Matching SS amplifier with Heresy IV

Waza75

Hi All,

I need your assistance. I have purchased Heresys IV two weeks ago and I am looking to upgrade my amlpifier as well. So I am looking for a solid state (maybe hybrid?) to power them. Budget 2000 USD more or less. As you know in this price range there are hundrets of not bad amps on the market and after tons of hours reading on internet I decided to ask here, where people know a bit more on Klipsches pairing.

I got my long list already to demo, but I would like shorten this to 3 amps. So any recommendations very highly appreciated.

Till now I would think about:

1 Vincent (not sure which one SV 500, 227 MK, or 237MK)

2 Rogue Audio Sphinx V3 (a bit pracey and hard to demo where I live)

3 Unison Research Simply Italy (I have demoed it and I think it is a bit weak on bass, and it is all valve which I do not want becouse of many reasons, placement etc)

I think that something which helps H4s slightly in the lower end but not losing the mids and highs is something I look for. ...Easy :)

Thanks

P  

Edited by Waza75
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Waza75 said:

I think that something which helps H4s slightly in the lower end but not losing the mids and highs is something I look for. ...Easy :)

Thanks

Get something with tone controls perhaps? Yamaha stereo gear has useful tone and variable loudness controls. Prolly more reliable than the boutique stuff too.

• Like 5

On 6/13/2020 at 8:08 AM, Waza75 said:

Hi All,

I need your assistance. I have purchased Heresys IV two weeks ago and I am looking to upgrade my amlpifier as well. So I am looking for a solid state (maybe hybrid?) to power them. Budget 2000 USD more or less. As you know in this price range there are hundrets of not bad amps on the market and after tons of hours reading on internet I decided to ask here, where people know a bit more on Klipsches pairing.

I got my long list already to demo, but I would like shorten this to 3 amps. So any recommendations very highly appreciated.

Till now I would think about:

1 Vincent (not sure which one SV 500, 227 MK, or 237MK)

2 Rogue Audio Sphinx V3 (a bit pracey and hard to demo where I live)

3 Unison Research Simply Italy (I have demoed it and I think it is a bit weak on bass, and it is all valve which I do not want becouse of many reasons, placement etc)

Thanks

P  

You did not mention if an integrated amp is what you want. But if I was looking for a power amplifier only there are three that are on my radar. 

1. Benchmark AHB2 - the best, but 3,000.00

2. Denafrips Hyperion - Great specs, under budget

3. VTV iPurifi stereo. Half your limit.  But Class D. To me a Class D amp is like owning a Peugeot. Great ride, just hope your friends do not see it.

All three will be dead silent. You will not know if on or off with ear against the speakers. You will need either a dac with volume control or preamp. I prefer a dac with volume.

Used is hard for me, most want 60 - 70% of MSRP for current products and 50% for 20 year old products online. The GW and CL options are there. Where I live is an audio wasteland. 

If a new integrated under 2,000.00 is what you want. There an option way under cap. Love mine hooked up to LS II.

The Micromega MyAmp is low power, but is plenty for H IV.  Dead quit, cannot tell if on. Great preamp, dac, Bluetooth, and remote in one package. Has trickle down technology from the Micromega M-One series of 5 - 7K integrated amplifiers. Plus sub out. (This MAY be of interest in the future)

Is available CHEAP. 

• Like 2

On 6/13/2020 at 9:08 AM, Waza75 said:

Hi All,

I need your assistance. I have purchased Heresys IV two weeks ago and I am looking to upgrade my amlpifier as well. So I am looking for a solid state

YAMAHA A---S2000

------post-113548-0-59708300-1365903918_thumb.

• Like 2

I have tried many integrated with Klipsch Heritage, and I own a set of Heresy IV and Cornwall IV. I recently acquired and reviewed a Naim Atom and I have never heard the Cornwall's sound better. It even bests my Vinnie Rossi L2i SE integrated which costs 8X more. I am moving the Atom to a room with the heresy IV's and will buy a Naim Nova for the Cornwall's. Not bright, not harsh, not analytical or fatiguing. The Atom blew my mind, and even challenged my belief system as to what could be done with an all in one. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Panelhead said:

You did not mention if an integrated amp is what you want. But if I was looking for a power amplifier only there are three that are on my radar. 

