Ford, Subaru and Nissan Water Pump Design

Jeff Matthews

Our Highlander was like this.  Had the water pump fail on me on a 0F degree morning.  Noticed the heat went away and then looked at the needle rising.  Pulled over and got a tow. 

It didn't cause the timing to slip, however, if you're clueless and keep drive, yeah, it's done... But same with overheating. 

I'm just glad I had the car that day and not my wife, since it was hers.  She would have cooked the motor or introduced some valves to some pistons. 

3 minutes ago, yamahaSHO said:

Our Highlander was like this.  Had the water pump fail on me on a 0F degree morning.  Noticed the heat went away and then looked at the needle rising.  Pulled over and got a tow. 

It didn't cause the timing to slip, however, if you're clueless and keep drive, yeah, it's done... But same with overheating. 

I'm just glad I had the car that day and not my wife, since it was hers.  She would have cooked the motor or introduced some valves to some pistons. 

is the Toyota motor design like the Subaru  -------

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

How is it different from a timing belt on an interference engine?  Just make darn sure you maintain a good belt.

it's not

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Replace the timing belt at the recommended interval.   While you're there put a pump and all the pulleys in.

especially on an interference engine

3 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

you must work for a car dealership..

let's take all your money..

lets see..new timing belt every 40K miles or new engine every 45K...hmmmm...that's a very hard decision to make.

1 hour ago, RandyH 000 said:

is the Toyota motor design like the Subaru  -------

No.  I've tuned a lot of Subarus and had an STi for 10 years.  The water pump is not part of the timing belt tract on the EJ motors.  I haven't looked at the FA motors, so I can't comment on them.

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Normally it's 60k minimum.

I stand corrected about the amount of miles, but I hope my point is still understood by others. I have a '90 Bimmer (love that car) with an interference engine. No way I am taking the chance of not replacing the timing belt at the recommended interval.

1 hour ago, babadono said:

I stand corrected about the amount of miles, but I hope my point is still understood by others. I have a '90 Bimmer (love that car) with an interference engine. No way I am taking the chance of not replacing the timing belt at the recommended interval.

Yep.  And don't forget if the miles are low there is also a time interval.  I would not go past 5 years.  E30's are great cars, but keep up that timing belt!

42 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

I noticed in the picture that the don't use spring loaded gears as tighteners but long plastic looking dinguses.

JJK

There's normally a tensioner on one end or the other that keeps the chain tight with an actuator that works off of oil pressure.

13 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Mechanic talk is fun, but the work sucks badly.  The guy in the video is a long-time car guru personality.  They'd have his arse if what he said was bunk.  He makes some pretty strong statements.  

Never watched it.