Svs pb16 ultra issues

JoeJoeThe3rd

43 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I don't buy this argument for an excuse in a small room. Mine is 11.5x16.5 with an 8 foot ceiling. I'm using TWO big TH subs as my Right and Left channel "Speaker Stands." One is 18 cubic feet and the other, 22. The 18 is soon to be replaced by another 22, and I'll have an additional 22 foot one against the rear wall that goes down to 12 Hz.. I don't buy this excuse for not having enough subs or BIGGER Subs, of Tapped Horn Variety for LOW DISTORTION performance and high output required for modern ATMOS and getting down into the TEENs as far as response goes IF you listen to Blockbuster Movies at "Reference" levels. All others direct radiators are "miniature" in comparison to the POWER and WAVELENGTHS required (about 56 FEET at 20 Hz.). If your floor and calves don't vibrate, then your subs are too WIMPY in my opinion, my ears, and measurements. But hey go ahead and enjoy those distortion generators that use way too many watts to generate those distortions!!!

If there's a WILL, there's a WAY in a small room, which is what most people have anyhow.

first of all its not an argument & i wasnt trying to sell it to you, was just stating that some/many people dont want or need TWO big horn subs nor do they want to build them as required with the TH subs. & i agree(d) that horn subs are great & the right ones can be better than high dollar direct radiator subs... doesnt change the fact that they are not always an option for some rooms size or lay outs & neither are 4 15" subs.  maybe he lives in an apartment or small house with close neighbors or has a wife that doesnt want big horn subs or multiples.  lots of variables in this hobby.     

1 minute ago, jason str said:

Nobody said it was a match.

Feel free to buy what you want.

i was asking why you told me to look at the size difference between the 2, they are within ~1" of each other...

what i buy isnt in question here, i was replying to your initial post about using multiple dayton subs.  

thanks for the permission to buy what i want, you are also welcome to buy what you want. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

first of all its not an argument & i wasnt trying to sell it to you, was just stating that some/many people dont want or need TWO big horn subs nor do they want to build them as required with the TH subs. & i agree(d) that horn subs are great & the right ones can be better than high dollar direct radiator subs... doesnt change the fact that they are not always an option for some rooms size or lay outs & neither are 4 15" subs.  maybe he lives in an apartment or small house with close neighbors or has a wife that doesnt want big horn subs or multiples.  lots of variables in this hobby.     

Of course. You are correct. My point was if there's a WILL, there's a way....................especially when you have WAF or GAF approval, which are not always part of the process.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

why? they are about the same size.  now times that by 3-4 multiples as was suggested for the daytons to match the 16 ultra.  my point was multiples & large horn subs arent always practical or possible.

It's not always a price thing, but having EXPERIENCED the research of Todd Welti of JBL, it's about SMOOTHNESS of MODAL distribution of bass, which can only be achieved by MORE, smaller, subs. Case and point. DizRotus has 4 of what I call "mini tapped horns" that go down to 25 Hz. in his small room for less than 1/4 the price of the SVS commercial product, which are excellent, but hardly a "bang for buck" winner. Either way, it's good to have so many choices.

13 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

i was asking why you told me to look at the size difference between the 2, they are within ~1" of each other...

what i buy isnt in question here, i was replying to your initial post about using multiple dayton subs.  

thanks for the permission to buy what i want, you are also welcome to buy what you want. 

SVS   Overall Dimensions: 22.5" (H) x 20.5" (W) x 29.9" (D) (with grille)  ---------------------------    13,376.2 Cu In.          

Dayton   • Dimensions (plastic feet included): 19-3/4" H x 19-1/4" W x 19-3/4" D. -------------   7,508.7 Cu In                

Just for the record.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jason str said:

SVS   Overall Dimensions: 22.5" (H) x 20.5" (W) x 29.9" (D) (with grille)  ---------------------------    13,376.2 Cu In.          

Dayton   • Dimensions (plastic feet included): 19-3/4" H x 19-1/4" W x 19-3/4" D. -------------   7,508.7 Cu In                

Just for the record.

my bad, i was looking at the SB16.  yes the PB16 is bigger than the dayton, mainly in the depth.  but i still dont see the point for comparing dimensions when we were talking about multiple daytons vs a single 16 ultra. 

2 daytons -----------------   15,017.4 cu in.  do the math for 3 or 4 of them.  then factor in where multiples can be placed in any given room. 

not trying to argue, just replying to your post to compare the dimensions of the subs.  

4 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

2 daytons -----------------   15,017.4 cu in.  do the math for 3 or 4 of them.  then factor in where multiples can be placed in any given room. 

not trying to argue, just replying to your post to compare the dimensions of the subs.  

