Sitting in Tailgater’s

Panelhead

• Moderators

Went there last week when we were in town to work on the museum.

I thought the food was good, been there plenty of times.

What's going to be a new museum building is right down the street, next to the Clinton museum. Yellow brick

museum.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, seti said:

I think what he is saying that the signs for the museum are the Clinton Boyhood Home.

Your probably right, I put that because many have never seen where the new building is, it's slowly getting in shape.

I told Jim we need to tell visitors or make a sign to let people know the colors  inside are authentic colors from the 1920's. If not they will think were all colorblind. :o 

I would have never guessed that was popular colors from that time, was thinking more basic colors.

9 hours ago, dtel said:

Your probably right, I put that because many have never seen where the new building is, it's slowly getting in shape.

I told Jim we need to tell visitors or make a sign to let people know the colors  inside are authentic colors from the 1920's. If not they will think were all colorblind. :o 

I would have never guessed that was popular colors from that time, was thinking more basic colors.

True.. Victorian and craftsman color schemes were crazy. My house is 1890 colonial revival but i refuse period colors on interior..

Historic Paint Colors

1920 Color Combinations | Color schemes, Color combinations, Color ...

Aladdin Paint::1916::Interior Enamel Colors | Vintage paint colors ...

• Like 2

• Moderators

If you haven't seen it just wait, one room, the front smallest room is wild looking.

What does not help is when standing in the big front room you can see the colors in other rooms, then another set going up the stairs, trim not done on those yet, so another color.

48 minutes ago, seti said:

My house is 1890 colonial revival but i refuse period colors on interior..

Well you know Jim is all about it being period correct, which is fine, but maby we should have stuck with just a couple different colors between those 3 rooms since there open to each other ?

But it's fine, main thing is it's painted and the carpet is gone except the stairs.

The floors look really good, a few light water stains that may disappear with a light sanding of all the floors but nothing rotten. They will look great when refinished. A area right by the front door looks like it was replaced, but it may blend in when sanded, if not it's a good place for a rug anyway.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dtel said:

If you haven't seen it just wait, one room, the front smallest room is wild looking.

What does not help is when standing in the big front room you can see the colors in other rooms, then another set going up the stairs, trim not done on those yet, so another color.

Well you know Jim is all about it being period correct, which is fine, but maby we should have stuck with just a couple different colors between those 3 rooms since there open to each other ?

But it's fine, main thing is it's painted and the carpet is gone except the stairs.

The floors look really good, a few light water stains that may disappear with a light sanding of all the floors but nothing rotten. They will look great when refinished. A area right by the front door looks like it was replaced, but it may blend in when sanded, if not it's a good place for a rug anyway.

Yeah period colors are wild. Can't wait to see it.

I've done more hardwood floors than I can count espcially old ones. There are a few ways of dealing with them. 1. sand straight to the wood, stain, and poly a few coats to look new. I only do that with the worst. 2. Light sanding almost by hand then stain to match where there are issues. Then poly a few coats. Leave imperfections for character. 3. Light sand, stain to make it uniform and poly. I've done all three and all work to various degrees. I prefer to leave the imperfections and live them. In my house it is a 120+ years old so it is ok to look lived in...

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, seti said:

Yeah period colors are wild. Can't wait to see it.

I've done more hardwood floors than I can count espcially old ones. There are a few ways of dealing with them. 1. sand straight to the wood, stain, and poly a few coats to look new. I only do that with the worst. 2. Light sanding almost by hand then stain to match where there are issues. Then poly a few coats. Leave imperfections for character. 3. Light sand, stain to make it uniform and poly. I've done all three and all work to various degrees. I prefer to leave the imperfections and live them. In my house it is a 120+ years old so it is ok to look lived in...

They were all mopped a few times to remove carpet/padding dust and they looked good just cleaned. (better when wet) We were thinking they were ever finished it was just the basic floor to put something over, Jim found out the house had carpet from the beginning and it was changed out only once. Or the carpet padding wore off the finish in 100 years ?

If it needs to be stained it would need to be lightly, they look good the color they are, you will see. It appears you have more experience with this than any of us 3, The idea I had was to not use the high gloss look but maby a Satin finish as to not show traffic patterns as much, but whatever is best. We were thinking maby a one day rental with a commercial sander with a fine sandpaper would be good enough. Jim thought he would bring his 4" sander from home :lol: I asked him if he was crazy, that is a crazy amount to attempt (4 rooms) with a small sander, they are not that expensive to rent the one made for that kind of job. The hand sander just for small problem spots,  he laughed, I told him he must have been hyperactive when he was young, Craig said he still is.

The only experience I have with this is helping our daughter and son in law do her 100 yo house 3 rooms.  You have more experience with this than us which is great because it is something we would be doing ourselves to save money. I think you will see it's in great shape and should overall be easy, a little different by the front door, and right against the fireplace marble which Jim said he is going to make a wood trim piece to repair that small strip. We got lucky there was no large damaged areas, it's a pretty good amount of square feet overall.

I'm sure you have good ideas of what to use to coat it with, I know there are many things, we need something not designed for pro's but still do well for wear.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, seti said:

I prefer to leave the imperfections and live them. In my house it is a 120+ years old so it is ok to look lived in...

Exactly, just what we all said, it looks more natural like that Can't wait for you to see it.

