Stacked AMT MEH Horns !

--  Hello , Ever since reading about Chris's MEH horns, and also other people following in his foot steps I have been really biting at the bit to build some MEH  Horns but I have been waiting to pull the trigger , mostly because of limited funds and also because of the threads on stacked AMT drivers have gotten such good reviews., and then because Chris and a few others mentioning that stacked AMT's might be Awesome in a MEH .  I have been searching regularly for any threads on anyone trying them in a MEH but haven't found any yet , but I thought I would throw it out there and see if I missed a thread or if someone had started work on some.....  Anyone seen the topic or know of a build started anywhere? ? ?

This is the only place where I've seen an MEH using an AMT-1--by user XRK971 at diyAudio:  https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/349546-ess-amt-1-projects-3.html#post6082784

805634d1577750220-unity-synergy-horn-clo

767105d1562603326-synergy-horn-amt-bce07

He added a midrange driver here in his MEH:

805633d1577750220-unity-synergy-horn-clo

He's using foamboard as a prototyping material.  Don't let that fool you--at lower SPL, this material works very well as a proof of concept tool.

816877d1581607688-ess-amt-1-projects-22c

816879d1581607829-ess-amt-1-projects-326

Chris

The problem that hasn't been addressed, of course, is the fitting of the horn to the AMT-1 profile.  This is a job that is tailor-made for some hobbyist having a 3-D printer, but I've seen no prototypes of this yet on this forum.  The thread that I posted above at diyAudio has one:  https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/349546-ess-amt-1-projects-3.html#post6086813

Another more tractable (i.e., easier to build) design is using the wings on the stacks/winged AMT-1 thread as the place to mount midrange/woofers.  I'd recommend as a starting point the off-axis ports for the midrange/woofers starting at about 2 inches from the plane of the AMT-1 diaphragm, i.e., almost at the start of the wings near the throat of the stacked AMT-1/wing assembly, so that you could crossover the AMT-1s at about 800 Hz to the midrange/woofers.

Perhaps I'll get a little more time to discuss this later, or perhaps one of the AMT-1 winged guys around this forum might have their own ideas of how to do this.  The horn doesn't need to have an enclosed top, and the bottom surface can be the top of the horizontal surface (furniture, separate bass bin or subwoofer, etc.) that the assembly rests on. 

Chris

If you can get the MEH lower cutoff frequency down to even 200 Hz, then you could cross over to a separate bass bin (like a La Scala, Belle, or FH-1 if horn loaded) and still be able to place the centerline of the stacked-winged assembly no more than 17 inches from the centerline of the dual-mouth bass bins--perhaps the crossover frequency would be more like 150 Hz.  This should be easier to do using 6" midrange/woofers or larger.  The cone driver would need to have a Qts probably below 1 (meaning: a largish motor and a light-weight cone) in order to keep from having a "sloppy sounding" midrange. 

The rest is just DSP crossover dialing-in--which I can help with if you're looking for support--but only if you're willing to spend a little time dialing them in.

Chris

---   Hi Chris thanks for the response and leads , I have seen some of  XRK's work  , and I purchased several items from him at his audio store/website on Etsy. ---  I have also talked to him on a number of audio topics, including the group buy we both participated in over at diyaudio.com for the revolutionary New Purifi Audio 6.5 inch mid-woofers...... a Very exciting speaker driver... ( the new driver design can lower the distortion found in speaker drivers by orders of magnitude... and those that have heard them say they are the Best by far that they have ever heard.)

---  thank you  for his thread info -  I will go and check out his  AMT build! .......... 

------  And Maybe someone will chime in here with more Ideas on this thread too.    

Best Regards,

Dean

Edited by hallcon83