If a new integrated under 2,000.00 is what you want. There an option way under cap. Love mine hooked up to LS II.

The Micromega MyAmp is low power, but is plenty for H IV.  Dead quit, cannot tell if on. Great preamp, dac, Bluetooth, and remote in one package. Has trickle down technology from the Micromega M-One series of 5 - 7K integrated amplifiers. Plus sub out. (This MAY be of interest in the future)

Is available CHEAP. 

You are right, I should say it clearly. Yes I am looking for an in integrated unit. Micromega sounds interesting. I only wonder if this will sound significantly better than my old Sony F519 R I want to replace? Have you heard it maybe?  

3 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

YAMAHA A---S1000

------

Again I am not sure if this is a major upgrade from my sony. I think I would buy something only if I feel really a difference. 

1 hour ago, SteveAudioFan said:

I have tried many integrated with Klipsch Heritage, and I own a set of Heresy IV and Cornwall IV. I recently acquired and reviewed a Naim Atom and I have never heard the Cornwall's sound better. It even bests my Vinnie Rossi L2i SE integrated which costs 8X more. I am moving the Atom to a room with the heresy IV's and will buy a Naim Nova for the Cornwall's. Not bright, not harsh, not analytical or fatiguing. The Atom blew my mind, and even challenged my belief system as to what could be done with an all in one. 

This is very interesting what you are saying. I actually thought about it since there was one pretty cheap a second hand Atom in my city to buy,  but after all I read somewhere (in few places) that the bass is a bit weak comparing to the rest of the spectrum. how do you find it playing with Heresys? Let's be open, they are just a bit soft in the low end. Bass is fast and controlled but I miss a bit a proper foundation in some recordings, not much and not always, but it would be good to have a strong amp in this part of the spectrum. My second argument against Atom (and all-in-one in general) that it will be ageing fast. ...but I can live with it (in particular buying a second hand unit) if only it sounds that good :)

Edited by Waza75

26 minutes ago, Waza75 said:

Again I am not sure if this is a major upgrade from my sony. I think I would buy something only if I feel really a difference.

The Yamaha A-S1000 are high end series ---the A-S11000 is the latest   old school /excellent preamp/ amp ---here is the A-S2100 - 52 lbs - these are not your average Yamaha amp  -

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Waza75 said:

You are right, I should say it clearly. Yes I am looking for an in integrated unit. Micromega sounds interesting. I only wonder if this will sound significantly better than my old Sony F519 R I want to replace? Have you heard it maybe?  

Never heard the Sony. I am more of a diy amplifier builder. But give the Sony the ear test. Turn volume up to 75%. Place your ear near the tweeter and midrange horns. Turn it off and do again. If it sounds the same your Sony is fine, if not find something quieter. 

The MyAmp is 279.00 from AccessoriesforLess new. I ordered one when they were 229.00. They list for 649.00.

Was blown away, did not need an amp, just felt right.  It has been one of my better purchases. 

A used one sells for more, 350.00 - 400.00 range.

8 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

YAMAHA A---S1000

------post-113548-0-59708300-1365903918_thumb.

That's actually a photo of the A-S2000 but both would apply here.:P

I have demoed my A-S1000 with my current RB-75s, RF-63s and Heresy IIs.  All great synergy.

Bill

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

good man ,

In Google images, when you type Yamaha A-S1000, one group of photos has the gut shot of the A-S2000 mixed in with the A-S1000 photos. I made that mistake more than once.  Pretty easy to tell with side by side photos, the A-S1000 has (4)18,000uf power caps while the A-S2000 has (4)22,000uf power caps.  Also, the A-S2000's circuit board has quite a bit more stuff on it.

Bill

On 6/14/2020 at 7:55 AM, Panelhead said:

1. Benchmark AHB2 - the best, but 3,000.00

2. Denafrips Hyperion - Great specs, under budget

3. VTV iPurifi stereo. Half your limit.  But Class D. To me a Class D amp is like owning a Peugeot. Great ride, just hope your friends do not see it.

