LaScala - SVS Sub - Sansui 9090 question

mark heija

Hello Forum Folks,

I've recently had to send my Sansui 9090DB in for servicing and brought my 9090 home from work (forgot how really heavy these are!). The 9090 has no PreOut for the Sub so I'm ordering a Russound ADP-1.2 to take the speaker level down to line level. My concern is the warning in the manual (photo attached) about using 4ohm speaker combinations. Need I worry?

Thanks for any help,

-Mark

PlannedHook-up.jpg

That's the manual for the receiver and not the Russound device, right?

If it's the receiver, you should not  have a problem. That's because the Russound device presents a much higher than 4 ohm impedance to the receiver. The receiver manual is referring to connecting extra SPEAKERS where a 4 ohm impedance is possible. The resistors on the Russound board have a resistance much higher than 4 ohms. To prove my theory, you could use a voltmeter set to measure resistance, on the input terminals. You should see a number in the hundreds of ohms, if not higher.

5 minutes ago, mark heija said:

Will do. Wondering why more efficient speakers would be be an issue for the 9090.

Think may be concerned about the

load from the sub warning. Not to obsession but I always am touching the power unit, especially when driving it harder than usual

with different speakers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Think may be concerned about the

load from the sub warning. Not to obsession but I always am touching the power unit, especially when driving it harder than usual

with different speakers.

Good point, even though they are 4 ohm they aren't sucking a lot of juice. If they were rated in the 80s for efficiency I wouldn't even consider it.

• Like 1

Well I've been keeping a close eye (actually my hand) on the receiver and everything's fine. 

Unfortunately, I'm guessing the years of not having a turntable running through the 9090 seems to have left the phono input a bit wacky. No help from Deoxit.

Not going to worry for now, I'll have a phono stage in the Sweet Vinyl Sugar Cube on the way... glad my nostalgia had me hang on to all the old vinyl.

When the 9090DB's home I'll send the 9090 in for a tune-up. 

Thanks again for the advise, Mark

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 6/14/2020 at 2:40 PM, mark heija said:

Will do. Wondering why more efficient speakers would be be an issue for the 9090.

I would bet it's no issue at all.

LaScalas, capable sub and a 9090, should be a great sound together. 

• Like 1