Klipsch Quartet opinions

I like my Quartets.  Circumstances forced me to sell my Forte II.  As things turned out my circumstanes were not that bad but at the time it had to be done.

My favorite experience with the Quartets was to drag the not so big, big screen up to the couch and put the Quartets on either side.  StarTrek TNG is my secret enjoyment.  It was ear opening to hear the sound of the engines in the background from scene to scene.

No one should hesitate to purchase the Quartets, IMHO.

WMcD

• Like 2

Yea I def like the bigger sound, this could be a slippery slope 😁 My cabinet is from wood waves, it’s cool but was a pain to install and not very component friendly 😏

Tried pulling them in closer and reduce toe-in, I like the result . Making great, deeper soundstage, and speakers seem to disappear more. 👍👍

0657AA62-3D6E-4B2E-87BE-0F31C915C5B8.jpeg

• Like 3

I like my Quartets.  Circumstances forced me to sell my Forte II.  As things turned out my circumstanes were not that bad but at the time it had to be done.

My favorite experience with the Quartets was to drag the not so big, big screen up to the couch and put the Quartets on either side.  StarTrek TNG is my secret enjoyment.  It was ear opening to hear the sound of the engines in the background from scene to scene.

No one should hesitate to purchase the Quartets, IMHO.

WMcD

• Like 1

• Moderators

I would say yes, looks original to me. 

I asked a Klipsch engineer once about updating my caps in the fortes and he told me there probably fine, caps used in them last much longer than the older type caps used in the older Heritage.

One of the problems I guess (others may know) is they gave to be removed to test them, it could end up being a pain with little if any improvements ?  Some want to change the design of crossovers,  not the best thing to do if you have no way to test what changes you have made, unless you want it to sound different than it was designed  to sound. To me what they were designed to do was also designed around what each driver and cabinet design was capable of doing to get the best overall sound as one complete design.

Just my opinion after years of talking to the guy who designed many of the most popular designs trying to get the most out of each design.  Seeing this process it's not a throw parts together do a couple test and let it go, It's way more.  If a couple little changes could make real improvements you can bet it's included, I was really shocked how how many small changes and sometimes large were made then tested to the overall design, it really takes more patience than I would have.

20 hours ago, Speaker Hoard said:

Well I lied, couldn’t help myself and purchased them. So far so good, I really like how they sound.

good , I am happy you like them  ,  apart from a corner , they look really good

54 minutes ago, Speaker Hoard said:

Does this appear to be original crossover components?

I wouldn't touch these 100% original , and great looking caps crossovers , leave them be  if they sound right , if they dont ,  do the upgrades , let your ears be the judge -

14 minutes ago, dtel said:

I would say yes, looks original to me.

One of the problems I guess (others may know) is they gave to be removed to test them, it could end up being a pain with little if any improvements ?

I second it 100%

• 2 weeks later...

I started to notice what seemed liked an echo of high frequency in my right speaker. Not sure if I just didn't notice this before, but seems one of my tweeters is bad.

Looked into the crites upgrades and saw how to test tweeter using multi-meter. Sure enough that tweeter is not getting a response with multi-meter, while the other tweeter is registering right around 8ohms.

Also pulled the mid range horns and tested, they both read about 12ohms, so guessing those are fine.

Looks like i'll be upgrading to the titanium tweeters, and probably replacing the crossovers while i'm at it just for the heck of it. Going to call crites today and probably place order. Thought it would be cool to replace the mid range as well but looks like those are out of stock.

Any thoughts or advice?

1 hour ago, Speaker Hoard said:

I started to notice what seemed liked an echo of high frequency in my right speaker. Not sure if I just didn't notice this before, but seems one of my tweeters is bad.

Looked into the crites upgrades and saw how to test tweeter using multi-meter. Sure enough that tweeter is not getting a response with multi-meter, while the other tweeter is registering right around 8ohms.

Also pulled the mid range horns and tested, they both read about 12ohms, so guessing those are fine.

Looks like i'll be upgrading to the titanium tweeters, and probably replacing the crossovers while i'm at it just for the heck of it. Going to call crites today and probably place order. Thought it would be cool to replace the mid range as well but looks like those are out of stock.

Any thoughts or advice?

The mid range k61k (k52 w/horn) rarely go bad so no need to spend money there IMO.

If you haven't ordered from Crites yet keep in mind that their xovers are just a copy of the OEM schematic and nothing more – but they do use better quality parts. If you have the skill set available to you to solder you could save a hundred+ bucks refreshing your own xovers.

17 minutes ago, Speaker Hoard said:

Okay thanks, actually just ordered the xover and tweeters. I dont really have the skill set to DIY the xover, so happy to spend the little extra.

I'll post an update on here once done with maybe some pic's and my impression of new sound quality.

I have the Crites Ti's in both forte IIs & klf-30s and like them. You will find the Ti's will make your highs a bit brighter, clearer and even better detail.

• Like 1

Interesting that Star Trek TNG was mentioned in relationship to its audio.  I noticed that my TV had optical out and that my NAD D3020 (hooked up to a set of unmodified Quartets had TOSLINK in. I started binge watching TNG and on of the first things I noticed was the engine noise as the Enterprise passed by.  Preposterous, really, since there’s no sound in space.  But it does sound cool, which is really the point...

got new crossovers and tweeters hooked up, was super easy to do. Sound is good, hard to compare to old sound, but they def sound better to me. I guess that shoyld be expected since one of my tweeters was bad. One thing i do feel is that bass is tighter, might be placebo effect though... either way happy i upgraded them.

All in all i really like these speakers. Only negative i feel is that the sweet spot is pretty narrow, but maybe some placement and toe in experiments might help.

Forgot to get pic of new tweeter, but not much to see. here is pic of crossover

6B8BC474-9685-4568-B3F3-D26481122BBF.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late to this thread - I too a few years ago bought a mint pair of Quartets for the house (I also have Chorus II's in my office).  If you have access to other receivers or amps, try them out - I've found the Quartet's sound ever so different on other sources, you may prefer one over another.

• Like 1