any B-1B fans here

sunburnwilly

The Bone.

A plane that lends it's existence largely to North American Aviation and later Richard Nixon.  RDE from the Valkyrie Program was cannibalized through various channels.  The XF-108 tech got passed through to the A-5 Vigilante.  The XB-70's technology went to the B-1A.  It was Nixon and his SecDef that defined a need that revived the Bone subsequently in 1971, with the first B-1B design off the ground in 1974.

Interestingly enough, the Valkyrie Program, and the Archangel Program crossed paths several times, and had trickle down technology into modern day concepts, many of which are still being used (i.e. the B-1, the F-22, TR-X, and the F-35).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, The History Kid said:

The Bone.

A plane that lends it's existence largely to North American Aviation and later Richard Nixon.  RDE from the Valkyrie Program was cannibalized through various channels.  The XF-108 tech got passed through to the A-5 Vigilante.  The XB-70's technology went to the B-1A.  It was Nixon and his SecDef that defined a need that revived the Bone subsequently in 1971, with the first B-1B design off the ground in 1974.

Interestingly enough, the Valkyrie Program, and the Archangel Program crossed paths several times, and had trickle down technology into modern day concepts, many of which are still being used (i.e. the B-1, the F-22, TR-X, and the F-35).

I love this history kid. So glad he isn't bogged down in something like Boer Wars' Strategy. 

Like B-Billy I've also always been fascinated by the SR-71 "Blackbird" though I've never seen one in person.  The other military aircraft that I will always have a soft spot for are the ones that were employed during my stint in 'Nam back in '70-'71: 

The B-52 which you could just barely see as a silver dot in the skies above, but could easily hear the impact of its bombs even from several miles away and see the huge craters left in the ground afterward-

aa2f8e218adc8356d48944fd5442fda2.jpg.0a91451dd4e45b45efc0950f75888095.jpg

The Navy's F4 Phantom which we called in to "soften up" larger VC mountain encampments before our ground assaults-

an-air-to-air-right-side-view-of-two-f-4e-phantom-ii-aircraft-from-the-third-407506-1600.thumb.jpg.d493df9f4295e3d2d5952642066ab51f.jpg

And the Huey "Cobra" gunship with its nose-mounted mini-gun, 20mm cannon, and wing pods stuffed with rockets-

24171450451_780f764f97_c.jpg.3b77703ef67ce30c226ccb83adfc9bc9.jpg

These were impressive and awe-inspiring to see in action, definitely the advantage for the friendly troops on the ground while inducing mind-numbing fear for the foe.  Great thread, B-Billy!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

the B1-A is so much faster -------------I kind wonder if the slow speed of the B1-B is not a disatvantage , with todays faster and faster SAM missiles -

Not certain if OP had nostalgia as a reason to walk down memory lane so...

Who is B-Billy...

6 minutes ago, billybob said:

Not certain if OP had nostalgia as a reason to walk down memory lane so...

Who is B-Billy...

B-1A ------google says :

Unlike the B-1A, the B-1B cannot reach Mach 2+ speeds; its maximum speed is Mach 1.25 (about 950 mph or 1,530 km/h at altitude), but its low-level speed increased to Mach 0.92 (700 mph, 1,130 km/h). The speed of the current version of the aircraft is limited by the need to avoid damage to its structure and air intake

-Differences betwen B-1A and B-1B?

• Like 1

I work at WPAFB. Blackbird did several low altitude flyovers before landing to be taken to the museum. What caught everyone off-guard was how quiet it was compared to the stuff that usually comes in. I must have had a half dozen models of this thing as a kid, along with the X-15 and B-58 Hustler. I also have a big soft spot for the F-4.

I appreciate the B1-B, but aesthetically, it just doesn't do much for me.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

the B-1A was so much faster -------------I kinda wonder if the slow speed of the B-1B is not a disatvantage , with todays faster and faster SAM missiles -

The B model has an uparmored airframe.  That's another key reason, aside from the cheaper and more affordable powerplants.  The USAF also figured it could execute mission objectives in a CZ due to the deployment of the Wild Weasel roles - so the need for outrunning SAMs was seen as second nature requirements.  When they revisited the notion of how to deal with the SAM-gap issue, the ATB program resulted - we got the B-2 from that.  Subsequent development will likely show itself in the 2037-Bomber which is almost certain to meet a super-sonic requirement, stealth requirement, and be able to punch higher than the previous iterations of aircraft.

The YF-22 was faster than the F-22.

Have Blue was spec'd higher than the F-117.

You have to remember the B-1A was a technology demonstrator for all intents and purposes.  They rarely keep the same spec's as they had in RDE phases.

1 minute ago, billybob said:

The B-58 Hustler, now that was a speed merchant in it's day. Broke

speed records for it's time.

The Hustler was a tragic tale all in the same vein as many other Cold War designs.  LeMay liked the concept, but the problem I think it ran into was it had too much association with other century-series aircraft and designs - that got it some public flack.  Then the reconsolidation of aircraft in the 1960s pretty much made sure it was never going to come back.  Between the A-5 and the F-111, it's mission was covered - on paper anyway.

• Like 1

Biggest model I ever had was a B-52 with an almost three foot wingspan. B-58 Hustler loaded up with a few external tanks looked awesome to me as a ten year old.                        If any of y'all were there correct me but I think it was the year before or after Dale died that a B1B flew W to E over Daytona's Speedway. It came up on us lumbering slowly and quiet. Before it reached us the sound finally did then above and past the bike we were on it did appear twice as fast pretty darn big and loud. With the B-52 on the side of the Bee-Line from Orlando it was easy to see the new bomber was smaller.

• Like 1

Good-God we've got too much in common @oldtimer. Only one summer at the creek all my models and many more disentegrated in air - sea - tank warfare. We filled balloons with gas... back then they could last for a few minutes. Took them apart and put balloons in them. Put ships in the creek with firecrackers in them start the plastic on fire somewhere and the would melt and explode in a few minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunburnwilly said:

Had an Osprey fly over me today . Dem things are loud . Got a couple of pics but photobucket shit the bed so I can't post . 

They don't ride for poo either from what I understand.  Talked to many a Marine (and Soldier) that said they'd rather ride in an open air jeep than sit 20 minutes in one of them.