I took your number and the total VOLUME (converted by the 1,728 denominator) in cubic feet is 8.69 for the two Daytons......................which is really funny to someone like me, who, by summer's end, will have 66 Cubic feet in 2 corners and one rear wall dedicated to Tapped Horn Subs with ACOUSTIC Output at LOW distortion exceeding 130 dB with around  97 db/watt efficiency for each one (3 total). So I'll be "chewing up" 8 times more volume of space than a pair of what I call "mini subs while the rest of you decry them as too big, LOL.

I also have a Mackie Sub that goes down to 19 Hz. that is a 12" direct radiator/Bass Reflex Box with a Passive 12, but that will be used for my Computer Speakers in the office.

Back to the OP.  While SVS is not necessarily the worst way to spend $2,000, since it does offer good performance with all of the inherent LIMITATIONS of that box/driver design relative to other BRANDS, so them shipping the wrong cord for the US market is a pretty minor problem as compared the the ROOM the sub sits in that you are trying to, hopefully optimize for best performance at the sweet spot.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:41 PM, David y said:

No, the first one I bought had huge scratches on the left side. So they ordered me a new one which I picked up today and gave them back the scratched up one to only find out they gave me the wrong cord. I think it’s a cord for Europe or something. So I only have one kind sir. 

Family problems have kept me from here recently.

Just wanted to say that I only have one of the lesser 3000 series and it does wonders for my music with the phase adjustments available!

• Like 1

Finally got it working and got it in my room. Just flopped it down in the first corner of the room that I thought it would sound good and haven’t used any microphones or dialed it in and man. I loved my klipsch sub but holy shit. This thing is just on a whole different level. This thing is actually absolutely amazing. It’s so f’ing crazy and the sound quality it astonishing and the power and the frequency range is amazing. I had never experienced a subwoofer that can go subsonic and let me tell you this thing can go subsonic. The pb16 is an underhung voice cool opposed to the sb16 which uses a overhung coil and they both have there pros and cons and the sb is suppose to be better for music because of its better performance in its upper frequency range and better Efficiency and just suppose to be cleaner I guess you can say. But tbh the pb16 outperforms the sb16 in all frequency’s except when you start getting to about 80hz I believe and it’s only by like 1 or 2 dB and other than the the pb puts out more power by like 10 db and I believe there thd is about the same but I think the pb might be less at some frequency’s and vis versa with the sb. Also the underhung coil is suppose to put out less distortion but Everyone has there own opinion and I’ve heard with people that really know what they are talking about don’t recommend underhung voicecoils but some of the best performing speakers out there implement that coil. They both have there pros and cons but I guess what I’m getting at is this subwoofer is freaking amazing and it’s so clean and beautiful sounding and doesn’t sound boomy even though I just threw it in the first spot I saw. I’m sure after messing with all the equalizers in the app and fine tuning the placement of it and when I find the sweet spot this thing is gonna give me a heart attack out of pure love lol. This is an amazing subwoofer and imo worth every bit of the 2000$. I bought it through a dealer and got a good deal on it. It really rocks your socks and it’s amazing and I could go on and on and I have only begun to scratch the surface of this thing. It really had quality sounding bass in all the frequency ranges, from the little I’ve tested it out. Also it’s pretty amazing because it’s the best if both worlds when it comes to HT and music because it has the ports that you can plug or party plug or leave open and it helps the performance for which ever situation you want. It’s a pretty astonishing subwoofer in the aspect that no other companies have done what they have done with the three ports and the ease of Access with the app to the best of my knowledge. I know there’s other subs out there to outperform this thing for less money supposedly but they all have there pros and cons and this thing is quality and who Ever buys it I don’t think would be disappointed. Thanks guys for the help. Keep ok rockin.

Edited by David y
  • Like 4

On 6/27/2020 at 8:25 AM, willland said:

My experience with my SVS SB13 Plus has been all that and more.

Sorry about your misfortunes.

Go get one of these and contact SVS to credit you the cost.

https://www.staples.com/Tripp-Lite-SJT-5-15P-5-15R-Heavy-Duty-Power-Extension-Cord-14-AWG-10-P024-010/product_2509392

image.png.e4a8146ef203712877835627334118b2.png

Bill

I'm with willland; I had nothing but a positive experience before and after the sale with SVS. As far as your scratches go-did you buy a sub from their "outlet store"? Assuming it was used, and described accurately, I would expect scratches. As for the cord, send 'em a photo and I'll bet they'll ship you a new one. Or as willland suggested, just buy a cord and be done with it.

