Contact Tracing by Cell Phones

Jeff Matthews

Under the guise of an optional Covid-19 reporting service for your benefit, Apple and Google have rolled-out a contact tracing feature.  Everyone you are near is now capable of being monitored (and reported to authorities).  This technology, to the extent it hasn't already existed, will usher in a new era of crime investigation and prevention.  If you get near criminals or suspects, watch out... you might just wind up on a list the police will use to red-flag you.

And if you don't want it?

1. Don't opt in.

2. Turn off Bluetooth on your phone. Turn it back on when you need it.

48 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Under the guise

I just used the word guise in another post. thought you may want to know that. 

what was that movie where people were arrested BEFORE they committed a crime? I didn't see it but I think the plot was something to the effect that those in control felt they knew who would become a criminal so they were arresting them before the crime was committed. 

is technology going to become Frankenstein?

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Under the guise of an optional Covid-19 reporting service for your benefit, Apple and Google have rolled-out a contact tracing feature.  Everyone you are near is now capable of being monitored (and reported to authorities).  This technology, to the extent it hasn't already existed, will usher in a new era of crime investigation and prevention.  If you get near criminals or suspects, watch out... you might just wind up on a list the police will use to red-flag you.

Big brother is watching and APATHY is allowing it to happen...........................But hey we are all just conspiracy theorists right ?

This is funny. They already know everything about you. The privacy ship sailed a long time ago. Your phone already hears and collects everything you say.

I say turn everything on and flood the system with data -- 99% of which is completely worthless.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Deang said:

This is funny. They already know everything about you. The privacy ship sailed a long time ago. Your phone already hears and collects everything you say.

I say turn everything on and flood the system with data -- 99% of which is completely worthless.

Right, but...

Just imagine the algorithms.  They can probably root out conspiracies when they see one member of the group buy X, another buy Y, etc.  It might mean nothing to you unless you happen to be buying some fertilizer at the same time your buddy Googles "Timothy McVeigh."

30 minutes ago, Deang said:

99%? They gather petaBytes (2^50) or even exBytes (2^60) of data. Let's say that one kiloByte (2^10 or 1024) about you is important. That's 2^10 bytes out of 2^60, or 0.00000000000009%, if I counted my zeroes correctly.

• Like 1