It’s official, the best rock guitarist ever.

jimjimbo

7 minutes ago, Seadog said:

No doubt, Zappa was largely overlooked as an excellent guitarist.  Probably due to the humor or satire in most of his stuff.

we lost Buddy Holly , when he was just getting started

buddy holly

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rebuy said:

My Vote is Plain & Simple

zappa jazzfromhell.jpg

FYI, my favorite radio station is celebrating Frank Zappa's "half birthday" this Sunday by playing Frank all day, from 7AM to 10PM. There'll be some fund raising for the station going on as well, but you'd be surprised at the depth of music and information presented.

WPKN, 89.5FM in CT and of course, on-line HERE.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I was kinda creative today; but I didn't make it to my top five.  My top five are:

Steve Howe

Brian May

David Gilmour

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Glen Campbell (he's so good that he belongs on every list ... and he could play rock). 

Great list there.  I would have to slide Mark Knopfler in there somewhere.

Bill

• Like 3

I do not believe that there is ONE best guitarist in the world. Of course I love Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, ...

But, my favorites for their musical contribution are, apart from purely technical considerations, out of order:

- Jorma Kaukonen (Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna)
- Fred Frith (Henry Cow, Art Bear, ...)
- John Frusciante (RHCP)
- Annie Clark (St Vincent)

John McGeoch (Siouxie and the Banshees, Magazine)

- Geordie Walker (Killing Joke)

Colin Newman (Wire)

Peter Laughner (Pere Ubu)
- Mick Taylor (Stones : he too was revealed by an anthology live: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, where his guitar parts are simply magic)
- Franck Zappa
- Robert Fripp (King Crimson)

- Tom Verlaine (Television)
- Robert Smith (The Cure)
- Elliot Easton (The Cars)

And so many others 😃

@jimjimbo Thanks for the live reference, I'm going to listen to this "Live at Roni Scotts". My favorite album is There and Back

11 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I was kinda creative today; but I didn't make it to my top five.  My top five are:...

Stevie Ray Vaughn

I just finished reading SRV's biography, "Texas Flood". A superb book chronicling the rise, fall, and redemption of yes, a great guitarist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I was kinda creative today; but I didn't make it to my top five.  My top five are:

Steve Howe

Brian May

David Gilmour

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Glen Campbell (he's so good that he belongs on every list ... and he could play rock). 

my list would be pretty close , but I would put    BB KING as the best ever ,Hendrix , Santana   ,  and then a  Brits list  - Gilmour - Sir Paul   Lennon, Harrison , Clapton , May ---it's hard to say who's the best , but we all know these guys are either deceased or  in their 70's or 80's, so we are blessed -

• Like 1