On 7/1/2020 at 6:34 PM, David y said:

Finally got it working and got it in my room. Just flopped it down in the first corner of the room that I thought it would sound good and haven’t used any microphones or dialed it in and man. I loved my klipsch sub but holy shit. This thing is just on a whole different level. This thing is actually absolutely amazing. It’s so f’ing crazy and the sound quality it astonishing and the power and the frequency range is amazing. I had never experienced a subwoofer that can go subsonic and let me tell you this thing can go subsonic. The pb16 is an underhung voice cool opposed to the sb16 which uses a overhung coil and they both have there pros and cons and the sb is suppose to be better for music because of its better performance in its upper frequency range and better Efficiency and just suppose to be cleaner I guess you can say. But tbh the pb16 outperforms the sb16 in all frequency’s except when you start getting to about 80hz I believe and it’s only by like 1 or 2 dB and other than the the pb puts out more power by like 10 db and I believe there thd is about the same but I think the pb might be less at some frequency’s and vis versa with the sb. Also the underhung coil is suppose to put out less distortion but Everyone has there own opinion and I’ve heard with people that really know what they are talking about don’t recommend underhung voicecoils but some of the best performing speakers out there implement that coil. They both have there pros and cons but I guess what I’m getting at is this subwoofer is freaking amazing and it’s so clean and beautiful sounding and doesn’t sound boomy even though I just threw it in the first spot I saw. I’m sure after messing with all the equalizers in the app and fine tuning the placement of it and when I find the sweet spot this thing is gonna give me a heart attack out of pure love lol. This is an amazing subwoofer and imo worth every bit of the 2000$. I bought it through a dealer and got a good deal on it. It really rocks your socks and it’s amazing and I could go on and on and I have only begun to scratch the surface of this thing. It really had quality sounding bass in all the frequency ranges, from the little I’ve tested it out. Also it’s pretty amazing because it’s the best if both worlds when it comes to HT and music because it has the ports that you can plug or party plug or leave open and it helps the performance for which ever situation you want. It’s a pretty astonishing subwoofer in the aspect that no other companies have done what they have done with the three ports and the ease of Access with the app to the best of my knowledge. I know there’s other subs out there to outperform this thing for less money supposedly but they all have there pros and cons and this thing is quality and who Ever buys it I don’t think would be disappointed. Thanks guys for the help. Keep ok rockin.

good to hear you stuck it out to get a new power cord. did you buy one or have svs send you one?  i can tell by your post that you are very happy with it, as 99% of svs owners are even with smaller models.  i own 2 sb2000's & am very happy with them for my system/room/budget & they add a whole nother dimension to my chorus2 speakers or fortes & even helped a lot with k-horns that can be "unbalanced" in many rooms or systems.  

another thing to try with your sub before getting into fancy mic's & digital calibrations is the "sub crawl", basicallly you put the sub at or near your main listening position & crawl around the room listening for the best bass sound, that is where you locate the sub. kinda primitive but it works & made a big difference vs just plopping it down in a corner. but that pb16 is huge so moving it around is a work out!  

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2020 at 6:04 AM, Peter P. said:

I'm with willland; I had nothing but a positive experience before and after the sale with SVS. As far as your scratches go-did you buy a sub from their "outlet store"? Assuming it was used, and described accurately, I would expect scratches. As for the cord, send 'em a photo and I'll bet they'll ship you a new one. Or as willland suggested, just buy a cord and be done with it.

No they were brand new. I just went back up to the store and got my old cord. I also called svs customer support and told them my problem and they sent my out and extra cord free of charge.

• Like 2

another thing to consider besides performance with the cost for svs that nobody has mentioned: 

the price includes shipping regardless of the model/size.

45 day in home trial, if you dont like it return shipping is also free.

1 year trade up policy for full price credit. 

lifetime free tech support, ive talked with svs for 30+ minutes before buying my subs & again after. very informative & helpful. 

& the 5 year warranty that usually extends beyond that.

edit:  & the warranty is transferable when bought used!  not aware of any audio company that offers all that....

3 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

another thing to consider besides performance with the cost for svs that nobody has mentioned: 

the price includes shipping regardless of the model/size.

45 day in home trial, if you dont like it return shipping is also free.

1 year trade up policy for full price credit. 

lifetime free tech support, ive talked with svs for 30+ minutes before buying my subs & again after. very informative & helpful. 

& the 5 year warranty that usually extends beyond that.

Yes very very good customer support. I talked to a customer support representative the other day and he was on the phone with me for about a half an hour and we were comparing frequency response from a website for the PB16 and the SB 16 we were just going back-and-forth to see which one had the better frequency response at each frequency. It was pretty cool that he would do that for me so I wouldn’t have to go back and forth from each website. I also had some more detailed questions he sent up to the higher ups for me which is nice. as he put it they are not a cross there t’s and dot there I’s type of company and said if I needed more time for my in home trial they would give it to me and so on and so forth. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, David y said:

I’m acually thinking about returning this subwoofer and going balls to the wall like youthman and getting the jtr captivator s2. What do you guys think about that decision and about a subwoofer like that and about a subwoofer like that for that kind of money?

10 or 15 daytons would outperform it...