amp synergy with Cornwall IV's/Forte III's/Heresey IV's?

PWK used the Crown D45- D60 amps , at his House on his own Khorns -

At  the Klipsch Hope Factory , in his Lab   , he used  the BGW 250 which was said to be  his favorite  100wpc /8ohms  -  all were AB class SS amps - with Khorns , Belle , Cornwall , Heresy , Chorus , Forte , LaScala ----

Paul Klipsch | Klipsch, Klipsch speakers, Hifi

2 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Can you post pictures of your setup..?

Do you have at least some basic speaker/room reflection points attended to with acoustical treatments..?

The reason I ask is based on my experiences many people start swapping equipment trying to fix problems that are really early room reflection issues which should really be the first thing attended to if you have the freedom to use acoustical treatments.

miketn

CW.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, merkinman said:

CW.jpg

Nice room merkinman..!

It’s not clear to me from the pictures how thick are your acoustical panels..?  I have found that a minimum thickness of 2” and/or some physical spacing off the wall helps to avoid tonal balance colorations that 1” thick panels can create.

I can’t tell from the picture if the right walls ~ 2x4 acoustical panel is at the first reflection point of the left speaker on the right wall which is a very important reflection to deal with since it is a very strong/early reflection that will have a significant influence on perceived tonal balance, clarity and imaging.  If it isn’t and your interested in a temporary experiment I would suggest moving the 2x4 panel (unless you have extras then use them) to the floor angled back slightly to create a small spacing between the panel and wall which will increase it’s absorption performance and also catch some of the floor/wall reflection of the left speaker at the right wall.  Of course doing this for the Right Speakers reflection at the left wall is just as important and recommended during the experiment.

One other comment since I can’t see the area behind the listening chair but in my rooms I always pay attention to Loudspeaker/Listener 1st reflection points on the back wall behind the listener especially if the back wall is within 5’ to 10’ of the listener.

Anyway just some observations that might help if your interested.

Thanks again for sharing a picture of your listening room.

miketn

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Nice room merkinman..!

It’s not clear to me from the pictures how thick are your acoustical panels..?  I have found that a minimum thickness of 2” and/or some physical spacing off the wall helps to avoid tonal balance colorations that 1” thick panels can create.

I can’t tell from the picture if the right walls ~ 2x4 acoustical panel is at the first reflection point of the left speaker on the right wall which is a very important reflection to deal with since it is a very strong/early reflection that will have a significant influence on perceived tonal balance, clarity and imaging.  If it isn’t and your interested in a temporary experiment I would suggest moving the 2x4 panel (unless you have extras then use them) to the floor angled back slightly to create a small spacing between the panel and wall which will increase it’s absorption performance and also catch some of the floor/wall reflection of the left speaker at the right wall.  Of course doing this for the Right Speakers reflection at the left wall is just as important and recommended during the experiment.

One other comment since I can’t see the area behind the listening chair but in my rooms I always pay attention to Loudspeaker/Listener 1st reflection points on the back wall behind the listener especially if the back wall is within 5’ to 10’ of the listener.

Anyway just some observations that might help if your interested.

Thanks again for sharing a picture of your listening room.

miketn

Thanks for the input.  The 2x4 panels are 2" deep and the 1x4 are 1".  I have bass traps in the corners as well.  Nothing on the side walls behind the seating position.  The back wall is floor to ceiling book shelves.  

On 6/26/2020 at 10:29 PM, wuzzzer said:

I have a pair of 1981 Heresys that I'm using a Sony STR-DA5000ES receiver from 2004 with.  Brand new it sold for $1,500.  I bought mine for $40 through the Facebook marketplace.  It is absolutely incredible.  Most 15-25 year old ES receivers sell for $75-200.  No one wants them anymore because they don't have hdmi or other modern features.  If you don't need those, you're in luck. 

You definitely don't need to spend anywhere near $5k for audio nirvana.  I would seriously suggest checking your local craigslist and Facebook for older Sony ES gear.  There's also many to choose from on eBay. 

I've picked up 5 similar amps some as low as zero or $14

All have great stereos at the core

turn off all the surround options

HK, Pioneers, Yamaha, Sony total investment less than $60

YMMV

• Like 1