Activist critical of police undergoes use of force scenarios

EmilC

2 hours ago, Deang said:

NYC has just as many police right now as it did a month ago, so what does a future slashed budget have to do with the present increase in shootings?

Right now, in most of the country, all police presence is doing is agitating people. They have lost the public trust.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/19/nyc-shootings-surge-after-nypds-anti-crime-unit-disbanded/

add that to the demoralization of the force in general

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, RandyH 000 said:

the proposed changes are just being implemented too quickly , and who knows the real consequences to public safety -----the real problems requires consultation and intelligent decisions , versus rash decisions -

The ones who will suffer the most are the one that need police protection the most. The minority community.

• Like 1

My dad and uncles were all in the Army during wartime, but only two of the three served overseas. One day, at an event honoring veterans, a young man asked where they had been stationed. “I served in Japan,” said Uncle Sid. “I served in Korea,” said Uncle Jerry. “Baltimore,” said Dad. “Keeping it safe for democracy.” , now the young man said ,  it's my turn to fight in Minnesota -

10 hours ago, EmilC said:

My question is did go into the force as flawed individuals or did the job turn them into one.?

Some of each, some both.

Of course, everyone is flawed, but that doesn't mean we can't improve the situation.

Too often, minorities and protestors of any group, quite often justifiably feel "The peace they keep isn't our peace," (Goodman, Making Do).

They need to know, and some need to be reminded, that their job is not to determine guilt or innocence, or to mete out punishment, but to bring those they have a legitimate reason to believe have committed a crime before the bar of justice -- even though it itself isn't always quite just.  

I'm open to the idea of decreasing the number of cops, and mightily increasing the quality, psychological screening, and training.  And, yes, having undercover, highly trained operatives to root out agents provocateurs of any stripe.  The use of community organizing, social workers, psychologists, and the rest should be tried, with various methods to be compared, in a great variety of  socioeconomic and ethnic locations, with as much internal & external validity as possible, always with an eye to individual rights and our common humanity. 

I like the idea of cops who agree with demonstrators protesting and marching with them (with impunity).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, garyrc said:

And, yes, having undercover, highly trained operatives to root out agents provocateurs of any stripe.

Been there done that.  What I am seeing now is the prevalence of far right instigation that has built steadily over the last 30 years.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, garyrc said:

And, yes, having undercover, highly trained operatives to root out agents provocateurs of any stripe.

Doing that, and have been doing that.  But with a complete lack of leadership and a pathetic, ridiculous relationship with the intelligence community, most things that could be gained are dismissed or ignored.

11 minutes ago, garyrc said:

I'm open to the idea of decreasing the number of cops, and mightily increasing the quality, psychological screening, and training.  And, yes, having undercover, highly trained operatives to root out agents provocateurs of any stripe. 

very important -----they always do the most damage as they have precise targets -

Just now, jimjimbo said:

Doing that, and have been doing that.  But with a complete lack of leadership and a pathetic, ridiculous relationship with the intelligence community, most things that could be gained are dismissed or ignored.

I'm not going to ask, I don't want to know.

• Like 1

Oh God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe said, “Man, you must be puttin' me on”
God say, “No.”
Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want, Abe, but
The next time you see me comin' you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where you want this killin' done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”

Well Georgia Sam he had a bloody nose
Welfare Department they wouldn’t give him no clothes
He asked poor Howard where can I go
Howard said there’s only one place I know
Sam said tell me quick man I got to run
Old Howard just pointed with his gun
And said "That way, down Highway 61"

Well Mack the Finger said to Louie the King
I got forty red, white and blue shoestrings
And a thousand telephones that don’t ring
Do you know where I can get rid of these things?
And Louie the King said "Let me think for a minute son"
And he said "Yes, I think it can be easily done
Just take everything down to Highway 61"

Now the fifth daughter on the twelfth night
Told the first father that things weren’t right
"My complexion" she says "is much too white"
He said "Come here and step into the light"
He says "Hmm you’re right
Let me tell the second mother this has been done"
But the second mother was with the seventh son
And they were both out on Highway 61

Now the rovin' gambler he was very bored
Tryin' to create a next world war
He found a promoter who nearly fell off the floor
He said "I never engaged in this kind of thing before
But yes I think it can be very easily done
We’ll just put some bleachers out in the sun
And have it on Highway 61"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Oh God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe said, “Man, you must be puttin' me on”
God say, “No.”
Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want, Abe, but
The next time you see me comin' you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where you want this killin' done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”