Craig is having shoulder surgery in a few weeks and will be out until September I guess so it will be a while before were back to work. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dtel said:

They were all mopped a few times to remove carpet/padding dust and they looked good just cleaned. (better when wet) We were thinking they were ever finished it was just the basic floor to put something over, Jim found out the house had carpet from the beginning and it was changed out only once. Or the carpet padding wore off the finish in 100 years ?

If it needs to be stained it would need to be lightly, they look good the color they are, you will see. It appears you have more experience with this than any of us 3, The idea I had was to not use the high gloss look but maby a Satin finish as to not show traffic patterns as much, but whatever is best. We were thinking maby a one day rental with a commercial sander with a fine sandpaper would be good enough. Jim thought he would bring his 4" sander from home :lol: I asked him if he was crazy, that is a crazy amount to attempt (4 rooms) with a small sander, they are not that expensive to rent the one made for that kind of job. The hand sander just for small problem spots,  he laughed, I told him he must have been hyperactive when he was young, Craig said he still is.

The only experience I have with this is helping our daughter and son in law do her 100 yo house 3 rooms.  You have more experience with this than us which is great because it is something we would be doing ourselves to save money. I think you will see it's in great shape and should overall be easy, a little different by the front door, and right against the fireplace marble which Jim said he is going to make a wood trim piece to repair that small strip. We got lucky there was no large damaged areas, it's a pretty good amount of square feet overall.

I'm sure you have good ideas of what to use to coat it with, I know there are many things, we need something not designed for pro's but still do well for wear.

That is awesome. I've just been a crash test dummy as I've done it wrong and then done it right. lol... One day is optimistic but you are right rental is needed for sure. Do they have a rental shop around there?

• Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 11:24 AM, dtel said:

Couldn't be any worse than the 70s colors like avocado, gold and burnt orange.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Seadog said:

Couldn't be any worse than the 70s colors like avocado, gold and burnt orange.

They sure tried. 

The front smaller room, all pic's are before removing the carpet.

museum (1).jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators

The big main room, looking at the fireplace, that wall color is the color it was before. When we painted it looked a little different until it dried.  The trim is a odd color, the walls look good. The shelves are the trim color but the wall behind them are white, the trim is not painted yet in this pic, just the mantle, i thought black would have looked good on the mantel trim.museum (2).jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

The biggest problem is when you stand in the main room all three room are wide open to each other and you see all the different colors. Then the stairs are another 2 colors. All the ceilings have been repainted also.

But it will be alright, nothing looks bad just alot of different colors..

When we went to pull out the carpet we had to pull off the bottom quarter round trim and noticed the bigger trim on the wall was raised over 1/4" from the floor. So we left it off and when we go back we will have to lower the quarter round to the floor hoping it covers the gap and then paint in where it will leave a line around the room.

• Like 1

Is period carpet out of the question in rooms?  Cost?  What's the reason for the hardwood if the house was initially carpeted?

I'm thinking outside the box here but the mills down south may have stuff that's close to period that's cheap/free and a simple rebond pad.

Up here period is mostly wool which is outta sight price wise.  

Hardwood would look great taken down, stained and polyed though.  Also cheaper.  Just lots of work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

When we went to pull out the carpet we had to pull off the bottom quarter round trim and noticed the bigger trim on the wall was raised over 1/4" from the floor. So we left it off and when we go back we will have to lower the quarter round to the floor hoping it covers the gap and then paint in where it will leave a line around the room.

Ewwwww, pull the molding and pray it doesn't split or just replace it all.  Paint it before ya nail it then touch it up. The pain is going to be staying awake laying there on the floor w/that belt sander taking that old paint line off.  HA!

Wish I were younger I'd be there for a month or so workin.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Is period carpet out of the question in rooms?  Cost?

Yes pretty much no way, It was initially carpeted.

Trying not to spend any more than we need. Back then this was what was built as the standard floor, Oak hardwood and in fancier homes they put carpet over it. This was a mansion back in 1920-21at over 4000sf and three stories,even with the top floor as a small room and a walk in attic on each side. It was initially carpeted.

Up here period is mostly wool which is outta sight price wise.  

Also being a museum it's going to have to be easily maintained, and carpet might be a problem with the general public going through it.

The carpet that came out of it was worn thin, but the padding was really thick, maby 1/2" and had fibers all through it almost like an insulated padding. Very old looking nothing like any padding I have ever seen, Jim said it may have even been a old thick type mix of hemp and whatever else maby different layers of thick cloth, maby wool ? The padding was much heaver than the carpet.

Ewwwww, pull the molding and pray it doesn't split or just replace it all. 

While Craig and I were painting the last thing the stairs Jim pulled off all the quarter round, none of it broke. But Jim has the patience of a saint and loves taking old things and saving them, I was really surprised none of it broke in three rooms. I can guarantee with my patience I would have broke some of it. 

The smart thing to do would be to leave it all off, touch up any paint and wait to the floors are sanded and finished before putting it back on. 

Hardwood would look great taken down, stained and polyed though.  Also cheaper.  Just lots of work.

Just a light sanding should do it, it really looks like it was never finished at all just bare wood, they probably just put carpet over it and was done.

The sander rental is not expensive considering I would think it could easily be done in one day with light sandpaper. Now the poly will not be cheap for that size area but not terrible i would think .  

Wish I were younger I'd be there for a month or so workin.  

Well your not alone, Craig and Jim and I all wish that every evening after work. We do not kill our self, but Craig and I are both 62 and Jim is 10 years older but we get it done at about the only speed we have left. 

• Thanks 1