Hobbies

Bosco-d-gama

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Those are really nice, I would imagine you got pretty good at cutting glass the shape you want. As pretty as those are the view out the window is really nice also. 

How do you find glass the colors and textures you want ?

7 hours ago, dtel said:

Those are really nice, I would imagine you got pretty good at cutting glass the shape you want. As pretty as those are the view out the window is really nice also. 

How do you find glass the colors and textures you want ?

There are several manufacturers of art glass. Some are made for stained glass, some for fusing and some for mosaics. They come in a surprising array of colors and textures. Some are consistently the same (predictable) and others are unique each time. It’s fascinating and challenging at the same time. It is very difficult to choose the best glass for a particular piece. I’ll rummage through our stock for days and can’t make up my mind. I’ll think I want ‘new’ glass instead. Then in the middle of the night you have an ‘aha’ moment and in 10 minutes the chore is done. You can buy glass online and we have just 1 specialty store and hobby lobby that sells the stuff locally. But our best ‘buys’ have been from stores going out of business or from people like us who decided to stop. Then you can get some amazing glass that’s old and no longer available. Another option is decorator window glass. Shower door glass is often patterned.

Cutting glass into intricate shapes can be done with glass saws. Getting the pattern on the glass for the right ‘show’ in a way that stays visible while using a water saw is hard. Then you grind the piece for a perfect fit.........   and you’ll have to accommodate space for copper foil and solder for it to look correct and fit the size.

The garage is our workshop and it’s full.

The wife did these 2. She does a lot of horses. I talked her into Frankenstein.

2874D7F7-9D4B-4606-BCF5-F1051C02B98F.jpeg

125567F8-D092-4B70-9762-707CD42354E8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JJkizak said:

Mine is woodworking.

JJK

IWOJIMASMALL.jpg

Sculpting stuff takes real talent. All I do with glass is build the art. You use what your given and must have the vision and skills to release the art within. We keep some wood around to integrate into some pieces. The wife drags all sorts of stuff home to play ‘mixed media’ with.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Schu said:

Ive been thinking about commissioning a SG piece. how long does it take to complete a piece for you?

If the work agreed on is typical composition and of a reasonable size we can crank it out in less than a week. Flowered window panels would describe that. But ask for a picture of a 1973 hemicuda boiling its tires and you’re in for a much longer haul and some hefty $$$$$$.

• Haha 1

Since I don't have a lathe, milling machine, trusty Miller or room anymore I do some cross stitch stuff. Not a single artistic bone in my body

but X stitching requires precision, and a lot of patience which I'm not famous for. Lots of long cold days and nights here in the winter so this my next

project. Over a 100,000 stitches in a 115 colors.

That's my friend Houdini sitting proud. He's 17 now and slowing down a bit.

Hot Rod.jpg

32 003.JPG

• Like 2