make cabs and buy upgrades to make a stellar pair of H2s to my liking. 

• Like 1