Yamaha Integrated and Heresy IV

S.O.T.O.

Anyone running a Yamaha Integrated with the Heresy fours? How is bass response with Yamahas bass control and or variable loudness control? Thinking this combo would sound killer, and the Hereseys could really benefit from a nice Yamaha integrated. 

• Like 1

@S.O.T.O.,

Welcome to the forum.

Not Heresy IVs but Heresy IIs.  Every speaker(RB-75, RF-63, Heresy II) I tried with my Yamaha A-S1000 sounded wonderful.  Very neutral(Yamaha's "natural' sound) presentation with plenty of low end grunt.  As far as the Yamaha's bass tone control, I have only implemented it when my RSW-10d sub died and that was a very slight turn of the knob.  The Yamaha's tone controls are designed very well and offer very subtle changes to the frequency response, which I like.

Bill

• Like 3

Had Heresy IIs also on a 90s era YAMAHA solid state for a long time.

That brand brings articulate to mind. 

The variable loudness I liked for low volume listening and after I first got the Klipsch dialed it back to about 11:45 and left it for some "warmth". 

I did knock a little off the top of the treble but kept the mid and bass flat.

• Like 2

I have an 80 watt Yamaha receiver, not integrated mind you.  It has the tone and loudness controls.  With my HIV's I run it flat and never use the loudness although I'm sure it works fine. I do run a sub so extra bass is not needed from the HIV's.  To my taste it sounds great, the HIV's are very efficient so the receiver never gets hot.  I'm sure the integrated amp would be a step up. Someday I may try one myself but I love the receivers online streaming and remote control using my iPhone.

• Like 3

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! A lot of predictable responses, which is what I was hoping for. I love the subtleties of the Yamahas controls. I'm all about tasteful touches with tone controls if any. Just seems like a new Yamaha 1200 would pair very nicely to those new Heresys. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.O.T.O. said:

Just seems like a new Yamaha 1200 would pair very nicely to those new Heresys. 

I am sure it would.  If you are not dead set on the 1200, maybe look into an new/old stock or refurbished A-S1100 or A-S2100.

Bill

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/22/2020 at 9:58 PM, S.O.T.O. said:

Anyone running a Yamaha Integrated with the Heresy fours? How is bass response with Yamahas bass control and or variable loudness control? Thinking this combo would sound killer, and the Hereseys could really benefit from a nice Yamaha integrated. 

On 6/25/2020 at 3:04 AM, S.O.T.O. said:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! A lot of predictable responses, which is what I was hoping for. I love the subtleties of the Yamahas controls. I'm all about tasteful touches with tone controls if any. Just seems like a new Yamaha 1200 would pair very nicely to those new Heresys. 

The higher end Yamahas lack the variable loudness control that a few of their lower tier still has. I've always found it to be quite useful, particularly for Heritage models, which seem to be voiced at loud levels, where my preferred listening levels are considerably lower, where lower sensitivity to extreme frequencies come into play. 

When the fancy, expensive AVR decided to bake it's hdmi board to a dysfunctional crisp, I threw in an old Yamaha stereo receiver so we at least had music and sound for the boob tube. Had been using Audyssey DynamicEQ, their version of variable loudness eq. I immediately came to appreciate the relative simplicity, versatility, and effectiveness of Yamaha's old fashioned approach.