Have we lost our Humanity

TFR1

Earlier this week I spent the day in the Hospital. The reason is not important, but the experience has been profound for me.

Atlanta's Emory Hospital is a highly rated care facility. They have provided care for the indigent and Presidents. (in fact last fall I spent time there with President Carter and Roselyn when he was receiving brain cancer treatment, an amazing human being)

Today was different though.

In a room with 8 very sick people, I realized I was looking into the eyes of the dying, yet they hold tight to the hope that this treatment will save them. 

In them I saw my moms heroic losing battle with cancer. 

I saw my Dad, nearing his 95 birthday, alone in a nursing home, isolated from his family by COVID 19. We talk, but I can't put my arms around him, and tell him I love him. 

I saw a caring and compassionate group of caregivers that did not judge anyone by skin color, only their needs.

A very gaunt Black man was helped into the room by his caring daughter and was seated next to me. We made eye contact and he greeted me with "Happy Father's Day".

A special type of man!

It is not a perfect world. Hateful people of all races continue to shoot, kill and loot on the streets of Atlanta, Chicago, New York, LA, Houston..............

But most of us have not lost our humanity. It's just that the ones that have seem to scream the loudest. 

Please engage with those around you. You may never know the difference you can make in one persons life..

Jerry

I am not a country music fan, but in the 70's a College friend introduced me to John Prine. I remain a fan.

This song has always been special, but is more meaningful today than ever.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

28 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Our humanity is not in question. We are presented bad examples all the time...

... there are a lot more folks doing good things than bad.

People being good/normal do not get attention or a pat on the back..

I agree with this 100%

• Like 3

Our humanity is in question if good people sit by and do nothing.

As an example, there are now and always have been bad cops. But the good out number the bad by huge percentages.

Yet there are places in this country that are serious about dismantling their police forces.

Where are the voices of the rational leaders in these communities?

• Like 1

Then there will be no protection from good cop bad cop.

Like in all things go some moderation. Extremes will never please everyone regardless.

There is such a thing as going just a bit to far. Some over the top

talk and even actions lately.The blame game is still alive and well.

Just do the best you can do on.

@oldtimer 

I believe I posited a question to start the thread, not a premise

26 minutes ago, TFR1 said:

I believe the above is a valid premise.

16 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

People ask for voices of reason, then reject those voices if they do not promote their intended point.  There is your humanity.

From my Cambridge English dictionary......"

humanity noun (KINDNESS)

C2 [ U ]

understanding and kindness toward other people.

I am not rejecting the voices of reason, I ask where they are.

In an ideal world, humanity can and does carry the connotation as kindness to another.

On a realistic course, we see man's inhumanity to man all too often.

Mankind can be humane to others, animals, the human race, their friends and family. Even strangers can feel the emotion given to them, just as a fellow member of that human race.

That word describing human is telling. For all the goodness, there

is another side of their makeup.

Not to detract farther than what 

was intendeding to say, there are positive and negative traits in the makeup of a human. At times and all too often we see the dark side of the human race so.

Most care I feel than not, since we are in this bodily existence in common.

When experience turns to sickness and caring for one another, we will inevitably see the very best, and the very worst of humanity.

All we can do is be ourselves.

Humanity at it's most positive can do things that are incomparable.

Trite, yet a smile and an act of kindness, is a ripple on a surface that has infinite vibration forever.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TFR1 said:

As an example, there are now and always have been bad cops. But the good out number the bad by huge percentages.

Yet there are places in this country that are serious about dismantling their police forces.

Where are the voices of the rational leaders in these communities?

Life is complex but simpler if you see the innumerous bell curves we experience. Bad plumbers, great plumbers. Bad car mechanic, great car mechanic. Politicians, law enforcement....all bell curves.

Revoking the licenses of the bad actors seems broke in allot of situations.

• Like 1