Luxman vs Pass Labs

Cleese74

No experience with either, sorry.  Perhaps no one here has either. One has much more power, both cost an arm and a leg. I went on the cheap compared to you, I just ordered a new

Yamaha A S2200, to pair with my Chorus IIs, and my Yamaha CD S2100 cd/DAC. Good luck, and let us know which direction you went. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Buddy Shagmore said:

I went on the cheap compared to you, I just ordered a new

Yamaha A S2200, to pair with my Chorus IIs, and my Yamaha CD S2100 cd/DAC. Good luck, and let us know which direction you went. 

I think you will be very pleased with the combo.

Bill

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, willland said:

I think you will be very pleased with the combo.

Bill

I hope so. Currently using a vintage Marantz 2245, restored, which is wonderful. The stereo bug has bitten me again, thus I got the hankerin' to try something new, maybe will lead to having a 2nd system in my crib. The Yamaha should be here on Tuesday. It will (so far) be the most expensive component I've acquired. This could lead me down the rabbit hole, right? Willland, looking at your collection, I perhaps am preaching to the choir? 

On 6/27/2020 at 12:28 AM, Buddy Shagmore said:

Currently using a vintage Marantz 2245,

The Marantz 2252B I owned previously made my Heresys and Quartets sing a lullaby. 

Willland, looking at your collection, I perhaps am preaching to the choir? 

I don't know about that but I do enjoy them and am not anxious to "upgrade" anytime soon.

The Yamaha should be here on Tuesday. It will (so far) be the most expensive component I've acquired.

When your Yamaha arrives, examine it from top to bottom, especially the binding posts.  Yamaha packs with just regular styrofoam inserts instead of a more dense molded foam rubber.  When I bought my 48.5 lbs. A-S1000 from A4Less a few years back, the first one arrived with two bent binding posts so I immediately called the seller and arranged an exchange. Nothing on the outer box indicated that I had a problem inside.  Accessories4less is pretty local to me so I drove it up and exchanged in person.   Not sure who you ordered from so maybe when they ship they add an extra layer of protection.

Good luck and enjoy.

Bill

• Like 1

Willland, I was not meaning to imply that you need any upgrades. Your collection is awesome! I was suggesting that I am leaning towards adding a 2nd system for myself, since I just bought another component. My 2245 isn't going anywhere, I couldn't bear to lose it. I bought a 2245 at age 19, a long time ago, and I am sentimental over it. 

On 6/25/2020 at 10:38 AM, Cleese74 said:

Hello!

I would like to match my Forte III with a SS integrated amp. I am thinking about Pass Labs int-25 or go to the Luxman 509X.

do you have any good experiences matching Forte with these amps?

thank you, be safe!!!

Hi,

I drive my Forte III with a Pass Labs 30W power amplifier. Works well.

For an integrated, it is worth considering the Int-25 and if you have a chance do a trial.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2020 at 3:26 PM, Buddy Shagmore said:

No experience with either, sorry.  Perhaps no one here has either. One has much more power, both cost an arm and a leg. I went on the cheap compared to you, I just ordered a new

Yamaha A S2200, to pair with my Chorus IIs, and my Yamaha CD S2100 cd/DAC.

A Yamaha A-S2200 is an amazing amplifier ---I would put it against a Pass Labs any day , and if it is cheaper , is a bonus  , Yamaha put all top of the line parts in this amp , this is high end -

• Like 1

Give the NAD M32 a listen, especially if you stream Hi-Res digital audio.

I have (and had) plenty of tube & SS (Luxman, Audio Research, McIntosh, Wright 2A3 etc) and IMHO the M32 trounces them all. The tube amps actually sounded grainy in comparison.

On 6/25/2020 at 2:08 PM, Cleese74 said:

Hello!

I would like to match my Forte III with a SS integrated amp. I am thinking about Pass Labs int-25 or go to the Luxman 509X.

thank you, be safe!!!

Hi

I am using Luxman 590 AX II with Forte III which is Class A 30 wpc and 509 is Class AB 120 wpc. I am just loving the combo. Little details, I was after.  I am quite happy with this.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I ran my Cornwall 1's, Heresy 1's, and now Chorus 2's off a Luxman C-02/M-02 with very good results.  I found the Luxman stuff to be pretty punchy and very smooth.  I recently switched the Luxman set to another room and replaced them with  McIntosh MA9000 integrated (I wanted the 8 band equalization with my old ears but still seem to gravitate back to flat on many recordings), which also sounds great with the Chrous2's.  

Edited by Mark Z

On 6/25/2020 at 1:38 AM, Cleese74 said:

Hello!

thank you, be safe!!!

I have a Luxman 20 wpc Class A integrated.  Forget the model number, but it is a current or recent version.  Never drove my Klipsch with it but I am driving a pair of JBL 250TIs which typically like 200 - 400 wpc.  It drives them with ease and is as smooth as silk.  Love this integrated and the meters are so pretty. 

Go for it!

• 2 weeks later...