List of Famous Guitarists You have seen LIVE!

ClaudeJ1

In no particular order, some more than once (8 times for Jeff Beck), and not just Rock:

Drew Abbott at my high school (with Third Power Before he Joined Bob Seger's Silver Bullet Band)

Ron Asheton (Iggy and the Stooges)

Cubby Coda (Brownsville Station)

Dick Wagner (the Frost, before he filled in for Aerosmith's Train Kept a Rollin' when they were strung out on H)

Ted Nugent (many times before he got famous)

Frank Marino (Mahogany Rush)

Todd Rundgren (Utopia)

Leslie West (Mountain and West Bruce and Laing after Cream broke up)

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd, the day after Dark Side of the Moon Release)

Jeff Beck (with BBA, then after Blow by Blow, then with all his bands as recent as 2 years ago with Paul Rogers tour)

Martin Lancelot Barre (Jethro Tull)

Luther Grosvener (Spooky Tooth)

Toni Iomni (Black Sabbath's first Detroit Concert as 3rd Bill to Savoy Brown)

Kim Simmons (Savoy Brown)

Dave Peverett (Savoy Brown and FogHat)

Rory Gallagher

Alex Lifeson (Rush's very first Detroit Concert with Neal Peart and much later with Power Windows Tour)

Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top when they opened for Deep Purple and later when they were famous)

Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple)

Ronnie Montrose (in Edgar Winter Group and with his own band featuring a young Sammy Hagar)

Chuck Mitchell (Joni Mitchell's first Husband)

Brownie McGhee (with Sonny Terry.....they were in the movie "the Jerk" with Steve Martin)

Mark Farner (Grand Funk and with his band about 2 years ago)

Carlos Santana (Santana Bands, many)

Steve Winwood on Guitar mostly open for Santana

Neal Schon (with Santana not Journey)

Peter Frampton (his band)

Al Dimeola (Return to Forever and with his later band)

Stevie Ray Vaughan (Double Trouble and another time with Jeff Beck together what a show that was!!!)

Jimmy Vaughan (Fabulous Thunderbirds)

John McLaughlin (Mahavishnu Orchestra 1.0 opened for ELP)

Frank Zappa

Roy Buchanan (World's greatest guitarist you never heard of)

Danny Gatton (the other World's greatest you never heard of)

Eric Johnson

Kaki King

Pat Metheny

Bill Frisell

Michael Hedges

Earl Klugh (cleanest concert sound EVER

Bonnie Raitt

Andy Powell (Wishbone Ash recently, small club)

Tommy Bolan (with James Gang before he joined Deep Purple)

Steve Howe (YES)

Joe Satriani

Steve Vai

Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Kirk Mammet (Metallica)

Buddy Guy with Johnny Lang

Buddy Guy on his 80th Birthday with Jeff Beck (he did his usual walk around and stood 5 feet behind me and I got a great photo of just his face)

Robert Fripp (solo)

Joe Bonamassa

James Valentine (Maroon 5)

Sonny Landreth (the very best slide player at a local bar that was packed!)

Robin Trower (trio "back then" and 2 years ago)

Countless Local Guitar Players at Bars in the 70's!

On Bass Guitar (hey that's a guitar too!) Geddy Lee (Rush) , Jack Bruce (after Cream with Leslie West), Chris Squire (Yes) Stanley Clark (RTF and his later band), and the greatest Electric Bassist of them all JACO PASTORIUS with Weather Report, in full form and AMAZING and untouchable on Fretless Bass to this day. The ONLY Electric Jazz (more funk really) Bass Player ever inducted in the Downbeat Hall of Fame, all others were upright acoustic bass viol players. JACO totally re-invented the electric instrument. Don't even get me started on DRUMMERS which are my fave of all!

I'm sure I forgot a few, but I will add later.

• Like 4

Jimmy Page
Eric Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughan

David Gilmour
Mark Knopfler

Johnny Winter

Chuck Berry
Eddie Van Halen
Buddy Guy
Jimmie Vaughan
Omar Dykes
Ted Nugent
Michael Schenker
Randy Bachman

Mick Jones

Vivian Campbell

Adrian Vandenberg

Frank Hannon

C.C. DeVille

Stephen Stills

David Crosby

Graham Nash
Tommy Shaw
B.B. King
Robert Lockwood Jr.

