In need of a Heresy 1 crossover. (Type E)

Hey all, second post here. Assuming this is the right place for it.

Grabbed some heresy 1's recently that I'm refinishing and on one of them the tweeter and squawker don't work. Both read on my multimeter and I've tested them on the working crossover and they are just fine.

Okay, so I figured I just needed new caps.... nope. Swapped the components from the working crossover (caps and coil) to the "broken" crossover, and it still doesn't work... which leads me to believe its the autoformer, the one product klipsch no longer makes. 

Anyone know where I can get a autoformer ? One thats to the same specs? I would order a new crossover on ebay, but unfortunately I'm in canada and with shipping id be paying over 150$...

Any help appreciated. TIA

• Like 1

Hey Claude @ClaudeJ1,

I’ll bet you have a spare autoformer—or twelve—lying about.  Help out a newbie and fellow Canadian.  Meanwhile, I’ll look around to see if I have one in my parts supply, but I have a vague memory of giving some to you.

Welcome Ryan.  Someone will have what you need.  Have you tried swapping the autoformers to see if the problem, and function, follow the autoformers?

First try putting a audio signal though it and put your meter after the part you believe is bad and go from there
Do it on your good crossover if you see what your looking for
One watt is like 2.83 volts , or something very close to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, ryanlahay2002 said:

I would order a new crossover on ebay, but unfortunately I'm in CANADA  and with shipping id be paying over 150$...

Any help appreciated. TIA

Hey ryan, are you from Down East...

and is it Jim and you changed the spelling from Lahey to Lahay so no one would recognize your name?

Huge wink 😜

Love me some Trailer Park Boys!!!

15 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Bob Crites 

As I suggested in your other thread... Crites 😎

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HPower said:

Hey ryan, are you from Down East...

and is it Jim and you changed the spelling from Lahey to Lahay so no one would recognize your name?

Huge wink 😜

you two know each other ---is that it ?

Up here in Canada, everybody lives in an Igloo and knows everybody, even if one lives in PEI and one lives in Victoria.

Another tongue in cheek, huge wink 😜.

I was just kidding Ryan on his name that made me think of a Canadian cult classic TV show, called, "The Trailer Park Boys"

Mr, Jim Lahey was a very memorable character in the series. 

• Like 1

@ryanlahay2002, getting parts to Canada is a pain, but ... I built E crossovers using autoformer from Bob Crites, Erse inductor and Jantzen-z silver caps from Parts express. I had it all delivered to a place in the states I was visiting which kept the cost down. Caps and air inductors are available from Solen in Canada. Don’t think twice about getting the autoformers from Mr Crites, totally the go to person for that. 

1 minute ago, MC39693 said:

@ryanlahay2002, getting parts to Canada is a pain, but ... I built E crossovers using autoformer from Bob Crites, Erse inductor and Jantzen-z silver caps from Parts express. I had it all delivered to a place in the states I was visiting which kept the cost down. Caps and air inductors are available from Solen in Canada. Don’t think twice about getting the autoformers from Mr Crites, totally the go to person for that. 

Not sure where you are Ryan, I am in the GTA.

My work is only a bit over a hour drive from Niagara Falls, NY so I "normally" would have stuff shipped there and drive down and pick it up.

With no cross border travel for the foreseeable future, shipping directly to Canada should ONLY be done via USPS/Can Post!

Shipping may take a bit longer than UPS, FedX, etc... but CanPost will not rape you with brokerage fees like UPS, FedX will.

I agree with MC, sourcing caps for your Type Es is easily done via Canadian vendors such as Solen, Parts Conexxion.

But if you need new ATs, Bob is probably the way to go.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HPower said:

Up here in Canada, everybody lives in an Igloo and knows everybody, even if one lives in PEI and one lives in Victoria.

Another tongue in cheek, huge wink 😜.

