Activist critical of police undergoes use of force scenarios

EmilC

Of course we all know there are Johnny Bad A$$ cops who are arrogant and insecure and think they are above the law.  And there are good cops who just have to make split second decisions.  Until any of us have walked in their shoes, we have no idea what we would do in those situations.  Too many arm chair quarterbacks with opinions.

Bill

• Like 6

1 hour ago, willland said:

Of course we all know there are Johnny Bad A$$ cops who are arrogant and insecure and think they are above the law.  And there are good cops who just have to make split second decisions.  Until any of us have walked in their shoes, we have no idea what we would do in those situations.  Too many arm chair quarterbacks with opinions.

Bill

And who know how many cops were killed because they hesitated.

Police need our backing. Thanks a cop if you see one because moral has to be the lowest ever.

• Like 3

I'm an hour out of Manhattan and loved to visit.  Don't think I will anytime soon

and the exodus begins...

https://nypost.com/2020/06/26/nypd-precinct-commander-leaves-bronx-precinct-for-last-time/

https://nypost.com/2020/06/27/272-nypd-cops-file-for-retirement-since-floyd-protests/

some will say "good". More money for social workers

https://nypost.com/2020/06/28/11-people-shot-across-nyc-in-less-than-12-hours/

that's just in the past 12 hours. Chicago like stats

• Sad 1

I've been through the "Shoot, Don't Shoot" judgmental training from a time on a task force and I was required to carry a hand gun. We first had to pass the judgmental training to be qualified. Even in those scenarios, you don't have a lot of time to decide -- and that was in a controlled environment where my only fear was the embarrassment of not passing the course. In real life, I'd probably be killed more times than not. 

I passed the course; BUT probably because I knew I really wasn't firing live rounds at another person. 

Back then I was a much younger man and frankly it was a job requirement since I was selected to be an this task force. Now, I would never accept a job that required me to carry a gun. I'm just not "gun guy" and even if a shooting was justified, I think it would haunt me ... and I have enough issues to deal with already. 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 7:30 AM, tube fanatic said:

My cousin’s husband is in the NYPD mounted unit and works in Manhattan.  Talk about a dangerous level of exposure.  One well aimed brick and he’s dead.  The morale is extremely poor.   

Maynard

Sorry to hear, Maynard. Shame really.

NYPD under e Giuliani and continued under Bloomberg  set the standard for US cities on how to police big cities.

If you want to see NYC prior, watch the movie "Joker"

https://1010wins.radio.com/articles/112-victims-reported-in-83-shootings-over-9-days-in-nyc

1 BILLION DOLLARS CUT

Covers for Wednesday, July 1, 2020 | New York Post

https://1010wins.radio.com/articles/112-victims-reported-in-83-shootings-over-9-days-in-nyc

I'm not against the police or obeying the law.  I'm against the officers that think (and act) that the only reason there is peacful law and order is because the police are feared. That would be the "power cops". They're really are people that have good morals to begin with.

Then there are the officers that have a poor sense of threat assessment. The ones that just can't turn off the mindset that all people are guilty.

Getting rid of these types of cops is a lot harder than people may think. For the ones that abuse their spouses, for instance. The percentage of cops that do this is quite high (40% and possibly higher). If an officer looses his/her job or is convicted of spousal abuse, it sets such a large precedent that departments will have a hard time replacing them with officers that can do the job effectively otherwise.

I have a close friend whose ex-husband comes from a police family. His family has the attitude that there are two types of people; the police (the good, ruling and feared) and those that aren't (the always guilty). Where there is no such thing as someone that obeys the law and has good morals, other than by the existence of the police.

The reason the TV show COPS was on the air was to show people that they (assumed criminals) can't win and the police are omnipotently powerful. When I watch,  the number of times the perps actually talk to the cops (and hanging themselves doing it) is incredible! You have to give them your name and nothing else! After you do that, get a lawyer!!

• Like 3

On 7/2/2020 at 12:00 PM, Mighty Favog said:

I'm not against the police or obeying the law.  I'm against the officers that think (and act) that the only reason there is peacful law and order is because the police are feared. That would be the "power cops". They're really are people that have good morals to begin with.

Then there are the officers that have a poor sense of threat assessment. The ones that just can't turn off the mindset that all people are guilty.

Getting rid of these types of cops is a lot harder than people may think. For the ones that abuse their spouses, for instance. The percentage of cops that do this is quite high (40% and possibly higher). If an officer looses his/her job or is convicted of spousal abuse, it sets such a large precedent that departments will gave a hard time replacing them with officers that can do the job effectively otherwise.

I have a close friend whose ex-husband comes from a police family. His family has the attitude that there are two types of people; the police (the good, ruling and feared) and those that aren't (the always guilty). Where there is no such thing as someone that obeys the law and has good morals, other than by the existence of the police.

The reason the TV show COPS was on the air was to show people that they (assumed criminals) can't win and the police are omnipotently powerful. When I watch,  the number of times the number of times the perps actually talk to the cops (and hanging themselves doing it) is incredible! You have to give them your name and nothing else! After you do that, get a lawyer!!

My question is did go into the force as flawed individuals or did the job turn them into one.? Really need to walk in there shoe to know and that's why shows such a "Cops" is so important.

It takes a special kind of person to do the job. I couldn't. You?

Are the stresses of your job the same as theirs? Do PD depts provide adequate mental health care

My limited exposure to law enforcement involves speeding tickets which I seem to get alot of. Majority are professional but I've dealt with a jerk or two.

4 hours ago, EmilC said:

My question is did go into the force as flawed individuals or did the job turn them into one.?

I've seen it both ways.

I used to work a retail job some 30+ years ago with a guy that should have been arrested as a sexual offender. He's now in line to be the next police chief of our large city. All I can say there is that I really hope he grew up and I wonder how he got past the mental examination part of his entrance exam.

Then, I've also seen good manored well respecting guys come out of the military that are total a-holes with a constant chip on their shoulder. Not to mention telling their own mother that she's a piece of sh!t after she raised him by herself when she caught his father in bed with another woman ( in the act) when he was only 3-months old.

NYC has just as many police right now as it did a month ago, so what does a future slashed budget have to do with the present increase in shootings?

Right now, in most of the country, all police presence is doing is agitating people. They have lost the public trust.

The Mounted Police unit in NYC is very important to control , and ward off  looting and attacks of walking pedestrians  as even the large sidewalks in NYC are unsafe  without their presence -

---the  City is full of alley ways where Criminals  hide and attack randomly people crossing the alleyways or entering the alleyways  , take the Mounted Unit out , and  walking the sidewalks  of NYC will no longer be safe   --and the gangs will take over -

• Thanks 1

the crime ratio is in NYC , is not your average   it took  very long years  to make NYC  into a safer City for the average person who lives and travels by public transport   -

, I remember  the Bronx  and  Harlem  when gangs used to  tear down cars in minutes  in huge streets  to bare frames  ,  the streets in NYC were at your own risk and peril  ,  the subway was dangerous after hours ,  the City was 1 big huge crime scene , and the Police were overwhelmed ---------take away the Cops in NYC , it's gonna be 1 big Bad Apple -----

• Thanks 1

I think most sane people understand that they provide a vital role and we can't do without them. I'm not a fan of some of the things some people are suggesting. I do however, like the idea of demilitarizing.

the proposed changes are just being implemented too quickly , and who knows the real consequences to public safety -----the real problems requires consultation and intelligent decisions , versus rash decisions -