Clarence Gatemouth Brown
Chris Duarte
Billy Gibbons
Tom Scholz

Robbie Blunt
Mick Mars
Keith Richards
Ronnie Wood

Steve Morse

Nita Strauss

Dave Hlubek

Elliot Easton
Willie Nelson

Neil Young 

Stevie Van Zandt
Joe Perry
Neal Schon

Sammy Hagar
Joe Walsh

Dickey Betts

John Prine
Steve Earle

Taj Mahal

Steve Miller

Roger Waters
Bruce Springsteen
Joe Ely
Waylon Jennings

Delbert McClinton

Bonnie Raitt

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Robert Fripp (solo)

how was the frippster ?

seen him twice with king crimson

5 hours ago, Seadog said:

Eric Clapton

David Gilmour

Ted Nugent

Tommy Shaw

B.B. King

Billy Gibbons

Stevie Van Zandt

Joe Perry

Todd Rundgren

Richie Blackmore

Alex Lifeson

stanley jordan

brad whitford

Joe bonamassa on stage with his father's band before he was famous

and countless others 

the one I haven't seen

@BigStewMan

• Haha 2

So here's a "guitar story" you might appreciate.

When the drinking age was 18 in Michigan, for several years in the early 70's until too many teens were killed drunk driving, then back to 21 it went...............my buddies and I used to frequent a lounge called "Westside 6" to hear the best of local rock/pop bands. Our favorite top 40 band was "Stonebridge." Bob, the guitarist played a Les Paul with a Marshall amplifier.

The band was tight and on all their songs, uncanny precision which, after a few drinks sounded very close to the real thing! As I recall, they played Deep Purple tunes especially well.

So here we are circa 1973(1974?) after ZZ Top released Tres Hombres and Stonebridge started to play "La Grange" which was and still is a huge hit for ZZ Top almost 50 years later.

Right before Bob's solo then, I turned to my best friend and said "let's see how he handles those "squealing notes," that we both thought were so COOL that had become a Billy Gibbons signature! To our AMAZEMENT, Bob played every single note PERFECTLY, which was quite exciting to hear at the time. So, during their break, I run over to Bob and ask: "How the hell did your figure out how to play all those Billy gibbons notes, Man??!!! So he says to me: "We were playing a gig at the Brewery in Lansing (near Michigan State University) where ZZ Top played a concert that night. After his ZZ Top show was over, Billy Gibbons happened to come into the Brewery to have a beer and heard me play La Grange, so he walks up to me at the break and says: "Let me show you how to play those notes, man." So Bob got a first hand lesson direct from Billy Gibbons himself. Talk about a down to earth guitar star and what a great story to tell!

I later found out those notes are, technically,  known as "pinched harmonics." I first heard that sound on "Dazed and Confused" from Led Zep's first album when it was considered a "mistake" by most guitar players of the late 60's. But it was Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top that made them a staple of his lead guitar work that and became famous for that particular sound among guitarists and discerning music listeners!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

so what's thoughts on Robert Fripp

He was on stage, sitting in a chair, with some kind of synthesizer, all by himself. I was a fan of King Crimson's First Album, and a few more like Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Bible Black (think have all 3 on vinyl, which I have not heard since 1983 when I started going all CD after buying the only CD player available then...........a Sony.

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

He was on stage, sitting in a chair, with some kind of synthesizer, all by himself. I was a fan of King Crimson's First Album, and a few more like Lark's Tongues in Aspic, Bible Black (think have all 3 on vinyl, which I have not heard since 1983 when I started going all CD after buying the only CD player available then...........a Sony.

I was lucky to catch Fripp in NYC at the World Financial Center (next to the World Trade Center) in November of 2000 maybe 10 months or so before 9-11.  There were Christmas decorations behind him in the atrium if I recall correctly.  Still saddens me to think of the way things used to be.

• Moderators

BB King, Eric Clapton, Santana, Joe Walsh, ZZTop, Peter Frampton and many other bands that I have a hard time even remembering who could have been in them to name the better ones. 

Things got a little foggy back then.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2