Heresy 1 HBR refinish

On 7/8/2020 at 12:05 PM, ZINDA89 said:

I think the pictures will say it all, just be ready to put some time and money into them.

I Always wanted to reach that type of Finish - PIANO BLACK -----can you please tell us how you did  it ------I apologize for asking , but Man , are these beautiful

40 minutes ago, ryanlahay2002 said:

After many hours, they are complete :) Thanks for all the tips guys, i'm very happy with how they turned out.

impressive , what a transformation , did you take pictures -------if  you did , please post them -

On 7/9/2020 at 8:14 PM, RandyH 000 said:

I Always wanted to reach that type of Finish - PIANO BLACK -----can you please tell us how you did  it ------I apologize for asking , but Man , are these beautiful

Sorry.

Edited by ZINDA89
An error occured

First thing I found that was needed is a proper stand that you can mount the speaker on. I made one using stuff I had laying around. This is the main tool that allows you to keep the speaker suspended while working on it. It will allow you to rotate it while you work since you cannot set the speaker down on any side while you're working. 

Once that's built, then plan on picking up an assortment of Sanders, a peanut grinder is needed for tough stuff, I also use a sander an old craftsman 1/2 sheet sander, 4x ⅓ sheet Sanders and 3x palm sanders (all loaded with different grades of sandpaper) I also have a a powered hand planer which I found to be very useful on water damaged wood. Sandpaper grades from 30 to 3000, stacks of each of them 30-60-80-120-180-300-500-1000-2000-3000 seem to work the best. Do not get harbor freight paper or you'll get nothing done, it simply doesn't release the paint from the grit. I also have 4 polishers, small 6” dual action, work ok but I found that a right angle variable speed drill works better than any expensive polishers. More torque, better speed consistency, youll need pads and covers, rubbing compound, polishing compounds pastes ect... Some files, scrapers, plastic spreading tools, Bondo, wood filler. Wood sealer, primer, all sand paper needs to be wet sanding, all paint needs to be lacquer and nothing but lacquer or youll be scraping it off and starting over.

Sanding blocks for hand sanding, long straight edges for checking top levelness and straightness across entire surface. Grinding discs, baking soda and crazy glue or finishing nails and Bondo for rebuilding edges. When you get these things rounded up then you can get started, contact me after you have these required tools and I'll help you in another thread since it will be quite involved and you will need 3 more things before you get started, unlimited money, you cannot do this and expect it to be done for cheap, your first time, 1 speaker will probably end up costing well over $300 in paint and supplies, it will cost less as you get better. My first set of big speakers like these was over $500 and 500+ hours of my time. The 2nd thing you need is time, you can't rush it, you need to do  little bit then wait and see what happens a few days later, your entire work could turn into cracks or peeling or won't dry for some reason , wood warps and changes, edges bubble up and things go wrong tht you will not be able to predict, lastly you need patience, you can't get frustrated and elect everything to go smoothly, it simply will not obey, you can't give up and expect it to finish it's self, never has, never will. You'll need to read even more than I can tell you since others have done this more than I have, what they did and how they did it will vary. No one way is the best, it comes down to what's available and the condition of the wood. 

Guitar refinishers have knowledge on working with smaller surfaces using different techniques that also need to work on rounded surfaces, there's a bunch of info in those forums. Many things they do doesnt transfer to larger objects due to cost and time. They may restart 10 times and use paints that coat a fortune to cover a smaller guitar body, each time you restart a speaker you just spent $100. I can point you in the direction you need to start but youll have to put in the hours of trail and error to get anything done.

3 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

ZINDA89----please never change the text of my posts ------I am the only one that writes my posts -

I started typing ”first” and it didn't appear where it was supposed to, I tried to correct it but there was no way to change it, I don't even know how they happened, I, sorry but I had no control over that and still can't figure out how it happened?

5 minutes ago, ZINDA89 said:

I started typing ”first” and it didn't appear where it was supposed to, I tried to correct it but there was no way to change it, I don't even know how they happened, I, sorry but I had no control over that and still can't figure out how it happened?

cool -you can go back and correct it -   click on edit --------that's it-------by the way , these speakers you repaired are the nicest Heresy cabs I ever saw on this forum , great job

I tried several times to remove it and you can see how it came through all strangely reconstructed, I had no intentions of changing anything and have no idea how it even ended up there and had to leave it. I thought it my not actually end up posting it like that so I just looked to see and wanted to send a message to the site asking about it.

4 minutes ago, ZINDA89 said:

How about the ops results on his veneer fix? Very nicely done

your work was way nicer , you must be the first forum member to achieve a perfect black piano finish , and ,  the amazing part is you did it with speakers that were in bad shaoe