Forte power question

tivorocks

Hello everyone.  Klipsch newbie here.  I pulled the trigger on a "new to me" pair of Forte IIIs over the weekend.  In the limited time I have had to fire them up, I've been very pleased.  

These are being powered by a Marantz 250 and 3300.  I have a Hafler DH-500 in the finishing stages of a recap/restore with the Qua-Co/Fantasia Audio treatment.  This will boost

the Hafler's output to 300 wpc.  Being as the Forte's are so efficient, and so many people seem to use lower power with them, will the Hafler's 300 watts be a problem?  If I can

use the Hafler without issue, my end game would probably involve getting a tube pre and moving the Marantz pieces.    

• Like 2

It is most unlikely that you would push them beyond their capabilities with what you have unless you are intentional about doing so, or unless you are virtually deaf and must utilize the full capabilities of the power just to enjoy the music. Enjoy the Forte's ability to reproduce those vocals with fantastic clarity and accuracy... I know I am.

• Like 1

most klipsch speakers are very efficient & dont "need" big power but... depending on what your music & volume tastes are many of the models will sound great with higher power.  for example the chorus are even more efficient than fortes & also sound great with lower watts or tube power but they really come alive with higher SS power at higher volumes, & the bass they can produce really excels with higher power & more headroom for if/when you want to crank it up & feel the bass in your chest.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Zack R said:

Sounds like I need to buy your Hafler DH-500 for my CF3's - to rock out to the exact genres of music you describe. I keep hitting "protection" mode on my 65w/channel amp when its turned up.

Not gonna lie...one of the first tracks I played after hooking them up was Invincible off Fear Inoculum (FLAC).  I teared up a little lol.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

As long as you don't have audible distortion you're fine. 

That's right. 

Keep them inside and keep the volume control in the same room as the speakers and you'll be able to tell if the speakers are in distress. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 2:43 PM, tivorocks said:

Well I am a Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Alice in Chains and Tool kind a guy so this may work out great.

great music taste!  i am a life long pink floyd fan & a HUGE tool fan... seen them 4 times live! & alice in chains is definitely in my top 5 favorite bands of all time!  if you listen to that type fo music & i assume you like it loud on occasion then good clean solid state power in the 200+watts per channel is the way to go IMO.  i run adcom 555's in one of my systems & it has clipping indicators so you know when too much distortion is happening even if it still sounds good, but i have never had the lights even flicker when listening at live concert levels on K-horns or chorus! 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome, and great choice on the 3's, really nice speaker. 

I would try all the amps you have and use what sounds best, simple, what sounds best is best no matter what the numbers are. 

• Like 1