I was just kidding Ryan on his name that made me think of a Canadian cult classic TV show, called, "The Trailer Park Boys"

Mr, Jim Lahey was a very memorable character in the series. 

yeah , I remember them ,

22 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

great , so you are all set

Thanks guys. After quickly looking at caps on Solen.ca I see their are MANY different types... now i could Google them all, or just ask you guys, Since you seem to all know what you're talking about. What would be my best option for price/performace? Looking to keep it under 5$ a cap but will spend more if its worth it. Also, what specs am I looking for? I'd assume "400v" but what "ohm" or whatever you wanna call it am i looking for? I see "2.0" thrown around here alot, is that the same as 0.0002ohms? And what the heck is Mfd LOL. 

Edited by ryanlahay2002

2.0 mfd is TWO micro farad the measure of capacitance as specified in the E crossover design. I don’t recall the voltage spec for the original E crossover but a 250 or 400 volt dc will work. There are several choices on Solen for <$5 per capacitor.  

Check the pinned thread in Technical Modifications called Klipsch Crossovers for schematics, the Heresy E type is on page 1.

Asking what capacitor to use, on this forum, is a very brave thing to do. Essentially it’s like asking who’s the best sports player ever.... get ready for a lot of opinion.

you might look for a used set of Heresy to get your auto transformers from and sell the remaining parts to recoup purchase expenses. You could buy a set of transformers from Bob Crites which would be the best option. Maybe you can check with established Klipsch dealers in your area see if a pair are to be found. Ask the local community via Canuck Audio Mart, lots of options but Bob is probably your fastest option for the parts.

Have you bothered to re flow the solder connections on the transformer with the issue? It might just be a cold joint worth a try.

Heresy I Type E Crossover.jpg

Your $5 per cap budget will shorten your list quickly! Nothing wrong with that but Solen likely only has about 4 caps that are <$5, are 2.0 mfd, and in stock quantity 4.  Dayton or Fast Cap brands, IIRC.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ryanlahay2002 said:

I was more asking about which kind... as in polarized, non-polarized, film and foil, metalized Teflon, metalized polypropylen... etc. Will they all work? Just depends on what kind I think will work best?

34 minutes ago, ryanlahay2002 said:

I think you are confused because you already told us what kind of cap you want, a cheap cap so forget about film and foil forget about Polypropylene and Teflon or paper in oil or film in oil as none of those will work with your budget, you will get a metalized poly cap but that will sound very much less than the good cap Bob will sell you. You really do get what you pay for so long as you shop wisely. What ever you buy I would suggest that you purchase four of them so both channels match. I don't suppose you really want suggestions to spend more money but that's just the way it is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moray james said:

I think you are confused because you already told us what kind of cap you want, a cheap cap so forget about film and foil forget about Polypropylene and Teflon or paper in oil or film in oil as none of those will work with your budget, you will get a metalized poly cap but that will sound very much less than the good cap Bob will sell you. You really do get what you pay for so long as you shop wisely. What ever you buy I would suggest that you purchase four of them so both channels match. I don't suppose you really want suggestions to spend more money but that's just the way it is.

I see. I just wanted to make sure i didn't need non-polarized or something. Thanks again for the help.

Quote: "I see. I just wanted to make sure i didn't need non-polarized or something. Thanks again for the help".

The only non polarized cap that would fit your budget would be an electrolytic which at this price point you don't want to go near. There are good sounding electrolytic caps but they won't be cheap. A poly cap with vapor deposited aluminum on plastic film is exactly what fits your price point. If you are not competent with a soldering iron find a buddy who is to solder them in for you and leave a half inch between the body of the cap and the connection point, this will insure you do not overheat the cap and damage it.

Dayton sell decent sounding caps for crossovers but I think they may be similar in price to Bob's caps check them out and see. Check around locally to see if you can find some good caps and save on the postage if you can. Postage might cost you near as much as the parts so if you can find a good source that is local you could afford to buy a better quality part without spending any more overall.