Amplifier for Chorus II

billgator

My 92 year old father passed away recently and left behind his stereo system consisting of Chorus II speakers he bought new in 1996.  They look new and he never abused them.  He was a classical guy.  They are paired with a Yamaha RX-550 receiver, Yamaha disc player CDC-625, and a Yamaha KX-W332 double cassette deck.  My intention is to keep the disc player if possible and replace the receiver for something that will let me stream music.  I know nothing about amplifiers/receivers and need some suggestions.  I am not an audiophile but still want pretty good sound. Thanks for any help. 

I was also wondering if anyone has ever elevated these speakers off the floor using 1/2" anti-vibration pads. My concern is moisture permeating through a concrete floor even though sealed or a small water problem.  Thinking of Florida where all homes are slabs. Thanks again. 

Edited by billgator
clarification
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 8:07 AM, billgator said:

I was also wondering if anyone has ever elevated these speakers off the floor using 1/2" anti-vibration pads

these speakers already have a riser ,   that should be more than enough , but if you want to raise them even more ---------go ahead

11 hours ago, billgator said:

My 92 year old father passed away recently and left behind his stereo system consisting of Chorus II speaker

please accept all our condolences , for your Father -God Bless

11 hours ago, billgator said:

My 92 year old father passed away recently and left behind his stereo system consisting of Chorus II speakers he bought new in 1996.  They look new and he never abused them.  He was a classical guy.  They are paired with a Yamaha RX-550 receiver,

your amp puts out 90 watts per channel , which is ok , however the amp will distort rather rapidly if you play the sound very loud , you would need at least 150-200 watts per channel , to have no distortion , and loud sound  , punchy bass -----

• Thanks 1

I also have a near mint pair of Chorus II's. I power them with my restored '71 Marantz 2245, and they sound awesome. The sweet spot for me is with the volume knob up about 1/3. Plenty loud, warm, dynamic, with no distortion. If I was going modern, I would get a new Yamaha A S2200 integrated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2020 at 8:07 AM, billgator said:

My 92 year old father passed away recently and left behind his stereo system consisting of Chorus II speakers he bought new in 1996.  They look new and he never abused them.  He was a classical guy.  They are paired with a Yamaha RX-550 receiver, Yamaha disc player CDC-625, and a Yamaha KX-W332 double cassette deck.  My intention is to keep the disc player if possible and replace the receiver for something that will let me stream music.  I know nothing about amplifiers/receivers and need some suggestions.  I am not an audiophile but still want pretty good sound. Thanks for any help. 

I was also wondering if anyone has ever elevated these speakers off the floor using 1/2" anti-vibration pads. My concern is moisture permeating through a concrete floor even though sealed or a small water problem.  Thinking of Florida where all homes are slabs. Thanks again. 

Condolences for you father,,and congrats on inheriting one of the greatest speakers made,I too had some concern of moisture on the bottom of the risers,,so I purchased the solid whit PVC outdoor molding,,its basically 3/4 x 1 1/2 of solid PVC,and I just outlined the bottom of the riser,,scuffed the PVC and sprayed them black and a couple of dabs of construction adhesive and now no more worries.. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, billgator said:

That is a good idea. I have used PVC for birdhouses knowing they will outlast pine by decades. 

all you need is an air space the thickness of a quarter coin ,  usually the risers have metal rings at the bottom , this allows  the air to  flow  between the riser and the floor -

klipsch-heresy-original-pair-slant_1_84992bc8c6f88fe61cd9cc6fc66a4b16.jpg

On 6/20/2020 at 7:07 AM, billgator said:

If you have that much of a water problem in FL and expect it to bother the speakers, then the house would be filled with mold.  A large number of homes in the US don't have basements and are built on slabs.  Don't fret it though a 1/2 inch would not bother them

In considering an answer for your Amp question, how loud are you looking to go?

I’m a big fan of vintage NAD equipment, much of which is period correct for your Chorus. I’m sorting out which of my NAD amps will best suit my needs for both 5.1 and two channel.  The two channel setup is for Chorus I.  Most of the time, that Chorus pair is hooked up to a little NAD D 3020 v2. It’s a current model integrated amp that’s small, versatile regarding inputs, and pushes about 30 watts per channel. Modest power perhaps, but the wife demands that I turn it down long before I get to 11 on the volume dial.

For your Chorus IIs, Klipsch specs:

1 watt = 101 dB

power handling = 100 W

One of the rewards of owning high sensitivity (i.e.efficient) speakers is that you don’t have to buy high power amps to generate a sufficient sound pressure level. That’s only one factor in amp selection, but it should be relevant to most listeners—especially if the listener must coexist with someone who’s more likely to say “turn it down” than “crank it up.”

• Like 2