RF-3s OR RB-3s + RSW-10???????

Stephen328

Well, I love the sound of RF-3s and Rb-3s sound good too. I'm just not sure if id be better of with bookshelfs + sub. Id like to go RB-5s + RSW-10, but for now thats out of my range. Now I need help. I listen to about 90% music, and 10% movies. But I do love Bass. I think the sub plus rb-3s would be more than RF-3s though. Or maybe I could go RB-5s + a cheaper sub. Oh yeah, and what are your experiences with online dealers? I'd like to buy my speakers at tweeter where I auditioned them, but its alot more $$$$, but then again you get a warranty. Just not sure if I feel condfident blowing a grand online. Thanks for your Advice.

Stephen,

Originally I had the same decision as you did. I went in with the intention of buying bookshelves and a sub (in particular the RB3 and KSW-10/12), but once I heard the RF-3's and then the RSW-10, I was hooked. I ended up getting the RF-3's and the RSW-10 to start with. Even though I have the RSW-12 now, the 10 was a great sub.

I'd say of your two choices, take the RB-3's and RSW-10 if you can afford it. The RF-3's by themselves don't go as low as the RSW-10 is capable of. I think the RF-3's go down to around 35-45hz. I believe that's what I've read. The RSW-10 is good down to around 30hz. Of course the sub/sat combo is gonna cost you more than the RF-3's. I think the big thing is to set the exact dollar amount you have available for your upgrade and then review what your options are. If you love bass then I wouldn't consider anything less than an RSW-10 at least within the Klipsch line.

As for the online question, I've never bought equipment online. I know many people who have, but for me I prefer dealing with someone I know and to whom I can physically return stuff if I have a problem with it. The warranty issue is another reason to go to Tweeter and get your gear.

~shoe

Get the RF's and save to get the sub a little later. You're just going to regret the RB's and end up upgrading them anyway, no matter how good they sound. Check with Tweeter, they have some sort of trade-in policy. Maybe you won't lose that much by getting the RB's first, then upgrading. But if you do lose much $ on the deal, buy the RF's and wait on the sub.

Hey stephen. I was in the same situation as you are, not too long ago. I auditioned them both, and the rf3's just sounded better to me. Fuller I guess. I would just get the Rf3's and save for the RSW 10. Plus your sig says that you have a sub, so with the bass from the rf3's and your sub, you should be able to happy until you save for the rsw10. As far as where to buy them, do what I did. I printed the cheapest quotes that I found online and I took them to tweeter and they beat the prices!!! Funny thing was, that I took it to one tweeter and they beat the prices, but another tweeter said they didn't match internet prices. So if it doesn't work at one, maybe it will work at another. Also check to see if you have other dealers that are authorized. Hey the worse thing that can happen is that they say no.

I agree with the majority here. You will definately get more bass with the RSW-10 plain and simple. But what you really want is the RF-3II's. But, they won't put out near the bass of the RSW-10. So buy the RF-3II's and save to buy a good sub later. If you buy the RB-5's you won't have the same full sound as you get with the RF-3II's, so your gonna spend more money upgrading later. Also if you have a cheap sub, continue using it. Don't spend $250 on a cheap sub and get a better one latter cause that is just throwing away money, cause when you want to sell the $250 sub your only get $75 for it. So just get the RF-3II's and save for a good sub.

I have the RB5's and an older SW10(1994 vintage)with my system. I have the RB's on 28" stands and that is the perfect height for listening while sitting in front of the HT system. The SW10 performs fine with this setup. The speakers are set to small. The subwoofer is turned up about halfway. My family and I watched the new Star Wars yesterday, and there were several places that the bass was so awesome I thought my seat had built in vibrators. Definately a rush.

3.gif

I am guessing the RB-3's and ksw10 would out perform the RF-3II's at least in bass. But if I were you I wouldn't buy the ksw 10. Too small, your gonna want to upgrade right away. there is a huge(not even comparable) difference between the ksw 10 and rsw 10 in bass. But I also understand what the other difference is too. Huge money difference. I however would save for a better sub. Just my opinion.

• 8 months later...

I just got my RF-35 system at Good Guys for a great deal. I have been debating if I should order online at Accousticsounddesign or at B&M store. I decided to give GoodGuys a try since they let me audition the speakers. To my surprise, they came pretty close to the online price. I went on Monday and the salesman said the department boss wasn't there, and he was able to give me that good price. So, go ahead, give your local store a chance. Besides, the 5 yr warranty is nice to have when you buy from an authorized dealer. Just remember to bring the price you found on the web to the store, you might get a pleasant surprise!

1.gif2.gif4.gif5.gif