Vertical CW II's

ThomasD.

These just popped up 400 miles away.  Don't know much about them.  Seller asking $900 with very little information about them. I'd love to snag them but would like some input.  Are these the 'Decorator" model?  Drivers & x-overs seem original, yes/no?  Any info from those knowledgeable about these would sure be appreciated.  Thanks a bunch.

image9.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image6.jpeg

2 hours ago, ThomasD. said:

These just popped up 400 miles away.  Don't know much about them.  Seller asking $900 with very little information about them. I'd love to snag them but would like some input.  Are these the 'Decorator" model?  Drivers & x-overs seem original, yes/no?  Any info from those knowledgeable about these would sure be appreciated.  Thanks a bunch.

GLWS ------drivers and crossovers are original ------that's for sure

12 minutes ago, Seadog said:

I think I would just sand the cabinets and paint them black if those were mine.

WAF wouldn’t allow that finish unfortunately.  Would be a great first time veneer project. Upgrading the x-overs would be easy enough. I’d probably cheat and get a pair from Bob C.  The fact that there a vertical pair is intriguing also. 

1 hour ago, ThomasD. said:

Thinking of offering $700. Cosmetics are tolerable to me.  Looking for that Klipsch Heritage pricing guide. It always eludes me when I need it. 

these speakers were built in 1972 ---- 48 years old , the crossovers are all original and they will need to be recapped , 2 capacitors per crossover would be all that is needed , as far as picture no 4  ,  was it close to a fire ?   -----then we have picture no 2 , is that tar ,or wood chiminea residue - either way , yes they are the Decorator style , as you can see that there is no wood trim around  the front motorboard

1 hour ago, Seadog said:

I think I would just sand the cabinets and paint them black if those were mine.

I would second that opinion , CW Verticals are very cool looking speakers in black -IMG_6741.jpg

• Like 1

Well, good or bad they're now mine for $700.  Can't pick them up for a month or so, until I can get back down to Anchorage.  True Heritage models just don't show up often this far North.  May have been a late night impetuous decision but figure for the purchase price and a few hundred $'s in cosmetic & electronic upgrades, I'll still have a reasonably inexpensive set of somewhat unique CW's. Tried twice to get a ratty old pair of H1's from a seller in Kenai for $200 and both times the guy just quit responding.  This particular seller is a 'known' flipper whom I've bought from before.  Most of what I have found out about Raw Decorators indicates they usually came without grills, wonder if these are original grills then. These 1972 models are also labeled as CW II's so these were the 1st incarnation of a 2nd version?  Just trying to get a grasp on what I've got now.  Thanks

image9.thumb.jpeg.c0f213c5cf46959ed8b7219be27c4d72.jpeg
image4.thumb.jpeg.ec5e40337fc3a624be9a6a15581194da.jpeg
image7.thumb.jpeg.1b8431839e94073fc60889ac96ef293f.jpeg
image0.thumb.jpeg.3dd6615516efa9087d9d12c1bdcaa1bb.jpeg
image8.thumb.jpeg.6b066379f6986ada1d13107630fa5b8c.jpeg
image2.thumb.jpeg.1aa2fc3587e914f894f3df6937f05c60.jpeg
image5.thumb.jpeg.ce4fe250aea99b8288e446d1a4ab2d12.jpeg
image1.thumb.jpeg.f09d09f3f705cf048db23888298ab224.jpeg
image3.thumb.jpeg.dbcd24a915914184166550a11734af7f.jpeg
image6.thumb.jpeg.fc9efdcff130cd3e5e35f8a063ee7ff7.jpeg

Vertical Cornwalls are intended to lay on their side so the squawkers and tweeters are horizontal. If standing on the bottom the dispersion for the squawker and tweeter is limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

On 6/15/2020 at 8:05 PM, ThomasD. said:

image9.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

I still have my pair of vert decorator Cw's  (retired) that I ordered in '72. In '75(retired)  I ordered my second pair (horz) in walnut. (wife)  I used the '72's on their sides as centers for the "75's .   Both sets were without question Cornwall 1's.. Don't think these are 2's.   

but anyway, too much $$$   You can buy finished CW's for less      

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IB Slammin said:

I still have my pair of vert decorator Cw's  (retired) that I ordered in '72. In '75(retired)  I ordered my second pair (horz) in walnut. (wife)  I used the '72's on their sides as centers for the "75's .   Both sets were without question Cornwall 1's.. Don't think these are 2's.   

but anyway, too much $$$   You can buy finished CW's for less      

These are the 1st round of CW II's.  And the only pair that's shown up this far north in years. 

1 hour ago, ThomasD. said:

These are the 1st round of CW II's.  And the only pair that's shown up this far north in years. 

now you can restore them to your liking -------are you good with woodwork   -or will you have some help -

7 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

now you can restore them to your liking -------are you good with woodwork   -or will you have some help -

That's kinda my line of thinking.  I've built 3 homes for myself and done some wood working.  Have some Quartets, KG4's, Polk 7c's & SDA 2a's that need veneering also.  Plenty of winter projects. 😃

16 hours ago, ThomasD. said:

That's kinda my line of thinking.  I've built 3 homes for myself and done some wood working.  Have some Quartets, KG4's, Polk 7c's & SDA 2a's that need veneering also.  Plenty of winter projects. 😃

winters are very long in Alaska ------I hope you have a lot of fun -

Yes, too long for sure. It’s always been my dream to have a winter to do fun speaker restoration projects  I can find the projects but never seem to find the necessary time. Me being in construction and my wife working for Kroger Didn’t get us any time off this spring for the Covid 19 dilemma. Being able to work was a blessing compared to many but could have put some time off to good use.