"Studio 116"

Ol_mcdonald

I am interested in information  about room treatments as per Dope From Hope Volume 1, Number 4, dated 16 December 1960, and further described in Volume 5, Number 1, dated 24 February 1963 in what Mr Klipsch described as "Studio 116" . I am curious if any photos exist of that room and the placement and orientation of the panels described in those volumes. I understand of course every room is different and the placement in that room will likely be different from mine. 

I am mostly curious about their finish...if the Masonite sheet was left in their "mill" finish, painted, covered with other (fabric?) material, the actual framework used to mount them and how varied the height, width and depth was, but would appreciate any information on the polycylindric panels and Studio 116.

I am using 1977 vintage Klipschorns in a room closely similar in size and volume to Studio 116. My room is 16' x 26' x 9'6". 

My apologies if this has been spoken to, I would appreciate some reference to direct me to that thread. Thanks in advance!

116 refers to Building 116 of the WWII Southwest Proving Ground.  It was the telephone exchange that Paul bought after the war to become the first factory.  It is now the Klipsch Museum of Audio History.  "The Studio" was Paul's listening room, as well as where he recorded some of the Klipschtapes. 

The Masonite appears to have been bent and stapled over semi-circular gussets, and was painted along with the rest of the walls.  Sizes vary from 8' long by 3 1/2' tall by 12" deep for the largest, to 2 1/2' wide by 3 1/2' tall by 8" deep for the smallest.

20200618_130456.jpg

• Like 2

Excellent! Thank you for the reply and outstanding info. I have actually visited that site i do believe back around 1990 or so. I went to the office and asked about the museum and they said it is across the street, told me there was no one available to show me around and proceeded to hand me the keys and told me to make myself at home! I'll never forget that hot summer day and the smell of the inside.It was like paradise, so much to see and my imagination went wild. Oh the stories these pieces of audio history could tell. I've never been the same!

Can you tell me where the speakers and listening positions were located relative to this photograph? Are there any other photographs of the smaller polycylindric cylinders! Thank you again for the information, it is much appreciated! 

The listening position was very near the yellow t-shirt, with the 3-channel array on the opposite long wall.  PWK was adamant about using the long wall when possible.  With a derived center channel the width of the listening area is maximized.

Slide 720200 116 sound room 001.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...