Schiit Modius....

SWL

I've been living with this DAC for the last couple of weeks and I gotta say that this is a perfect match with Klipsch speakers. It's smooth, detailed and laid back in the mids and highs.

Balanced and unbalanced outputs. I'm preferring the balanced XLR outputs by a small margin but both work great.

I avoided Schiit for a long time but this is my second DAC from them and neither have disappointed. Affordable with great performance and specs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Schitt has it's advocates and detractors, some of those detractors likely have not given their gear an extended listen. 

I waited for a time before jumping in with a Bifrost (1st generation with USB 5 that I bought 2nd hand).  There was a lot to like.  I compared it to my older Antelope Zodiac.  The Zodiac was considered a pretty good DAC for its time and I paid a handsome sum for it, and it still sounds quite good.  However, the lowly (by price comparison only) Bifrost bested it. 

Not at first, though.  On first listen, without giving the Bifrost a chance to warm up, the Bifrost sounded much worse by comparison.  I compared it to my older Antelope Zodiac.  The Zodiac was considered a pretty good DAC for its time and I paid a handsome sum for it, and it still sounds quite good.  However, the lowly bested it. 

Not at first, though.  On first listen, the Bifrost sounded much worse.  However, given an hour or two to warm up - tpared it to my older Antelope Zodiac.  The Zodiac was considered a pretty good DAC for its time and I paid a handsome sum for it, and it still sounds quite good.  However, the lowly (by ayhese multibit DAC's seem to benefit from warm up - the Bifrost really started to shine.   I can switch back and forth between the two DAC's with the same source (PC based audio).  The Bifrost throws a bigger sound stage.  The bass has a bit more detail.  Vocals are centered and sort of jump out a bit at you. 

More than that, though.  The Bifrost had a bit more natural, "sweeter" sound to it.  At least in my system, it did. 

Now, that's not to say the Zodiac sounded bad by comparison.  Not all all.  On its own, it really sounds great.  However, the Bifrost isn't going anywhere.  I'm also really tempted to see what the Gungnir Analog 2 w/Unison USB will sound like.  There's one on the way! 😉

• Like 1

How does it compare to the Maverick D2?
Sorry for the delay. Well, I'd have to say that it's better in every way. The Modius, as well as the Modi 3 in my system just sound 'right'.

Of the several DACs I've had up to this point, Schiit is the first US made/company DAC I've had and they just fit like a glove in my system. The Modi 3 does everything right but more on the neutral side. The Modius does everything right but in a more laid back 'listenable' kind of way. It's got a smooth, big sound.

When I switch back to the D2 it sounds inferior with grainy highs. I liked that DAC so much I bought two of them. One died and the other.....well, since I tried Schiit it just sits there now.

I avoided Schiit for years because of negative things I had read......and not to mention the name. C'mon man.....it's got no class.

But now, their stuff tests good if not great. Sounds great and the pricing is very fair.

I think anyone with Klipsch speakers that has a problem with the typical complaints (forward mids, agressive highs) should consider this DAC. Or.....just try it anyway, it's a great sounding DAC.

• Like 1

I absolutely love the Bifrost multibit.  Best sounding DAC Ive had.
Based on my good experience with the Modi 3, I was gonna snag a multtbit DAC.....but then I came across the Modius and went for it. Glad I did cause I really dig it.

I just ordered the Modius. Going to try it my system 1 replacing the Musical Paradise tube dac which sounds very good but has a few issues. Based on my wonderful experience with the Modi 3 I have high expectations for the Modius. It should arrive next week. I shall report back.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SWL said:

What did you replace it with?

Gungnir multi bit.  I didn't like it as much as the Bifrost.  Seemed granier and less detailed so I sent it back during the 15 day return period.  I believe they got it back yesterday.  I told them if there was an issue with it when they checked out to send me a replacement.  If it was operating properly then send me the refund.  I didn't give it a long break in period though as I had to make a decision pretty quickly.  The Bifrost on the otherhand sounded great from the first time I used it.

• 7 months later...

A late addition to this thread, but am looking in to one of these for a smaller system.  Scott -- I am curious which method you are using to power the Modius.  USB only, (for both source and power) or do you use a different input with the wall wart?  Thanks.

• Like 1

I have a Schiit Modi 3+ and I power it with usb into wall wart. I am using it with my Sonos Connect, which is limited to redbook or S/N of 96db. The Modi 3+ has S/N of 110db. I wanted to max out the performance of my Sonos. I am replacing a Linn Numerik dac from the early 1990s that I bought in 2007 before streaming was a big thing. I can tell you it was $100 well spent.

If I had to do it again, I would probably have sprung for the Modius so I could connect it to my McIntosh C41 with balanced connects (for fun). When I bought the Modi 3+ I was still running my McIntosh MX110.

Have fun!