Recommendation for shop Setup

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

It's too large a room for the rf-7s and probably the same for the corns. DRs don't move enough air for a 15000 cubic foot room. That's why I said that the LaScala would be better.  A 3db higher sensitivity  means half the power for the same output. You are talking a 5db difference. The direct radiators won't project like the bass horn of the LS.

I have yet to see any la scalas that get close the price of the cornwalls.  I've been keeping eye open for a used set.  

11 hours ago, David y said:

Tbh I think the rf7 iii will get quite a bit louder than the cornwalls or am I wrong?

David,

In a word, yes, you are wrong.

Cornwall IV: Maximun SPL 119dB Continuous

RF-7III: Maximum SPL - not listed, but the sensitivity is lower than both the Cornwall and Ls Scala

La Scala (original) Maximum SPL 124 dB Continuous

Any of these would be too loud to have playing for long at their maximum.

Depending on what you are trying to do, though, the RF-7 series or Cornwall would still provide you with great, listenable music in the room.

@texasnavy05 Keep looking for some LS. Are you located in Texas or somewhere else? You may find some LS industrials as well, which may fit your motif, too. I'm sorry to have highjacked your thread.

Bruce

5 hours ago, Marvel said:

David,

In a word, yes, you are wrong.

Cornwall IV: Maximun SPL 119dB Continuous

RF-7III: Maximum SPL - not listed, but the sensitivity is lower than both the Cornwall and Ls Scala

La Scala (original) Maximum SPL 124 dB Continuous

Any of these would be too loud to have playing for long at their maximum.

Depending on what you are trying to do, though, the RF-7 series or Cornwall would still provide you with great, listenable music in the room.

@texasnavy05 Keep looking for some LS. Are you located in Texas or somewhere else? You may find some LS industrials as well, which may fit your motif, too. I'm sorry to have highjacked your thread.

Bruce

I see a max spl at 125 dB at 1 meter so I don’t know but that could be wrong.

On 6/20/2020 at 4:58 PM, texasnavy05 said:

I want to do a 2.0 or 2.1 setup for my new shop. It will be 30x50 and completely exposed foam insulation. So, it's a big room. I've narrowed it down to pair of RF-7iii or forte iii. I really prefer the aesthetics of the forte and they will fit the theme of the garage with my 60s and 70s trucks, old fridge, old decor etc. But I think the rf7s will sound better. Not opposed to adding a sub if needed with the fortes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

What's your location?

5 minutes ago, OC71 said:

If the OP is not interested in the Cornscalas I would be interested in some more information.  I’m in Dallas. 

Will do.  I haven't actively tried selling them but the herd is getting a little large.

I'd need to pull the backs to get the driver compliment.  Alethia Audio battery biased the crossovers and they have modern 5 way binding posts.  Grills and badges are fine.  Cabinets are about an 8 and very presentable.  Fastrack horns on the mids.

Bypass all the living room stuff and go straight to the big pro gear if you can find them. KP-301's 1st gen are nice and Chorus speakers also. There is no substitute for cubic inches and a design with headroom to spare.

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

Bypass all the living room stuff and go straight to the big pro gear if you can find them. KP-301's 1st gen are nice and Chorus speakers also. There is no substitute for cubic inches and a design with headroom to spare.

He's picking up my Cornscalas Sunday.  He should be fine.

Don't let him ever come by my shop is all I can say. I am a very bad influence.
Initial plan was to do cerwin Vegas or jtr cabinets with some bass bins but I decided to scale back and do something that fits my decor a bit better

5 hours ago, texasnavy05 said:

Initial plan was to do cerwin Vegas or jtr cabinets with some bass bins but I decided to scale back and do something that fits my decor a bit better

I'm over my picture limit here on the forum so once you get them in place post some pics.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

got everything up and running, and I'm posting my mandatory pics for the "help me choose" thread

2 x cornscalas (K33 E woofers, K51 V mids, crites CT 125 tweeters, modded B2 battery biased crossovers from Alethia) 

2 x PSA 3611

parasound halo integrated 6

audio technica lp40wn

The room acoustics are very bad.  I've got some moving blankets I'm going to hang from the rafters, and some foam panels I'm gonna stick to the walls.  Hopefully that will help.  

I'll probably end up getting rid of the subwoofers. Everything in here rattle like crazy.  I think I'm not as much of a basshead as I thought I was, or the cornscalas have enough for my taste.  

shop audio setup.jpg

Edited by texasnavy05