Who Built that ? Musings

joessportster

Why do people ask "Who built it ?"

Its never been of interest to me unless I set out to buy X from a particular builder / Company.  Buying from a company lets say Yamaha as an example, the company produces the product but they do NOT build it.  They have a labor force that does the work according to the company specs. So who built your yamaha ?  Answer "no one knows"  The best we can hope for is Yamaha produced it and QC at Yamaha tested it, it passed standard. Now its yours

With the above in mind. if you take a PROVEN design and ? builds it. As long as you or anyone has vetted the item and it works as intended what difference could it possibly make ?  Is it an added value ?, are we hoping some famous builder did the work ? and we just struck gold.

What difference it makes are the conditions for the workers. The "just offshore it" mentality has not only hurt American manufacturing, it has created an enormous amount of exploitation in the countries where the production went. Did American industry get complacent and make serious missteps that cost us jobs? Sure. But I've worked in American factories and on their worst days, even with small-town amateur management, they are better than the conditions normally found abroad. 

At least Apple stepped up and demanded Foxcon make changes for the workers. I'm sure it still not up toAmerican standards, but it is an example of offshoring with some concept of social responsibility. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, boom3 said:

What difference it makes are the conditions for the workers. The "just offshore it" mentality has not only hurt American manufacturing, it has created an enormous amount of exploitation in the countries where the production went. Did American industry get complacent and make serious missteps that cost us jobs? Sure. But I've worked in American factories and on their worst days, even with small-town amateur management, they are better than the conditions normally found abroad. 

At least Apple stepped up and demanded Foxcon make changes for the workers. I'm sure it still not up toAmerican standards, but it is an example of offshoring with some concept of social responsibility. 

Yes that is all understood. But my interest is more along the lines of a KIT that gets built, has been working fine for months, you go to sell it and its always one of the questions you get "who built it ?".........................I dont personally understand the importance of who. I am more interested in HOW IE Quality of said build has it performed as intended etc...

15 hours ago, Deang said:

Before I have surgery, I always ask, "so ... how many of these have you done?"

I don't think I would want anything from a first or second time kit builder.

First wife asked her surgeon if he and his wife were doing ok.

But he figured out she wanted to make sure his thoughts weren't elsewhere during surgery. I thought it was a great question and funny as hell at the same time.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Deang said:

Before I have surgery, I always ask, "so ... how many of these have you done?"

I don't think I would want anything from a first or second time kit builder.

Yes but  how many kits has the employee at any company actually built ?  You nor I have no way of knowing. I have seen many so called professionals jack stuff up. If a KIT has been used for months with no ill effect I would consider that much better quality control than any large companies QC

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Is there anything that you don't complain about? I'd like to see a thread about those things..

I dont give 2 SHITS what you would like to see. I dont exist to make you happy.  And for those that have issues with interpretation this is not a complaint its an observation with an inquisition as to motive.