Are you suffering from any extra clarity???

Coytee

On 6/27/2020 at 8:08 PM, oldtimer said:

Richard, do you still sell that product with a minimum guaranteed return that also can get the greater market return?  How did the insurance companies fare that offered that prior to 2009?

The product(s) are still out there (Fixed Index Annuities) but no, I'm captive and don't have access to them.  I'm beholden to the State of Tennessee employees and their pensions.

I'm not aware of any of those companies suffering any strain from the Covid market downturn.

The people that HAVE them....  love me.  In fact, there are many of them that I sold that are now out of surrender.  There are better vehicles (same thing) out there that can give them better return options.  Literally, just today (I swear) I mentioned this to my wife.  I have a copy of all the people that bought them over 15 years.  Told the wife that SHE should get her insurance license so SHE can reach out to them (with me as her backup resource) and change them over to a newer/better chassis.  She could get paid for that and work from home.

The LAST time this situation happened (where I was captive and not allowed to sell them) I had a client call me.....husband passed and she wanted to drop about $300K into one of those (about a $20,000 commission).  I was unable to do it.  I thought about calling my old partner and have him sell it....and split it.....but, that too was illegal.  SO, called the wife, told her she should consider getting her license so SHE could sell it!!  She got her license, got appointed with the firm.  (I was in Florida)  I came home for a Christmas break, wife & I went to the lady's home....  I went through explaining everything, told my wife "you need to sign here, here here.....and here"  Told the lady, "You need to sign here, here and initial this"

Once done, I took everything and got it processed (since my wife had no clue what the followup steps were).

Since my wife signed/sold it, it was legal.  She didn't know enough about it to explain it, so I did that part.

I went back to Florida after vacation was over.....couple weeks later, my wife got $21,000 check....  I think she sent me $3,000 for "all of MY "hard work""

I still haven't figured that one out!!!  She was in bad car accident right after this, took couple years to fully get over it. Didn't keep up with her insurance license and lost it because of not taking continuing education.

So now I'm back at square one.

44 minutes ago, Coytee said:

The product(s) are still out there (Fixed Index Annuities) but no, I'm captive and don't have access to them.  I'm beholden to the State of Tennessee employees and their pensions.

Side comment, one location that I cover, does NOT participate in the State's pension plan.....  but they have a rather generous matching in the 401K (10% after 10 or 20 years, I forget)

Anyway, some of these people are retiring with over $1M in their 401K and zero pension.  I'm sitting here thinking, they could take a 10, 20, 30, XX?? percent of their 401K, move it to an annuity (which is really all their pension is) and "buy" themselves a guaranteed lifetime income but Noooooooooooooooooo, I'm not allowed to get into that.

That can be frustrating.  Not that I'm concerned about "selling" them anything.....  my thoughts are, I'd rather they hear the story from someone who knows about the options, is qualified to explain them AND, makes zero commissions on them, so I have no reason to give them a "sales job".  I'd much rather be in that seat than an outside person, who IS commission driven, get hold of them.