PB Blaster or Kroil or Free all?

Coytee

I've used PB and Kroil (on same issue) and thus far, no luck with either.  Brother in law swears by Free All.  I've never heard of it.

What do you prefer?

(issue is a king pin on my backhoe which is proving difficult to remove....but... I will conquer in the end)

I've sledged on top of the pin (starting to mushroom), someone welded some steel to it to sledge it sideways (rotate) to break the bond.....  I knocked the steel that was welded on, off.

We're working on something else, meanwhile, I continue to drip some oil on it...  near running out.  My brother in law swore by the Free All (which I had never heard of).  He said he can't find it anywhere near him (New Orleans) so just now ordered a case.  I'll stock up to half of it and give him the other half.

So far, what I have hasn't loosened it so I'm game to try another.

Ooh welding could cause a warp or distortion. Just brainstorming.

My nemisis is a steel bolt into aluminum. V6 Ford T Bird accessory drive bolt into aluminum cylinder head about 12 years ago.

MAPP gas for heat if possible. Propane just does not get hot enough sometimes.

Good luck.

Rick

Hey Coytee, an oxygen lance might be the way to go on this. With that tool you cold cut a hole all the way through the pin. Then let it cool and shrink. Then drive it out. It does require a welder and a bottle of oxygen. Check out this video for how one works.

Followup question on the lance....

How big of a hole does it burn?  My pin is something like 1 1/2" diameter.  If it burned a 1" hole, you start to get scary getting too close to one side and burning the hole the pin goes in.  On the other hand, if it only burns a 1/2" hole, you have more room for error.

Still....I'll file this back as "Plan V"  I'm currently on "Plan W" having blown through plans B, C, D, E,......

17 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I forgot how it ends, and the chorus always throws me off.

Don't worry, J**  Bid** can't recall how it ends either.

(name blacked out to keep it from getting into presidential politics)  :unsure2: