Xilica PEQ Settings for KPT-942/4

Dave A

I have tried the recommended xilixa setting for the KPT-942/4  and get really weird results. For instance on Pinball Wizard's acoustic guitar intro I can barely hear it and then the electric guitar comes blasting out. Other odd bits are missing too from other songs. Now I go back to the settings I came up with for my S-MWM and it sounds pretty darned good. I have serially  jumped the two sets of woofers together in the bass bin and have read a 7.6 ohm load on them. I notice the factory 535 crossover I have also has a spot where you can hook up the two sets of woofers in the 415lf as two feeds and not as one. As far as I can tell this is the only difference in what the stock configuration would be but since it is the LF side of it all I don't see how it would effect HF output. Great sounding setup but I know there is more there to be had.

Could it be a left right channel thing? Meaning the guitar is in the right channel primarily but you’re listening to the left there for somewhat muted and then all the sudden the other one comes in but it’s on the left channel and comes crashing in on you?

On 6/15/2020 at 10:45 AM, Coytee said:

Could it be a left right channel thing? Meaning the guitar is in the right channel primarily but you’re listening to the left there for somewhat muted and then all the sudden the other one comes in but it’s on the left channel and comes crashing in on you?

When I use the PEQ's for my S-MWM the acoustic guitar is loud and clear. Yes it is a different channel but muted to almost inaudible with the recommended PEQ's. I hope by summers end to know how to use REW well enough to solve these problems on my own. Right now I have no idea what is wrong.

6 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Clearly crappy speakers.  When should I arrive to take them off your hands?  Seriously.....any speaker that won't play an acoustic guitar.....gotta go.

Can you be here today?

• Haha 1

The people at Duratex who suggested this maintain there are speaker companies that do this with no trouble. Now what no trouble really means I don't know but saw horses are easy to set up away from things. When it gets up to 90 or better I have real trouble with that stuff if I need to re-roll.

18 minutes ago, Dave A said:

The people at Duratex who suggested this maintain there are speaker companies that do this with no trouble. Now what no trouble really means I don't know but saw horses are easy to set up away from things. When it gets up to 90 or better I have real trouble with that stuff if I need to re-roll.

Probably done in a down draft spray booth.

On 6/13/2020 at 10:41 AM, Dave A said:

I have tried the recommended xilixa setting for the KPT-942/4  and get really weird results. For instance on Pinball Wizard's acoustic guitar intro I can barely hear it and then the electric guitar comes blasting out. Other odd bits are missing too from other songs. Now I go back to the settings I came up with for my S-MWM and it sounds pretty darned good. I have serially  jumped the two sets of woofers together in the bass bin and have read a 7.6 ohm load on them. I notice the factory 535 crossover I have also has a spot where you can hook up the two sets of woofers in the 415lf as two feeds and not as one. As far as I can tell this is the only difference in what the stock configuration would be but since it is the LF side of it all I don't see how it would effect HF output. Great sounding setup but I know there is more there to be had.

Hey Dave,  Got those beautiful horns installed and finally up and running (somewhat) after a long hiatus. I am curious, I almost always hear people talking about the Xilica dsp I have no hands on experience with the brand, but have had many dbx components and bought a dbx Driverack. I see the Xilica has a higher sample rate, but otherwise their functions are basically the same. Why did you choose the Xilica versus the Driverack? I am just curious!

I am having issues of a similar nature with my dsp. Instrumental playback sounds good but vocals are somewhat muted and breathy, as if it is compressed...no compression, limiting, or alignment are on. I have experimented with the different MF attenuation settings on my passive HF/MF X-over but the problem persists. Tweaked the PEQ here and there with no real luck and like yourself have not deciphered REW yet....way over my head. I have utilized the dbx Auto EQ also with no effect on the issue at hand. Weak vocals and breathing is the best I can describe it.

Hope you are doing well Dave! Give me a shout when you get to Nashville sometime.

12 hours ago, Ol_mcdonald said:

Hey Dave,  Got those beautiful horns installed and finally up and running (somewhat) after a long hiatus. I am curious, I almost always hear people talking about the Xilica dsp I have no hands on experience with the brand, but have had many dbx components and bought a dbx Driverack. I see the Xilica has a higher sample rate, but otherwise their functions are basically the same. Why did you choose the Xilica versus the Driverack? I am just curious!

I am having issues of a similar nature with my dsp. Instrumental playback sounds good but vocals are somewhat muted and breathy, as if it is compressed...no compression, limiting, or alignment are on. I have experimented with the different MF attenuation settings on my passive HF/MF X-over but the problem persists. Tweaked the PEQ here and there with no real luck and like yourself have not deciphered REW yet....way over my head. I have utilized the dbx Auto EQ also with no effect on the issue at hand. Weak vocals and breathing is the best I can describe it.

Hope you are doing well Dave! Give me a shout when you get to Nashville sometime.

I am no expert on the Xilica and I have had the Xilica and two types of the DBX too. The Xilica I believe has more fine tuning abilities than the DBX although for quick down and dirty stuff DBX along with a mike can do better room EQ than the old Integra I had with Audessy on it. Again I say that without having real comprehensive knowledge on how to really use any of these. Post a thread on this topic and get feedback from the guys who know. I am going to try out a Mini DSP HD soon and see how that goes after reading comments on the forum. The Xilica is supposed to be quieter and is surely the most expensive of the three mentioned here.

Have you considered that it might be a bad recording? I have had to dump many favorites over time since I could not stand the bad engineering on them. Audacity can help here and Chris A has some great writeups on this. Sad thing about great fidelity speakers is they make great recordings a thing of joy and bad ones untenable. HEY PM me your address and contact info again. I will be in Nashville on and off and would like to stop in and visit.