Klipsch LaScala - $2800 (St Louis)

Edgar

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

the speakers are sold -----gone

It's a sellers market right now. I bet there is not more than twenty sets or so of used ones out there for sale. Fewest I have ever seen since I began to pay attention. I am betting people are rediscovering good things to do at home and one of them is music.

• Like 2

This is true Dave!

Just sold a pair of Belles to a guy who gave up his La Scalas of 20 years about 5 years ago and claims he regretted it ever since.  He's been cooped up at home and decided it was time to get back into it.  His buddy came over to his house for a listen and decided he had to have a pair so they called me up and bought a second pair I had but wasn't planning on selling until they made me an offer i couldn't refuse.  Now i'm thinking I should have held out for more... 

They went to good homes so can't complain, plus made some new friends!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Heaterman said:

This is true Dave!

Just sold a pair of Belles to a guy who gave up his La Scalas of 20 years about 5 years ago and claims he regretted it ever since.  He's been cooped up at home and decided it was time to get back into it.  His buddy came over to his house for a listen and decided he had to have a pair so they called me up and bought a second pair I had but wasn't planning on selling until they made me an offer i couldn't refuse.  Now i'm thinking I should have held out for more... 

They went to good homes so can't complain, plus made some new friends!

what did you replace the Belles with ?   ------khorns

43 minutes ago, Heaterman said:

Didn't replace them, just passing on some items I don't have room for.  Starting a complete house remodel next month so the money will help also.

I still have (1) pair of Belles (at dads house) and (3) KPT-435's (my house).

PM SENT

4 hours ago, Heaterman said:

Didn't replace them, just passing on some items I don't have room for.  Starting a complete house remodel next month so the money will help also.

I still have (1) pair of Belles (at dads house) and (3) KPT-435's (my house).

Are you using stock crossovers on those 435's?

7 hours ago, Dave A said:

Are you using stock crossovers on those 435's?

Dave,

The stock crossovers were so muted in the low frequencies I couldn't even EQ them close to what I wanted.  Not sure they're even the correct crossovers for the dual 15" bass bin.  The guys I bought them from had KPT-335s for sale also.  When I got mine, the high frequency sections had  pieces of tape labeled small speaker so they may have mixed up the upper section of the 335 & 435, not sure.  Anyway, I've played around with several crossovers from ALK (AP500/ES5800, ES700 2 way, and ALK Universal).  All worked and sounded really good, the AP500/ES500 sounded the best at higher levels but definitely needed more power than the universal to get the same DB level, the ES700 2 way with K-69A driver lost some of the high frequency sparkle but probably would have been a better option with a wider range driver, the universal sounded better at lower listening levels and was very good at high levels so for the money it's the best all around.  Even set them up with REW and the plots were perfect.  Got lucky that the (2) K-45 15" drivers wired in parallel have almost identical impedance to a single K-33 so they mated well.  I'm going full active now with individual channels powering each driver, pushing 800 watts in total to each speaker and they sound better than ever.  I've sold off all of the ALKs except the Universals.  Figured if I sell the speakers, the buyer will most likely want a passive system and they work exceptionally well, highly recommend them.

Mark

The crossover section for the bass bin should be a 50uf cap and a 2.5 or 2.75MH coil. I have a two way small 535 crossover that looks to be just for the two hf horns. I assume there was a separate crossover in the bass bin as described for the lf side from the factory. I also have a huge crossover for all three drivers and this thing is like 10" x 14" and covered in numerous components. I have yet to actually fiddle much with them so I don't know how they will sound. As you say  buyers mostly want plug and play though.

1 hour ago, Heaterman said:

D I'm going full active now with individual channels powering each driver, pushing 800 watts in total to each speaker and they sound better than ever.

whiich amp are you using QSC-CROWN ========

3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

whiich amp are you using QSC-CROWN ========

Lab Gruppen C20:8X (8 channel, 250 watts per channel, adjustable gain) with Xilica FR1 DSP.

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

The crossover section for the bass bin should be a 50uf cap and a 2.5 or 2.75MH coil. I have a two way small 535 crossover that looks to be just for the two hf horns. I assume there was a separate crossover in the bass bin as described for the lf side from the factory. I also have a huge crossover for all three drivers and this thing is like 10" x 14" and covered in numerous components. I have yet to actually fiddle much with them so I don't know how they will sound. As you say  buyers mostly want plug and play though.

I attached a couple of pics of the OEM crossovers.  They have a KPT-335 sticker on them but I've seen this on all the 510/703 top hats regardless of bass bin used.  they're approximatly 8" square and it's only the one crossover, nothing on or in the 904 bass bin.  One sticker claims the 904 bass bin will be 3 db higher than the 335 HF/MF but that's definitely not the case.  I don't know which capacitors and/or coils go to each driver.  Was going to reverse engineer them but had the ALK crossovers laying around and once I realized the drives had the same impedance (splitting hairs) as their original design criteria I hooked them up just to see and to my surprise were perfect (IMHO and REWs).  Never looked back and finally went active with great success!

IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

On 6/17/2020 at 10:36 AM, Mike Strong said:

I bought my La Scalas in 1982 in Bitburg, Germany when I was in the Air Force. I remember a guy I was stationed with being shocked that I paid $1000 for the pair. I remember him saying, "Do you know what kind of wardrobe I could buy for $1000." My reply was something along the lines of, "Yeah, when your clothes are all worn and tattered, I'll still be rocking with my Klipsch." Guess who was prophetic? 🙂

My friends thought I was nuts to buy KCBR Klipshorns when I was 23, for about $1,600. I put down $600 cash and got my very first bank loan for the rest, co-signed by my fiancee right before we were married. When I upgraded to Walnut Veneer versions, I sold them for $1,800 cash and bought the Walnut Ones from my younger brother for $1,000. What he has now is dog doo doo in comparison, but that's another story. I had Khorns for 30 years with a LaScala in for the center channel using PWK's Mini Box, as prescribed by him all along. 2PH3 was rare, even for Klipsch Demos at Indiana HQ, but it did happen once when Jim Hunter was still there.

• Like 1