NOOB La Scala Buying Help/Advice

Desron65

Klipsch Gurus - Brand new to the channel but need advice for a pair of La Scalas near me.  Supposedly, the LS's are original, no modifications, everything works but one speaker has the AA XO with the K-55M and the other speaker has the AL-3 XO with the OEM 18310-2074.  I currently own Conrad Johnson amp and pre-amp with IMF TLS80s ,which sounds fantastic with vinyl, CD, and spotify.  Cabinets need cleaning up but no major dents/damage.  I wasn't in the market for new speakers but I probably could get these for $1300-$1500.  What all does the brain trust say?  Thanks in advance.

Totally depends on the condition of the cabinets, and the finish of the cabinets.  Light birch, stained birch, black, etc.....  Components are easy (and should be matched), but cabinetry is more challenging to restore.  Offer $1100 and go from there.  Pics here would be nice.

the 2 scrossovers do not match , but you can get either 1 AA - or 1 Al-3 for a matching pair , can you rake a picture of the OEM 18310-2074 midrange  , it could be a K55M , but the klipsch sticker could be missing ,  the K55M IS AN EV MIDRANGE -

The attached pictures are what was sent to me so far. The black rough burch cabinets have “slight imperfections “ but no damage or repairs needed...so says the owner. I am going to check them out tomorrow or during the week. Thanks for all of the responses. 

81C9EB94-79D0-41A5-9656-5970ABBD11B9.jpeg

7429AD49-1CA7-4CA6-BC91-7FBA38C66171.jpeg

1A9A273E-3F60-47DA-8856-3BCA7256A771.jpeg

2C7E379B-E2FD-4C7B-87B0-BE17ADD4711F.jpeg

FCA5B76C-9B33-4C01-8BAB-962FF742502A.jpeg

0AE4833E-56F6-4390-A8B9-39F65B8C3D22.jpeg

The two midrange driver magnets look different. Might be the lighting. 

I think offer 800.00. Go up to 1100.00 if cabinets are okay and the woofer outputs match. A used  mid driver and crossover should not be too bad if needed. 

If you can use a VOM check the dc resistance of at least the woofers and mids. Tweeter too. This will not catch a rubbing voice coil but will find if windings are open or shorted.

You are in for a lot of work on those.

There are two mismatched parts. An AL and AL-3 crossover, not an AA. Also a non-Klipsch K55 variant and a Klipsch K55M, the two speakers will sound different.

Who knows what else you will find when you get inside them?

Probably two different mid horns, earlier model years using the AL crossover had the metal K400 and the later years had the resin K401. Anything with the AL-3 should have the resin horn.

So, they are not, as the owner says “all original”. Maybe all original to him, but one of them for sure is not as it came from the from the factory. Likely the owner found two singles over the years.

You are looking at a minimum $400 in parts (a K-55M and an AL-3) after shipping and applicable taxes, lol, IF you get lucky, to make them a matching pair parts-wise, sight-unseen as to what else is under the hood. If a mid driver had to be replaced, I would wonder about the condition of the more fragile tweeters. 

If you are up to the task and the cabinets are not chipped a grand would be top dollar and too rich for my Salvation Army blood.

• Like 1

I would not worry too much about the squawker drivers.  It would not surprise me if the “Klipsch” sticker were removed you would find an EV label underneath.  In any case, I doubt you, or anyone, could distinguish one from the other by SQ.

E-V once told me the K-55-M was a modified version of an "1824, or 1828, or something like that".  So, I think you have 2 -Ms with one missing sticker.  The Type AL crossover is appropriate for the -Ms, but it is a miserable sounding thing.  It will need to be replaced, or converted.  The Type AL-3 crossover is a pretty good one; keep it.  Use the mismatches to negotiate the price down.  Though I would find and buy a Type AL-3 (even try 1-800-KLIPSCH), converting a Type AL to a -3 doesn't look hard.  The 13 uF squawker cap implies a T2A autoformer could substitute for a T4A. 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/113804-klipsch-crossovers/

On 6/20/2020 at 8:00 PM, Desron65 said:

The black rough burch cabinets have “slight imperfections “ but no damage or repairs

both speakers have the K55M - except one does not have the klipsch sticker they add over the OEM 18310-2074 -  the AL-3 is a bonus  -------1300$ to 1500$ looks like a very good deal ,  buy them , before somebody else snatches these from under you  , all comments from other forum members are positive

All - Thanks for all of the support and comments!!  I'll check them out on Thursday and if everything is as the owner says, I'll buy them!  I will then either look for another AL-3 or buy the Crites replacements (ALK too steep for me right now).  Thanks again, great group!!

4 hours ago, JohnA said:

E-V once told me the K-55-M was a modified version of an "1824, or 1828, or something like that".

I don't think it is an 1828 model. I have some 1828s in my pieced together pair of LS, and they are much smaller than the K55. Sound fine though... the price was right.

These are mine but look the same.

EV_1828R.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Desron65 said:

Can they be refinished?  Are they veneer?  I picked them up for $1200. 

great price 1200$ is fantastic   ,  you did very well , you would have to strip chemically   1 panel on each speaker to see what is laying under the paint  , it could be raw birch  or veneer in some cases , but stripping , is the only way to find out ---------

Thanks for the info, I plan on ordering the Crites AL-3 XOs next week. Ok, harder question. What amp pairing?  I know very broad vague question. I currently have CJ ss amp and tube preamp. I listen to rock, classical, light rock, Jazz, and pop. The room is 15x25’. Budget around $1500 ish.  Any recommendations would be great. Thanks again. 

I got a pair of LS and an H/K 630 for mine w/i your budget.

I do feel like I stole the set up... this was a couple  [2 not 20]  years ago.  ... from a forum member

so what if I had to make a 4000 mile trip to fetch them... I was headed that direction anyway.... 6 mo after the purchase.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 3:14 PM, Desron65 said:

....... CJ ss amp and tube preamp. I listen to rock, classical, light rock, Jazz, and pop. The room is 15x25’. Budget around $1500 ish.  Any recommendations would be great. Thanks again. 

Bob's your uncle!!!

Spend your money on new tubes and a tune-up/refurbishment of what you have.