Censorship II

joessportster

On 6/19/2020 at 6:47 PM, billybob said:

A never fb'er here.

My wife does... a lot. But she also  uses text and video chats a lot. Mostly to family members. She'll be in a 3 or 4 way call to a sisters in Iceand, Ireland, Philippines... The tech, for them has been wonderfull, in staying in touch with everyone.

And one of her grandsons  will call her in the middle of the night. He's 5....

• Thanks 1

'History erased': Family of woman who portrayed Aunt Jemima against renaming of syrup brand

The family of a Texas woman who was the goodwill ambassador for Aunt Jemima says it doesn't think the brand should be renamed.

Vera Harris, a family historian for Lillian Richard, one of several women who were paid to portray Aunt Jemima, rejected calls to change the brand's name.

“A lot of people want it removed," Harris said. "We want the world to know that our cousin Lillian was one of the Aunt Jemima’s, and she made an honest living. We would ask that you reconsider just wiping all that away. There wasn’t a lot of jobs, especially for black women back in that time. She was discovered by Quaker Oats to be their brand person."

Quaker Oats, which produces the Aunt Jemima brand syrup, announced on Wednesday its intent to rename the brand to avoid "racial stereotypes." The move follows the lead of other brands, including Land O'Lakes, which have been renamed or redesigned after the death of George Floyd set off weeks of nationwide protests against police brutality.

Harris said Richard is still considered a "hero" in her hometown in East Texas and that her community would prefer to remember history instead of erasing it.

“She was considered a hero in Hawkins, and we are proud of that," Harris said. "We do not want that history erased."

• Like 1

Did toppling the statue of Saddam in Iraq erase the history of his brutal regime?  I think we all remember it and it is documented.

Did changing the name of St. Petersburg to Leningrad erase history?  Was it forgotten, or was it renamed again to St. Petersburg after the fall of the USSR?  Forgotten, and now remembered?  Of course not, but logic and fact are not everyone's strong suits.

Has banning Nazi symbols in Germany erased the history of that brutal war machine and genocidal maniacs?  Tell me all about how we have lost those memories and the history has been erased.  Discuss relevant issues all you want, but use some common sense about not only what is history and what is not,  but how history is and should be properly documented.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It is just a label for a corporate product.  They get changed all the time.  Is it really "erasing history?"  Or is it boomer angst that their spoiled little world is changing?

I believe it's just another stupid move to be more PC at this time, and tomorrow it will be something else. Are they going to change Mrs. Butterworth to a white woman to be more PC, or would that be racist? The intellectual ones at the colleges have been mistake as having wisdom.

Just now, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I believe it's just another stupid move to be more PC at this time, and tomorrow it will be something else. Are they going to change Mrs. Butterworth to a white woman to be more PC, or would that be racist? The intellectual ones at the colleges have been mistake as having wisdom.

Who cares about how a corporation chooses to sell cheap syrup?  It is more properly a part of pop culture as opposed to history.  A changing pop culture is not an erasing of "history."

15 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Did toppling the statue of Saddam in Iraq erase the history of his brutal regime?  I think we all remember it and it is documented.

Did bombing the cities in Iraq, destroying their paved roads, power grids, running water, schools, etc.. and killing hundreds of thousand of the citizens not prove that we are more brutal than Saddam? History won't change there either. 

1 minute ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Did bombing the cities in Iraq, destroying their paved roads, power grids, running water, schools, etc.. and killing hundreds of thousand of the citizens not prove that we are more brutal than Saddam? History won't change there either. 

The history of what happened remains.  The morality of the actions taken can be debated, but that is a different topic.

• Like 1

Not so much erasing history, but finding racism in things that have been known and appreciated for decades.  That part is a little disconcerting.  I'm not losing sleep over any of it. 

It is a shame, though, that a race of people can be so insecure in their existence as to find remnants of  oppression in a bottle of syrup.  What a miserable life.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2020 at 7:22 PM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Enjoy this one for as long as it lasts. It will no doubt fall victim to the triggered word offended.  

pancake.thumb.jpg.80fab4238c7c6defbca219d1ec1bc5ba.jpg

I’ve thought for some time the word of the “day” that I always hear on news channels is “outrage”? There’s outrage over this decision,

there’s outrage over that statement, there’s outrage with their actions - . I’m outraged at all the outrageousness - 😏🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Not so much erasing history, but finding racism in things that have been known and appreciated for decades.  That part is a little disconcerting.  I'm not losing sleep over any of it. 

It is a shame, though, that a race of people can be so insecure in their existence as to find remnants of  oppression in a bottle of syrup.  What a miserable life.

Check out South Park, season 11, episode 1 if you can find it.  It does a good job explaining why you and I will never get some things.  Remnants?  LOL.

• Like 1