Son's vision is -0.25 in each eye and plays baseball. Does he need glasses?

JL Sargent

I know we have some people here that are experts in vision/glasses. My son just left the eye doc. He was told he didn't need glasses, but he did get a prescription for corrective lenses at -0.25 for each eye. So he is slightly near sighted, right? Wouldn't that affect his ability to play baseball at the varsity level? Based on his sporting activities, he think he might need them. What do you think?

@tube fanatic

5 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

I know we have some people here that are experts in vision/glasses. My son just left the eye doc. He was told he didn't need glasses, but he did get a prescription for corrective lenses at -0.25 for each eye. So he is slightly near sighted, right? Wouldn't that affect his ability to play baseball at the varsity level? Based on his sporting activities, he think he might need them. What do you think?

Well I had good eyes and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Good eyes help a lot but some people can do with not so good eyes.

JJK

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

@tube fanatic

Yes, he is slightly myopic and his Rx is certainly minimal.  If your son believes he needs to sharpen his acuity a bit, the Rx could be incorporated into a pair of protective glasses (which he should be using regardless) like Rec Specs.  The lenses should be polycarbonate or Trivex for maximum safety.  The latter has the advantage of better optical clarity, and doesn’t have the chromatic aberration issues of the former.   Both offer uv protection.   If the Rx doesn’t accomplish what your son desires, you can substitute plano (non Rx) lenses and just go for the safety.

Maynard

• Like 1

Baseball is more hand-eye coordination than visual perfection. Ever do ‘speed batting’? It’s not hitting ‘fast balls’.......   they have a bat handle cut off and a thin rod put in place of the bat head. Then they toss ping pong balls into the batting zone as fast as they want. His goal is to hit the small balls with his small bat, as fast as possible. This exercise will gauge and groom his hand eye coordination. And there no chasing balls. 😉😁🤗

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Baseball is more hand-eye coordination than visual perfection. Ever do ‘speed batting’? It’s not hitting ‘fast balls’.......   they have a bat handle cut off and a thin rod put in place of the bat head. Then they toss ping pong balls into the batting zone as fast as they want. His goal is to hit the small balls with his small bat, as fast as possible. This exercise will gauge and groom his hand eye coordination. And there no chasing balls. 😉😁🤗

I guess we couldn't afford speed batting 55 years ago or it might have helped me hit a curve ball.

JJK

• Like 1

In little league my oldest son was a lousy batter but was a superb pitcher. We was a natural side arm, right handed and tall for his age. My mother in laws neighbor was the left handed practice pitcher for the Anaheim Angels under Rod Carew and he coached my son just for grins. As we came through the ranks he was sought after a great deal. Then one season he was ‘picked’ to be on a team........    not to pitch but so they did not have to bat against him. They had good pitchers and depth. They had a strong team. And they sat him out for the season. My complaints to the league fell on deaf ears. That move soured the game for him and he never regained his enthusiasm. 

• Like 1

His eyes are fine but I would get him checked every year.

Half of what goes into batting is knowing what to look for as it comes out of the pitcher's hand and picking up the rotation. When you're at the plate, you have to think like a pitcher.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Deang said:

His eyes are fine but I would get him checked every year.

Half of what goes into batting is knowing what to look for as it comes out of the pitcher's hand and picking up the rotation. When you're at the plate, you have to think like a pitcher.

I defy you to pick up the rotation of a 100 MPH fastball and have time to swing the bat. It is not possible.

JJK

14 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

@tube fanatic

Definitely shoot for the new glasses -0.25 and add lenses that are the Transition type so as to darken when he goes out in the sun ,  as his eyesight will worsen if he doesnt also have sunglasses

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RandyH 000 said:

Definitely shoot for the new glasses -0.25 and add lenses that are the Transition type so as to darken when he goes out in the sun ,  as his eyesight will worsen if he doesnt also have sunglasses

The key issue is UV exposure so, if JL’s son is not bothered by brightness, going with Transitions is not necessary.  Brightness does not make eyes get worse.  In fact, recent studies on myopia progression in kids have shown that exposure to bright, outdoor light actually reduces myopia progression.  

Maynard

11 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

The key issue is UV exposure so, if JL’s son is not bothered by brightness, going with Transitions is not necessary.  Brightness does not make eyes get worse.  In fact, recent studies on myopia progression in kids have shown that exposure to bright, outdoor light actually reduces myopia progression.  

Maynard

one cause of myopia is squinting and eye strain , if a kid is gonna be in the sun a lot --Sunglasses are even better

2 hours ago, JJkizak said:

I defy you to pick up the rotation of a 100 MPH fastball and have time to swing the bat. It is not possible.

JJK

You do it right as it leaves his hand. The biggest impediment is a quirky release.

A closer that only has two pitches and can only pitch an inning because of the heat?  I know great hitters can do it. 

https://appliedvisionbaseball.com/how-to-improve-your-pitch-recognition-in-baseball/

On 6/26/2020 at 4:45 PM, JL Sargent said:

@tube fanatic

12030488_1653660551579424_81640433982763