Cornwall Curb Find

Ponty56

It appears my pictures are to large but I saved these cornwell birch raw speakers from the trash man last Thursday. From my understanding this model would not have had edge banding veneer and just a raw birch veneer around the sides. I also understand this model wouldn't normally have a grill, and someone screwed what looks to be correct size grills on these. It also has the stands on them. I would like to find correct ish birch veneer and restore them visually as they would have come off the showroom. Could someone suggest where I could source some? Does anyone sell reproduction input jacks? Does anyone sell reproduction baffle/insulation? I plan on purchasing some components from CritesSpeakers for the restore. 

20200618_103404.jpg

• Like 3

Cornwall Decorators , did not typically have any grilles , but some dealers installed wood trim around the fronts and a standard Cornwall grilles from a non-Decorator was used - as well as badges , your speakers are  1983 model year -

here is what klipsch mentionned about Cornwall  Decorators  

2. Cornwall Decorator series were later given various grille fittings. The first was a standard sized grille with Velcro tabs that would simply be surface mounted. In later years a trim kit with a grille was developed.

1st and 2nd picture shows Velcro with grilles , and no trim kit  with a regular Cornwall grille ---3rd picture shows an added trim kit which was 4 pieces of trim nailed to the motorboard , and the grille fit in the frame 5071641-7096-6__29126.1510761335.jpg?c=25071641-7096-6__29126.1510761335.jpg?c=2

-5071641-7096__99830.1510761335.jpg?c=2

post-8016-0-67200000-1410812006.jpg

• Like 1

---- finding these Cornwalls was your lucky day --

the factory input terminal are  seen often on Ebay  , there are no reproductions -

-  for baffle insulation , I have never seen any  on this forum , regular insulation foam is adequate -

-if you place a wanted add in the garage sale ,  for any components , forum members will respond ,  and  , welcome to the forum

1 hour ago, Ponty56 said:

20200618_164415.jpg

those are regular Cornwall 1  --------and Marvel  indicated that already --k33 woofer - K77 tweeter -K600 midrange horn -  you would have to unscrew the rear cover to show us what these hide for a midrange driver --IS IT A K55V ?  - perhaps - please unscrew the rear cover and take a picture showing the internals ---------do these speakers sound good - did you plug them -

looks like a mouse got in there  or something of the sort  --------you have to remove it all  wear gloves   , -and desinfect the inside -regular sound foam can replace this shredded mess -

2 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

looks like a mouse got in there  or something of the sort  --------you have to remove it all  wear gloves   , -and desinfect the inside -regular sound foam can replace this shredded mess -

Yeah i concur there were definitely mouse droppings in there. I anticipate a complete tear down and new veneer as well as rebuilt components. Hoping to sell my machII's to fund this project otherwise it may be put on the backburner for other priorities. But nonetheless they will be restored! 

• Like 2

the internals may not need to be rebuilt , I think you should remove the internals , then desinfect the wood ,  the ex-owner saw the mouse damage and they threw these out ,  

2)-  test the DCR of the 2 woofers , the 2 Tweeters , the 2 midranges before even assuming anything is wrong  ------woofers are 4ohms , tweeters 8 ohms , midrange 16 ohms -

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

would you briefly tell us how this new Paint is improved in your experience.  I use Paint a lot, and would like to know.  Thanks !

It has better export options, and editing tools available. It will also do layers. Look at is a a Photoshop lite. It's under 10mb in size, since it hooks into the Dot Net libraries in Windows.

If you are a Windows hater, you may not like it, but it works well.

• Like 1