Klipsch RP-500M make a popping/thud noise when turning off power amplifier

Louis B

Hi everyone, 

I purchased the Klipsch RP-500M (passive, 93dB, cont 75W, 8 Ohms). I coupled them with the Schiit Vidar (100 watts per chanel into 8 ohms). The sound is lovely but everytime I turn off the Vidar, the Klipsch speakers make a moderate "popping" / thud sound.

Any idea what could be the issue? My understanding is that these popping sounds may be related to a voltage transient spike that can damage the speakers or reduce their life span.

The Schiit rep that I contacted told me that the popping sound might be caused by the fact that the Vidar is providing too much power to the speakers. I'm a bit surprised to hear that since the power amp only has 25 watts in excess of the 75 watts rating of the speakers. 

As a sidenote, I use the Schiit Asgard 3 as a preamp (it has preamp outputs). It does make a popping sound as well through the headphones when they are plugged in. 

Thanks for your help!

HI,

I'm probably the last person that should be giving advice on this subject but I have had the same issue but with different equipment.

What pretty much solved the problem for me was the order of powering down/up the devices:

1.  Power on the Pre-amp

2.  Give it a minute or two (I use a Peach Pre-Amp)

3.  Power on Amp (ST-70)

When finished listening, reverse the order:

1.  Power Off the AMP

2.  Give things a minute or two to power-off

3.  Power Off the Pre-amp

Also, not sure if the proper order is different for Tubes vs SS!?!?!?

Thanks

JJ

• Like 2

The website says the output is microprocessor controlled without any active devices or fuses in the output path. An active device, like a relay, prevents DC voltage from a shorted transistor or other device like an op amp, from reaching the speakers. When you turn on an amp and several seconds later you hear a click, thats a relay or relays turning on after circuitry has determined there is no DC output from the amp. The Schiit rep is correct when he said the amp is outputting too much power to the speakers. IMHO, poor design. The wattage rating of your speakers and of the amp have nothing to do with the problem here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Louis B said:

Hi everyone, 

I purchased the Klipsch RP-500M (passive, 93dB, cont 75W, 8 Ohms). I coupled them with the Schiit Vidar (100 watts per chanel into 8 ohms). The sound is lovely but everytime I turn off the Vidar, the Klipsch speakers make a moderate "popping" / thud sound.

Any idea what could be the issue? My understanding is that these popping sounds may be related to a voltage transient spike that can damage the speakers or reduce their life span.

The Schiit rep that I contacted told me that the popping sound might be caused by the fact that the Vidar is providing too much power to the speakers. I'm a bit surprised to hear that since the power amp only has 25 watts in excess of the 75 watts rating of the speakers. 

As a sidenote, I use the Schiit Asgard 3 as a preamp (it has preamp outputs). It does make a popping sound as well through the headphones when they are plugged in. 

Thanks for your help!

on both the amp/preamp  is the volume control at 0

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for taking the time to post answers. I ended up adding a power speaker control (TC-7212) between the speakers and the amp. It allows me to "turn off" the speakers before initiating the powering down sequence of the amp and preamp.