Recommendation for shop Setup

I want to do a 2.0 or 2.1 setup for my new shop. It will be 30x50 and completely exposed foam insulation. So, it's a big room. I've narrowed it down to pair of RF-7iii or forte iii. I really prefer the aesthetics of the forte and they will fit the theme of the garage with my 60s and 70s trucks, old fridge, old decor etc. But I think the rf7s will sound better. Not opposed to adding a sub if needed with the fortes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

While I think either the RF-7IIIs and Forte IIIs would be awesome, I think a "better" choice would be a pair of used Chorus IIs or any of the Cornwall versions due to the enormous room size.  You would get that vintage theme with either of those bigger speakers.  Heck, La Scalas or Khorns would be even better.

Bill

On 6/20/2020 at 5:37 PM, willland said:

While I think either the RF-7IIIs and Forte IIIs would be awesome, I think a "better" choice would be a pair of used Chorus IIs or any of the Cornwall versions due to the enormous room size.  You would get that vintage theme with either of those bigger speakers.  Heck, La Scalas or Khorns would be even better.

Bill

I think the Khorns and La Scalas will be out of budget.  I'm interested in the Cornwalls.  I could get the Cornwalls as a 2.0 for about the same price as the 2.1 setup RF7iii with a $2k sub.  Would I be left wanting a sub if I went with the Cornwalls?  I'm not necessarily a bass head but I do like to hear a bass line.  

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 5:58 PM, texasnavy05 said:

It will be 30x50 and completely exposed foam insulation. So, it's a big room.

I used my first generation La Scalas for a Christmas party in a 36' x 49' room. Sounded terrific. Don't know where you are located, but they can often be picked up rather inexpensively. The horn loaded bass would be much better in that size of room.

• Like 1

Well, considering my budget and performance I think I've decided on the cornwalls.  I emailed tom from PSA about implementing the s3612 and he actually suggested a cerwin vega bass bin  el-36dp given the size of the room.  It's a bit cheaper than the s3612 I was looking at, but I honestly have never looked into this type of sub.  

You could go 5000 cubic feet with a pair of rf7 iii said in in crutchfield interview on YouTube. Those speakers are absolutely insane with a power amp. Dual ten inch woofers will possibly put out more bass than the Cornwalls, not sure. So that would be 40” of woofer compared to 30”. Idk that’s just my 2 cents. Man I would love to hear those Cornwalls, Now they both have there pros and cons and it basically comes down to personal preference. Rf7 iii will probably get louder. And tbh you will probably still want a subwoofer. I mean the cornwalls will probably put out a wonderful intense amount of bass along with the rf7 iii and I’ve seen plenty of people say hey I don’t even need a sub with these. Cause hey that’s 2 10” woofers moving a lot of air and some say a sub wouldn’t hurt. Haven’t done as much research on cornwalls but just comes down to personal preference and if you love bass and it’s important to you you will probably still want to subwoofer with the cornwalls. But you could get by without one. I’ve heard tho with the new hereseys that you once you turned them up past a certain point it was kinda just all of the horn and no woofer so he had to add some more power to it and after that it fixed it. You tuber is zreviews. Idk if there would be the same problem with the cornwalls but I would assume so. Sorry hope that helps lol.

Edited by David y

3 minutes ago, David y said:

You could go 5000 cubic feet with a pair of rf7 iii said in in crutchfield interview on YouTube. Those speakers are absolutely insane with a power amp. Dual ten inch woofers will possibly put out more bass than the Cornwalls, not sure. So that would be 40” of woofer compared to 30”. Idk that’s just my 2 cents. 

I really think either way im going to want to add a sub.  I just may have to do it in a year or two.  I think I'd rather get the 2.0 system exactly how i want it so i wont be wondering what if.  

I don't doubt that the dual tens have more bass than the single 15's, but if you look just solely at the sq inches of woofer i think the CW  still has more area.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, texasnavy05 said:

I really think either way im going to want to add a sub.  I just may have to do it in a year or two.  I think I'd rather get the 2.0 system exactly how i want it so i wont be wondering what if.  

I don't doubt that the dual tens have more bass than the single 15's, but if you look just solely at the sq inches of woofer i think the CW  still has more area.

Ya the CW are amazing. I’ve never heard them but don’t have to to know that simple fact with those specs and with klipsch reputation. Ya that 15” boy is intimidating. But you put those two 10” boys together of the rf7iii and it’s 20”.. 🤪😏 

28 minutes ago, billybob said:

Welcome to the forum and what are you going with, forte or CW?

Thanks

Cornwalls, Chorus you will have bass. Like that thinking pure 2.0

Like you say, later on a sub.

Forte by itself may not get you there. Nice with your period decor.

That size room needs the presence of the 2 15s breathing.

They're both still direct radiators... I would still take the horn loaded 15s of the La Scalas any day. The are much more efficient than the RF-7iii.

17 hours ago, David y said:

You could go 5000 cubic feet with a pair of rf7 iii said in in crutchfield interview on YouTube.

That is only a 20x25x10 room. What are you thinking?  A 30 x 50 with 10 foot ceilings is 15000 cubic feet.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, David y said:

Dual ten inch woofers will possibly put out more bass than the Cornwalls, not sure. So that would be 40” of woofer compared to 30”

A single 15 has more surface area than two 10s.  It isn't the diameter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

They're both still direct radiators... I would still take the horn loaded 15s of the La Scalas any day. The are much more efficient than the RF-7iii.

That is only a 20x25x10 room. What are you thinking?  A 30 x 50 with 10 foot ceilings is 15000 cubic feet.

I was telling him what kind of specs and what type of room that would be ideal for the rf7iii that were said in a crutch field interview on YouTube is what I was thinking. Also the 7s are only 5 db less efficient and at 100db  Efficiency That’s quite amazing. I would say 5db isn’t much more efficient, but I respect your opinion and to be honest I feel like you could go with quite a bit bigger room with what was said. I still feel like you would get more bass out of the 7s but I’m not quite sure and I think it would be close either way. Just my opinion and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the 15s put out more bass. But I thought he was talking about the cornwalls where did la scalas come from. Those 15s have got to be amazing I want to hear them so bad. 

Edited by David y

1 hour ago, David y said:

But I thought he was talking about the cornwalls where did la scalas come from. Those 15s have got to be amazing I want to hear them so bad. 

It's too large a room for the rf-7s and probably the same for the corns. DRs don't move enough air for a 15000 cubic foot room. That's why I said that the LaScala would be better.  A 3db higher sensitivity  means half the power for the same output. You are talking a 5db difference. The direct radiators won't project like the bass horn of the LS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David y said:

I was telling him what kind of specs and what type of room that would be ideal for the rf7iii that were said in a crutch field interview on YouTube is what I was thinking.

His room is three times larger

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

It's too large a room for the rf-7s and probably the same for the corns. DRs don't move enough air for a 15000 cubic foot room. That's why I said that the LaScala would be better.  A 3db higher sensitivity  means half the power for the same output. You are talking a 5db difference. The direct radiators won't project like the bass horn of the LS.

Thanks for the knowledge drop. Put things in better perspective for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

His room is three times larger

Well duhh. I was giving him important information since he was considering those speakers for his setup so he could take that into consideration. Tbh I think the rf7 iii will get quite a bit louder than the cornwalls or am I wrong?

• Like 1