plans for La Scalla and Belle's

New guy here. I am interested in building a set of La Scalla's and Belle's. i have been looking for some time for a pair of reasonably priced La Scalla's around my area with no luck so i figured I would build a pair. I have several sets of Heresy's but I am looking for more bass. I am in the process of rebuilding/ Restoring a set of EV loaded corner horns that were built in Baton Rouge Louisiana by Paul Kadair. he was big into Commercial audio for the big bands and did his own rendition of the Klipsch designed corner horns. any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that Schwartzman replying?  A "3" in "2" land?  Hi there fellow Ham.

Back to the original issue.  If you're looking for more bass Belle and LaScala really are not deep bass performeres but would make a good center between the EV versions.

There are dimensions here if you hunt around.  Maybe someone will point you.  Andy showed a very accurate LaScala. 

You should look at the Klipsch.com video of the LS II.  Getting the doghouse right is difficult for the LS.  If you look you'll see that Klipsch  used plywood plates at the top and bottom to allow the doghouse to be constructed as a unit before it is slided into the box for the LS II.

Re the Belle.  Very beautiful.  It is 18 inches deep and is built to use the K-500 mid which is very rare on the market.  Therefore you might be better off building the LS type which is about 24 inches deep and takes the less rare K-400. 

OTOH, the front point on the LS is the result of two very difficult to cut angles.  I've used an element on the front like the Belle which eliminates that issue and you'll have an LS which looks like a Belle in this regard

WMcD

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just posted these plans yesterday elsewhere on the forum, a whole set of CAD drawings that you could give to a cabinet maker or to build yourself.

It's metric (I live in the Netherlands), but has a few modifications such as 45 degree miters between the sides and top, and a back panel for the H/F section.The original was open in the back. The horizontal brace above the doghouse is slotted into the side panels of the speaker. There are even cut plans to get all the pieces out of 3 sheets of plywood, which takes a bit of planning.

LaScala drawings metric.pdf

8 hours ago, Ghostfather said:

Just posted these plans yesterday elsewhere on the forum, a whole set of CAD drawings that you could give to a cabinet maker or to build yourself.

It's metric (I live in the Netherlands), but has a few modifications such as 45 degree miters between the sides and top, and a back panel for the H/F section.The original was open in the back. The horizontal brace above the doghouse is slotted into the side panels of the speaker. There are even cut plans to get all the pieces out of 3 sheets of plywood, which takes a bit of planning.

LaScala drawings metric.pdf 404.08 kB · 11 downloads

so , these are not a  split cab design -------but a one piece cab ----------but they can be reworked to become split cabs --------

I'm considering changing the plans to beef up the exterior panels to 25mm (1"), as well as the back panel with splitter and bottom panel. After reading here on the forum about bracing to reduce resonance of the 3/4" original panels, this seems prudent. I will probably keep the doghouse and woofer motorboard as 18mm (3/4"). Also, the La Scala II went with 1" MDF to reduce resonance as well. This will make the exterior of the whole speaker a bit bigger, but the proportions and basic look should be the same.

My aim is to keep the interior dimensions the same as the original, for acoustic reasons, especially in the bass bin. The exterior matters less, even the H/F portion is not reliant on the dimensions for acoustics.

I may have been mistaken on the cover sheet of my plans stating that the original 1963 La Scala was made of 5/8" plywood, as it seems it was 3/4" plywood. My excuses.