Would I benefit from using a separate amp vs receiver?

Castx

I've gone down the rabbit hole of separates vs receivers and came out the other end with more questions than answers and was hoiping I could get some community feedback.

My current setup is as follows:

Mains: RP-8000F

Center: RP-504C

Surrounds: RP-402S

Receiver: Denon X3500H

Sub: SVS PB-2000

I'm planning on adding atmos modules in the near future.

I'm currently debating on adding a Crown XLS 1502 into the mix to take some load off the receiver and to see if I can gain a noticeable improvement with what the RP-8000F's can offer.

For those who added a separate amp into their setups, I would love to know what your experiences have been and whether adding an amp should be my next step into finessing my setup.

Thanks in advanced.

Realistically, no. 

But, it won't hurt beyond your wallet.

Your power demand during a movie, perhaps excepting a heavy metal concert, will normally be just a few watts and peak well under 100.  That's how the manufacturers can get by with too small power supplies, They just aren't used. 

A better solution for quality sound would be to a a multi-channel power amp for all channels and use your receiver as a pre/pro.  It is an additional layer of complication and turn-on/turn-off sequence begins to matter.  Look at Parasound, Acurus, Emotiva, Marantz, Rotel, Integra. 

At the cost of adding a quality amp, you may see that replacing your receiver with a muscular, high quality receiver a better choice.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/Products/model.php?m=DRX-R1.1&class=Receiver&source=prodClass#prettyPhoto

I have the room and am willing to accept the complication, so I have all separates with 3 power amps and 9 channels. 

My experience.  

With my RF-63s/RC-64/RS-35s main system in a 5000+ cu ft room, I went from a mid level Onkyo TX-SR705(100w/ch in stereo) to adding a B&K Reference 4430(200x3) driving my LCR and the improvements were immediate.  Substantially better bass drive, more open and detailed, dynamics galore.

Bill

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JohnA said:

Realistically, no. 

But, it won't hurt beyond your wallet.

Your power demand during a movie, perhaps excepting a heavy metal concert, will normally be just a few watts and peak well under 100.  That's how the manufacturers can get by with too small power supplies, They just aren't used. 

A better solution for quality sound would be to a a multi-channel power amp for all channels and use your receiver as a pre/pro.  Look at Parasound, Acurus, Emotiva, Marantz, Rotel,

John,

He has told us the speakers, but he has NOT told us the room size NOR the amount of music vs: Movies he listens to?

Depending on if you like movies or music more, I would spend the money on the best Sub you can afford and have room to fit first.

Secondly and especially if you have the room and funds, I would buy speakers that are the best you can afford.

John has mentioned some good brands of multi channel amplification, but if you have the real estate, I prefer multiple amplifiers over a single multi channel amplifier for EXACTLY the same reasons you want to try separates in the first place. I run four old Nakamichi Stereo amplifiers to get my seven channels of surround sound. Each of my amplifiers weighs around 75 pounds each, so I have around 300 pounds of amplification.

The place where separates will really shine is for music. Lots of headroom will give you a little better bass hit at low listening volumes, kind of like a loudness button.

Any more questions please ask.

Roger

1 minute ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

John,

He has told us the speakers, but he has NOT told us the room size NOR the amount of music vs: Movies he listens to?

Depending on if you like movies or music more, I would spend the money on the best Sub you can afford and have room to fit first.

Secondly and especially if you have the room and funds, I would buy speakers that are the best you can afford.

John has mentioned some good brands of multi channel amplification, but if you have the real estate, I prefer multiple amplifiers over a single multi channel amplifier for EXACTLY the same reasons you was to try separates in the first place. I run four old Nakamichi Stereo amplifiers to get my seven channels of surround sound. Each of my amplifiers weighs around 75 pounds each, so I have around 300 pounds of amplification.

The place where separates will really shine is for music. Lots of headroom will give you a little better bass hit at low listening volumes, kind of like a loudness button.

Any more questions please ask.

Roger

My apologies, I should have mentioned these details as well.

Room size is about 300 ft² but the whole floor is open concept and is open to an additional 800 ft² of space.

I would wager 70/30 for Movies/Music. When we play music, we like to crank it in order to hear around the whole house.

These RP's are basically my end-game speakers, I am quite happy with them, and now looking to fill in the gaps where I can, whether that be room correction (limited due to open concept), amplifiers, atmos speakers, etc.

I feel the next best step would be to add a power amp for the L/R before adding any additional speakers and move forward from there.

Thanks for all the input thusfar.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Castx said:

Room size is about 300 ft² but the whole floor is open concept and is open to an additional 800 ft² of space.

BIG room as far as square footage including additional space.  What is the ceiling height?

Bill

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Castx said:

9ft flat ceilings.

So about 2700ft3 in main area and 9900ft3 overall.

Like I said, BIG.

1 hour ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Agree totally but I still do think you will benefit by adding an amp.  Maybe add another PB-2000 to the mix and get a nice used affordable 3-channel amp if you can find one on the cheap.

Bill

• Like 1