Klipsch Quartet opinions

Hi,

Going to look at pair of Quartets tomorrow. Says they are excellent condition from 1993. Bottom line $500.

Any opinions on if good speaker for the price? Anything I should look or listen for to ensure good shape?

Im on a speaker binge, just getting some diff speakers so I can learn what I do and don’t like. New to this hobby.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome

I have never heard a Quartets so I can't comment. But they are the little brother to the Forte so I would imagine they are fine.

I would think that price is a little high, but that comes back to condition and location ease for you to get them. 

If they're in mint condition it's a fair price.  If you can listen to them put your ear by each driver to make sure sound is coming out.  Turn the volume up a bit to make sure you don't hear any distortion.

Quartets are wonderful speakers.  

53 minutes ago, dtel said:

I would think that price is a little high, but that comes back to condition and location ease for you to get them.

45 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

If they're in mint condition it's a fair price. 

Agree.

Bill

10 hours ago, Speaker Hoard said:

Im on a speaker binge, just getting some diff speakers so I can learn what I do and don’t like. New to this hobby.

Quartets are decent speakers I've had several sets and a friend of mine had a pair for quite awhile they were actually his first Klipsch speakers. I remember stopping by his place after he had them for a few days and he was in complete dis-belief; he told me he had listened to a Tom Petty track (one of his favorites he had heard 1000 times before) but now it was different, he could hear a finger snap in the background clear as day and he had never noticed it before. That started the "bug" for him, good luck with your new adventure!

3 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

at that price , they should be mint , a better choice would a Heresy  or a Forte ,

Minty Walnut finish would be worth it IMO-- agree though I'd much rather have a set of forte I or II any day of the week and twice on Sunday, significantly better and not a lot bigger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

Minty Walnut finish would be worth it IMO-- agree though I'd much rather have a set of forte I or II any day of the week and twice on Sunday, significantly better and not a lot bigger.

Of course we have our own experiences but I found the Quartets to be the same in most ways with the Forte IIs and the Chorus IIs with less low end depth.  I did have mine tilted up quite a bit to get the mid horns in line with my ears so that most likely contributed to my opinion.

Bill

1 hour ago, willland said:

Of course we have our own experiences but I found the Quartets to be the same in most ways with the Forte IIs and the Chorus IIs with less low end depth. 

Bill

I've had bookshelf speakers with better low end response for the size of the cabinets I feel they should do much better they're not a bad speaker I just feel for their size and typical sale price there are better options like the KG 5.5 / 5.2 the KLF-10, RF-5's and as mentioned before either of the older forte models to name a few, just my personal opinion.

• Like 1

Glad you got them, they look nice.  I was disappointed in the previous advice to pass on them.  Putting them up on risers will cost you in the loss of bass.  Tilt them up a bit from the front and they should be good.  Only way to tell regarding mods is to open them up.

Thanks Bill,

This seems to be working good, just a pine stair tread to tilt them up a bit.

Man, this is my first “big” pair of speakers, I love how it makes the singer and instruments seem bigger, like a full size person singing in the room instead of a “little person”, lol

F0DE1F8A-7250-478F-BF1C-1273497B2FBA.jpeg

F4863F21-D1DD-4E2D-B414-135F866B0F43.jpeg

• Like 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Speaker Hoard said:

Man, this is my first “big” pair of speakers, I love how it makes the singer and instruments seem bigger, like a full size person singing in the room instead of a “little person”, lol

The bigger sound is addictive, and it's a slippery slope for the weak, like me.

Compared to what is on the side of it in your picture it's big, but in reality to what's available and what many people here have it's small. The all can get loud, but the bigger, the bigger the sound. But no matter what good sound is good sound, you probably notice they sound more like live music and not relaxed or laid back. Live music is punchy and lively not laid back.

Like you have them raised in that picture is better than stands as far and not losing any bass.

They look good in your room, love the cabinet. 

I got Quartets as part of a package deal years ago, after I had already found a pair of Forte 2s. Was going to do a 5.1 with those and a KLF C7 that came with the Quartets.

Didn’t think much of them until I sold them realizing 2 channel was where I was at, and still am.

By that time I had Cornwalls and I remember being pleasantly surprised when I fired the Quartets back up to demo them.

The fellow that bought the Quartets was smitten with them.

Tilting them up, as you found, works nicely for just about any speaker below ear level.

Try pulling them out another foot into the room and easing up on the toe-in. My speakers are usually almost always straight forward forming an equilateral triangle with the listening position.

You may be surprised at the imaging.

Nothing to lose if it’s a bust, but the soundstage goes back deeper the further out from the wall you have your speakers. It’s quite a striking realization after you have had the same speakers for a while and “discover” it,

...I learned that here, lol