The Virus Made Me Do It

rebuy

When to UPS and Picked up my RF-82's before

they destroyed the Boxes.

Only been using about an hour.

They look Nice and the wife is Happy Happy  Happy.

My Modded Synergy Blends in Very Well as a Center.

Very Pleased the way this all turned out

john rf 82.JPG

john rf 82 44.JPG

john rf 82 22.JPG

• Like 4

21 hours ago, dtel said:

Nice deal, so how are you liking them, I would think alot.

I really like these. 

The Bass Clear and Distinct. 

Compared to the Synergy line, The Cabinet's are Higher Quality

and that eliminates the Bass Boom.

The Titanium Horn is Very Clear and doesn't have

the Harsher sound that the Aluminum Driver has.

In my system the top end is Much Clearer than with The Synergy.

The speaker is Attractive without The Grills 

and The Copper Colored Drivers are Bright & Shiny.

I love the Magnetic Grills, The magnets are strong also.

I'm not real crazy about the Denon unit I'm using except for Movies.

I will be switching to a Marantz with Pre-outs so I can use a more musical amp

at a later date--if I live that long.

Using audyssey in the "Reference" mode is not good for Music.

To me it just does not sound good.

I Use it but for music I change it from Reference to "Flat"

and the Music Sounds Mo Better.

So if you're using Audyssey for music try the Flat Setting

instead of the reference setting.

The speakers are very stable and won't tip over.

I use a little pledge on a micro fiber towel and

they shine up real nice. Don't use too much.

One thing I like about a Klipsch Speaker is

How it throws sound into the room.

Unlike other speakers I have owned

Klipsch Speakers deliver sound unlike other speakers.

Voices and instruments Float into the space

and it's not Boxy.

These are Keepers.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, rebuy said:

Using audyssey in the "Reference" mode is not good for Music.

To me it just does not sound good.

I Use it but for music I change it from Reference to "Flat"

and the Music Sounds Mo Better.

Is there a way to just turn it off or have it go direct ? I say this because flat may be affecting it also.

I use a HTR also but like you said just the pre-outs and turn any of the sound manipulation off, it just sounds better. Some HTR's just are not so good with 2 ch, I originally had a Yamaha HTR and it just sounded flat, nothing special, it was also old. Switched to a "less old" Pioneer Elite for HDMI mostly but the sound was greatly improved, it sounded as good as when I just used a DAC and a BR player.

Different brand HTR receivers can have huge differences in sound quality for 2 Ch, you don't want one that sounds like a HTR receiver, for movies many of them do well but not for 2 Ch. Pre-outs help with that, and avoid as much as you can of the sound processing part. My experience anyway.

• Thanks 1

This Denon has so many ways to set sound.

I can do almost anything with it.

Generally, I don't turn it up too loud because

my wife has has a stroke and real loud

music can affect her brain in a bad way.

So I generally listen at a Moderate Level

to keep peace in the house.

So, at a moderate volume,  my goal is 

Maximum Dynamics & Clarity.

• 1 month later...

Congrats on the new RF82 II's.  That's one heckuva bargain.  Gotta be one of the best values in speakers right now. 

Tell me, do you know how the RF-82 II came to be resurrected in the Klipsch line?  Did they discover some NOS in a warehouse somewhere? 

Regardless of the how and why, enjoy!

On 6/26/2020 at 9:39 AM, dtel said:

Is there a way to just turn it off or have it go direct ? I say this because flat may be affecting it also.

Yes, there is just "OFF," and there is also "PURE DIRECT," at least in Marantz.  Since they have the same Parent Company I'd think Denon should have these options, too.

But, I need to say, Audyssey FLAT, in my well treated room, with my Klipschorns and a few dB bass tone control boost (only possible with "Dynamic EQ" -- a new loudness compensation control -- OFF, which is execrable, anyway, IMO) is terrific, and sounds clearer and smoother than "OFF."  It improves the sound of the vast majority of my CDs.  A very few are better with Audyssey REFERENCE, which has a harshness reducing dip at about 2K Hz, and a roll-off starting at -1 dB at 7K Hz, -2 dB at 10K Hz, and increasing to -6 dB at 20K Hz.  For CDs that are a little harsh, this works well.  Aud. FLAT works with almost all Blu-rays.  Every time I switch to "OFF," the sound is more bland, not as clear, and not quite as beautiful.  Audyssey has been the greatest single improvement in my sound in a long, long time, better than room treatment changes, amplifier changes, changing to AK 4 and new drivers (originally AA) etc.  I read the lengthy instructions here  

"Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"  by Keith Barnes

first, as well as the comments by Chris Kyriakakis of Audyssey at "Ask Audyssey" (the Marantz manual was not very good, and contained a few errors),  used all 8 microphone positions, and used Audyssey full range.  A smooth bass boost of a few dB is necessary for reasons discussed in the above FAQ.  For speakers as sensitivie as Khorns, Audyssey will set all your (Khorn or equiv) levels to - 12 dB (but the EQ and Time domain will remain correct), and you won't know if it would have set the level even lower, if that range was available, so you need to use in line attenuators between the pre-pro and the power amp, or in a processor loop in an AVR when you set up, OR re-adjust your levels after calibrating with the aid of an SPL meter, and a disk like the Spears with pink noise 500 to 2K (don't use the internal pink noise, because it doesn't go through Audyssey).  I opted to use 12 dB attenuators to set up, then remove them afterwards, knowing that my new reference level would no longer would be 0 on the main volume control, but instead would be -12 dB; this was with the imprimatur of Chris K.

For even more information, see GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES
Which contains more updated information on Audyssey -- it is the Magnum Opus of set-up, by Mike Thomas.

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

5 hours ago, jdmccall said:

Congrats on the new RF82 II's.  That's one heckuva bargain.  Gotta be one of the best values in speakers right now. 

Tell me, do you know how the RF-82 II came to be resurrected in the Klipsch line?  Did they discover some NOS in a warehouse somewhere? 

Regardless of the how and why, enjoy!

Crutchfield had some for a little while, don't know how they got them.

I don't think they have these But I saw a newer model at a good price.

I am very pleased with the price I got.

• Like 1