All three will be dead silent. You will not know if on or off with ear against the speakers. You will need either a dac with volume control or preamp. I prefer a dac with volume.

Used is hard for me, most want 60 - 70% of MSRP for current products and 50% for 20 year old products online. The GW and CL options are there. Where I live is an audio wasteland. 

Is available CHEAP. 

The benchmark is the best amplifier I have owned. By a long shot. Unfortunately you will be hard pressed to find them used. But if you’re Willing to go up to 3k you will not be disappointed. They have a trial period where you can return it if it doesn’t meet your expectations. 
its been a Stereophile A rated amp since it’s intro. By far the least expensive A rated amp in their reviews. And before anyone screams about Stereophile, benchmark does not advertise with them!

josh 

On 6/15/2020 at 7:52 AM, willland said:

In Google images, when you type Yamaha A-S1000, one group of photos has the gut shot of the A-S2000 mixed in with the A-S1000 photos. I made that mistake more than once.  Pretty easy to tell with side by side photos, the A-S1000 has (4)18,000uf power caps while the A-S2000 has (4)22,000uf power caps.  Also, the A-S2000's circuit board has quite a bit more stuff on it.

Bill

The Built quality of the A-S2000 is really impressive and equal to the top designs of the best Japanese amps of the 70's , now back then  in say 76 , such a high end amp cost about 1k$ which was a lot of money , and 45 years later , a modern version , used in excellent condition is about 1500$ ,  it's a bargain ,  and these amps will last 20  years easy  if not double that -

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

a short update. Thanks for all the recommendations. reading yours and checking other reviews I decided to get my shortlist in a head to head shoot out [emoji4] Vincent 237MK (German hybrdid monster 2x150W), Naim Atom (solid state, one of recommended amps here, 2x40W), Unison Research Simply Italy (full valve 2x12W) and my nearly 30 years old Sony f519R (solid state, I guess 2x130W). And to make it short, my order from the good to the best matching would be: 4 Sony, 3 Vincent, 2 Atom and 1 Unison. I wrote from good to the best, because they actually all sound good including my old Sony and I cannot say anything but good things about those amplifiers. I think this is also because heresy IV are such a good speakers.I guess anything you hook up to will sound reasonable probably:) I had them only for 3 days, so this is not a proper testing but still the choice was not that hard to make.

OK few words on the sound and some explanation. I would say that all the three solid state amplifiers sound pretty similar. The Vincent's power amp makes it sound as a solid state, and actually it was a bit brighter and sounds were less glued than in case of all the others. I had a hard time to pick my preferred sound, until... I started the Unison amp.  Not in every song, but in some really a magic is happening comparing to the all the rest. I guess the sound is not neutral, it is sweet comparing to a bit dry sounding SSes,  high frequencies are rolled off - it is not a reference sound, but still (at least for me) it sounded great. Guitars, voices, drums sounded very realistic and natural. And in some cases I got a feeling that the stereo separation is better. In some recordings there was an impression of a surround sound when the rest of amps was a bit more 2D. Unison has this third dimension. Although the stage seems to be lower than in SSes (I guess because of highs roll off). There is a bit less detail /resolution, highs are not that crisp but overall felling is that the music sounds right, as it should be.

So being fully aware that the amp is not neutral and lowers the stage ... I picked it [emoji4] it just sounds good with Heresys. This is just my taste, maybe someone else would have another opinion (although my wife and my brother sheared my view).

I want to add on more thing. Returning Naim Atom I was offered to check home a Chinese high end amp Line Magnetic LM 34ia. This is a tube,  2x40W, point to point amplifier. I must say it looks impressive and sounds very good, but... again I preferred the smoky sound of Unison more. Maybe for electronic music it had a bit more live, but in reproducing voices and real instruments Unison is a master in comparison. 

IMG_3493.thumb.JPEG.808015e459aaa515e338832042195bc9.JPEG

IMG_3525.thumb.JPEG.a4224bcf71514439b44ff0e66128e6fa.JPEG

IMG_3507.thumb.JPEG.ca7fdcb15925ede66503fd4f3b3afc83.JPEG

Edited by Waza75
  • Like 1