It’s official, the best rock guitarist ever.

jimjimbo

It was a common exercise that was not lost on us as teenagers more especially. It is fun and for some an endless pursuit. Bias will

come into it at some level. The problem we had was, there were always another and yet another to be considered.

a  guitarist needs more than muscle memory -- you tube is full of unknowns that can play pretty darned good. but, muscle memory isn't creative and (to quote a Rock Hall of Fame guitarist) "the fingers tend be predictable unless they're being led by the brain."  I admire those that are technically competent, but also creative. 

On 6/19/2020 at 8:04 PM, jimjimbo said:

Jeff Beck, no question. “Live at Roni Scotts“ proves it beyond a reasonable doubt. Watch the whole thing.

At least 22 times since 2007! Jeff thinks John McLaughlin is the best guitarist, but when Mclaughlin was asked to choose between Jimi Hendrix and Jeff Beck, he chose Jeff without hesitation since he played with both of them!

• Like 1

I have to add that Jeff Beck can play all styles very well, but where he is UNTOUCHABLE is how he accompanies VOCALISTS, in a complementary fashion, ALWAYS. It's not about how fast your are, how bluesy you are, etc.

Nile Rogers, the millionaire producer of a Jeff Beck album, and former guitarist himself said this: "Jeff Beck is my favorite guitar player. He never overplays, and ALWAYS knows where to put the notes.

Jimi Page is probably the world's biggest Jeff Beck fan and they have been friends since they were 11 years old.

NOBODY can make sounds like Jeff can........................listen to the very last solo on Ronnie Scott's. Pure sound in a world of what I call "Shredder Cacophony." That last song was requested by Rick Wright of Pink Floyd for his funeral and Jeff accommodated the request.

Jeff also liked Prince, Hendrix, Eddie VanHalen, and Roy Buchanan (first track on Blow by Blow dedicated to Roy)..............................I was also a Danny Gatton fan, who mentored Joe Bonamassa when he was 11 years old.

But JimJimbo did say ROCK, so I will leave the Jazz and Country Players out of this.

I have seen Jeff Beck 8 times in my life, starting with BBA (a boogie band) with former Vanilla Fudge and Cactus Members. That was one of the very best Rock concerts I ever saw after high school....................and I was a Deep Purple/Ritchie Blackmore fan.

On 6/20/2020 at 12:00 PM, RandyH 000 said:

my list would be pretty close , but I would put    BB KING as the best ever ,Hendrix , Santana   ,  and then a  Brits list  - Gilmour - Sir Paul   Lennon, Harrison , Clapton , May ---it's hard to say who's the best , but we all know these guys are either deceased or  in their 70's or 80's, so we are blessed -

I think Segovia could’ve taught a thing or two to all of those young guys.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 11:00 AM, RandyH 000 said:

but I would put    BB KING as the best ever

Nothing against his playing; but his was the only concert that I've ever walked out on.  The bass was SO powerful that it actually felt like a donkey was kicking me in the chest. During the fourth song, I left. No financial loss as I was given the ticket.  I did enjoy Walter Trout's set before BB came on. 

a few others that I'm not saying are the best; but don't get shown enough love are Robben Ford, Snowy White, and Gary Moore. 

1 minute ago, RandyH 000 said:

time for a Super-star ------thanks BIGSTEWMAN

I will have to watch that one ... I've only seen him play that on a Les Paul -- but that firebird is my favorite Gibson guitar. Of course, he is most known for playing the les Paul, but he did play Fenders and even Rickenbacker. Thanks.