Well Georgia Sam he had a bloody nose
Welfare Department they wouldn’t give him no clothes
He asked poor Howard where can I go
Howard said there’s only one place I know
Sam said tell me quick man I got to run
Old Howard just pointed with his gun
And said "That way, down Highway 61"

Well Mack the Finger said to Louie the King
I got forty red, white and blue shoestrings
And a thousand telephones that don’t ring
Do you know where I can get rid of these things?
And Louie the King said "Let me think for a minute son"
And he said "Yes, I think it can be easily done
Just take everything down to Highway 61"

Now the fifth daughter on the twelfth night
Told the first father that things weren’t right
"My complexion" she says "is much too white"
He said "Come here and step into the light"
He says "Hmm you’re right
Let me tell the second mother this has been done"
But the second mother was with the seventh son
And they were both out on Highway 61

Now the rovin' gambler he was very bored
Tryin' to create a next world war
He found a promoter who nearly fell off the floor
He said "I never engaged in this kind of thing before
But yes I think it can be very easily done
We’ll just put some bleachers out in the sun
And have it on Highway 61"

Let's be honest.This little experiment will have no effect on us as we sit in front of our computers in the comfort and safety of our low crime, well protected communities.

I believe this is what's called "privilege" and needs to be checked.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/04/shootings-soar-205-percent-after-nypd-disbands-anti-crime-unit/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter

From the front lines:

One victim, Jomo Glasgow, 35, a DJ, was gunned down outside a house party on East 49th Street in Brooklyn on June 17 — just two days after Police Commissioner Dermot Shea announced he was scrapping the unit, a group of 600 officers tasked with preventing violent street crime.

“I feel like we are giving the streets back to the criminals,” Glasgow’s mom, Hazel Thomas, told The Post.

“They shouldn’t have disbanded it,” she said of the anti-crime unit. “Whatever the problem they have, address it. But don’t disband the unit. Many lives would have been saved. Not just my son.”

“It’s bail reform,” Shea said on PIX11 this week.  “It’s Covid. It’s emptying out prisons. One of the most frustrating pieces right now, is a criminal justice system that just is not working and I’m calling on Albany to fix it. Fix it now. People are dying on the streets of New York City.”

[Political ideology commentary removed].

So what's next? Removing NYPD officers from public schools? Yep. Imagine going to a school were police were needed ? They're there for a reason don''t ya think? Hall monitors aint gonna cut it.

Anyway. Let's see this play out.

Pass the popcorn

• Like 1

The Mounted Police unit in NYC is very important to control , and ward off  looting and attacks of walking pedestrians  as even the large sidewalks in NYC are unsafe  without their presence -

---the  City is full of alley ways where Criminals  hide and attack randomly people crossing the alleyways or entering the alleyways  , take the Mounted Unit out , and  walking the sidewalks  of NYC will no longer be safe   --and the gangs will take over -

NYC is full of alley ways?? What part of NYC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, baron167 said:

NYC is full of alley ways?? What part of NYC?

take your pick--------this is NYC  , alleys and alleyways galore ----https://www.google.com/search?q=alley and alleyways in nyc&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACSQx_1Lt_1HPhOYX67u3Okxl74&client=firefox-b-d&hl=en&ved=0CBsQuIIBahcKEwio7ru0srbqAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQEQ&biw=1349&bih=654

• Like 1

So no particular area. Got it. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm there [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, baron167 said:

So no particular area. Got it. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm there emoji849.png

good man , Annapolis Maryland is 40k population ,  NYC  area population  is 19 Million   ,  and the NYC Police Force numbers is bigger than the entire population of Annapolis-----keep that in mind next time you visit NYC - 

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, EmilC said:

Let's be honest.This little experiment will have no effect on us as we sit in front of our computers in the comfort and safety of our low crime, well protected communities.

I believe this is what's called "privilege" and needs to be checked.

To the question

Please explain why people who have worked all of their lives to have a place to live and a few things they like have to all of a sudden need to "Check" anything they worked for ?

If you do not have what you like and have worked for you need to "check" you decisions and lifestyle that got you in that position, not look at others. 

• Like 1