What vintage receiver should I buy to drive my Forte speakers

Kraken

I bought a pair of Forte speakers in '88 mated to a Yamaha R9 receiver.

In 2004, the Yamaha died so I replaced it with a Harman Kardon AVR 7200 and added a set of home theater speakers and subwoofer.  I put the Fortes in storage for use at a later date.

Well it is officially later and I want to use my Forte speakers with a vintage receiver in a 2 channel set up so I can listen to music.

I found this forum while researching a potential purchase of a Denon DRA-825ra or a Luxman R-115.

The 825ra is advertised as in un-used, pristine shape and it looks like it. It does not have any signs of wear and is very clean complete with AM loop and FM antennae, RC-125 remote, original box and packaging including dust sleeve. It does not have its manuals. The Denon DRA-825ra purchase includes a Denon DCM-555II cd changer in equal condition.

The Luxman R-115 is used, no remote, no manual, no antennae, nor box. It is fully functional and has been recently serviced.

In vintage stereo circles, the R-115 is highly regarded  while the Denon has its fans, but is much less celebrated.

They are the same price.

I can pick the Luxman up locally but the Denon will need to be shipped across the county adding that cost to the total purchase price.

So which is the better receiver to use with my Fortes and which is the better buy?

Thanks

Edited by Kraken

• Kraken changed the title to What vintage receiver should I buy to drive my Forte speakers

@Kraken,

Welcome to the forum.

9 hours ago, Kraken said:

Well it is officially later and I want to use my Forte speakers with a vintage receiver in a 2 channel set up so I can listen to music.

I found this forum while researching a potential purchase of a Denon DRA-825ra or a Luxman R-115.

I have owned a Luxman R-115 as well as the legendary R-117 as well as 3 or 4 Denon PMA integrated amps from the 80's/90's.  All have been rock solid reliable and mated very well with my Quartets, Fortes, Heresys, and RB-5s.

The Luxman R-115 is used, no remote, no manual, no antennae, nor box. It is fully functional and has been recently serviced.

In vintage stereo circles, the R-115 is highly regarded 

I would not describe it as "legendary" as it's more powerful big brother R-117 but it's "70w/ch"@8ohms" feels much more powerful than specs.  Very thumpy bass, sweet velvety midrange, detailed highs, and dynamic headroom galore.  The built in tuner rivals some of the best separate tuners of that era.

The 825ra is advertised as in un-used, pristine shape and it looks like it. It does not have any signs of wear and is very clean complete with AM loop and FM antennae, RC-125 remote, original box and packaging including dust sleeve. It does not have its manuals. The Denon DRA-825ra purchase includes a Denon DCM-555II cd changer in equal condition.

I loved every Denon piece of that era I ever owned.  Their integrated amps(PMA) are solid designs with nice circuitry and build quality and offer fast punchy rhythmic neutral/warmish sound signature with plenty of dynamic headroom also.  I have heard that their DRAs described the same way.  The DRA--825ra is from the same vintage as my PMAs and very similar topology and design except with a builtin tuner and video inputs.   Nice bonus with the CD changer.

The Denon has its fans, but is much less celebrated.

I don't know why that is but my experiences are nothing short of spectacular.

Where are the locations of these two pieces in question?

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Of those 2, Luxman.

But, consider old Yamaha CR-x00, -x10 and -x20, Marantz from the 70s, 22xx, and Technics SA- with discrete output stages (500/50 watt and higher).  Kenwood and Sansui made pretty nice gear, too, but I had Tuner/Integrateds by then, a KA-7100 and a KT-5500(?). 

I don't understand the nostalgia for Pioneer.  It was junk in the '70s, carried by low end shops.  Still looks like the Blose of electronics. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I bought my first Denon receiver in 1991, a DRA-825r and was amazed how it sounded with a pair of Marantz Imperial 7(b?) speakers. A few months later I had a chance to take a new pair of forte IIs home and was blown away how thew combo sounded. I admit I have never had the opportunity to listen the the other receiver but I would not hesitate using a DRA-825r for two channel and forte's

• Like 1

I have a Denon DRA-425R (50 WPC) I picked up for $50 a couple years ago.  It works perfectly and while I'm happy with it, it's always sounded a little bright to my ears with almost any speakers I've used.  For now It's still my main receiver though, only because of the remote :)  That being said, I also have an untouched vintage Sansui G-5000 that sounds great with almost anything I pair it with.  If it were me, I'd take the path of least resistance and get the one that's local, or at least listen to it.  I'm sure you could find a universal remote that would work too.

Agree with Shakey

There are so many good new $500 integrated stereo amps for not much money, why reach way back

A good 50 Watt amp should be plenty

I would spec out all of the offerings everyone seems to have one.

If you have to recap an old one, expect $300 if you can't do it yourself

Plan B, used surround receivers with great DAC chip sets are a dime a dozen

I picked up a great sounding Harmon Kardon for $20, 70 Watts with DAC and phone, tone controls

Class AB with massive transformer

My two cents

The speakers may need to be recapped or new crossovers and new gaskets for the horns

On some of mine, I had to replace the internal speaker wires, dry rot after 45 years.