Refurbished KG 3.5's

Iteachstem

Up for your consideration is my refurbished KG 3.5 Project.  They started out as most KG's often do... the drivers are in excellent condition but the cabinets have seen some abuse over time.  So, I purchased them and went to work.  Sanded down, stained and sealed! And of course, I washed the grills.... it's amazing (and disgusting) how much dirt these collect over the years! I'm asking $200. Local pickup in Illinois...Southwest suburbs. (Big Rock)You can audition in my garage... I can provide the beverages!02.jpeg.6fe983a9880d39fc6ee1abcb0f2b732a.jpeg04.jpeg.830904f4d2037e43e3d4b801903f311a.jpeg

09.jpeg

11.jpeg

12.jpeg

08.jpeg

05.jpeg

01.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, absolve2525 said:

For a smaller to regular size room, these are really great speakers! Good luck with your sale, I have a pair already. Easy to upgrade crossovers, as well as Crites titanium option for relatively cheap. 

I agree.  Pair them with a nice sub and you have an excellent system on a relatively small budget.

I figured I wouldn't do the tweeter upgrade, as I will let then next owner have some fun deciding what they want to do to these.  Plus, then that would also price them right out of the "good deal" zone.

12 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

great deal ,  beautifil work ----------GLWS

Thanks.  The pictures I posted were actually before I put the poly on, so they look a little bit more refined now.  I was all excited to get pictures up so they can find a new home quickly.  I was almost debating just leaving them the natural oak and just sealing the wood, but I had some leftover stain from when I refinished my CF-3's.

Wow, lookin good there.  I will say that my KG-3.5s sound absolutely amazing for their size and 2 way small driver/ small horn.  Very balanced, whereas the KG-5.5's are a bit bass heavy, but that's probably due to my room being too small for them. 

These are a steal for $200.  Wait, are they stolen?  just kidding man, good luck with sale and I really hope the buyer gets as much amazement from them as I get from mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoudnClear said:

Wow, lookin good there.  I will say that my KG-3.5s sound absolutely amazing for their size and 2 way small driver/ small horn.  Very balanced, whereas the KG-5.5's are a bit bass heavy, but that's probably due to my room being too small for them. 

These are a steal for $200.  Wait, are they stolen?  just kidding man, good luck with sale and I really hope the buyer gets as much amazement from them as I get from mine.

Yes they are, That's why he was sanding them LOL ….

OK that's not gonna get me no info I need. But how did you do that - removing all the black paint ? or was it a stain ? or veneer ?

I used 220 grit sandpaper on a good ol' Dewalt sander.  I have an air nozzle that I use while sanding to blow away the dust and to periodically clean off the sanding pad.  I usually change the sandpaper after doing each cabinet.  They key is not to "oversand"  as this will remove some of the grain that is present in the veneer.  Although, at times, you have to use a little more pressure in the spots that have deeper scratches/damage to completely remove the blemishes... being careful not to sand through the thin veneer.

I don't like to use a chemical stripper to remove the finish as I try to limit my exposure to toxic chemicals.  I lost enough brain cells during my college years!

I have a deep dark - I mean super super dark brown that the clear lacquer just about peeled off on a plywood cab. Can I do something like this and turn it light ?

It was done in the 50's and looks it. It looks like it was stained then lacquered over - which actually also yellowed, making it a few shades darker, without that it looks still too dark.

8 hours ago, Srinath said:

I have a deep dark - I mean super super dark brown that the clear lacquer just about peeled off on a plywood cab. Can I do something like this and turn it light ?

It was done in the 50's and looks it. It looks like it was stained then lacquered over - which actually also yellowed, making it a few shades darker, without that it looks still too dark.

For sure!  I would try what I did on my KG 3.5 and Epic CF3's.  Just be careful when sanding.  Take just enough off to get rid of the color... you don't want to remove the character of the wood by sanding too deep, or worse yet, burn through the outer veneer layer.

When you stain, follow the directions on the can.  I always use a rag when staining.  After wiping off the stain,  I always wait extra long for it to dry... way more than the recommended time.  Plus, I have a dehumidifier running in my garage at all times in the summer to keep the humidity at 55%.

When finishing, I tend to use Polycrylic or water based polyurethane so that it doesn't yellow. I always use a matte or satin finish as I think semi-gloss and gloss looks horrible, but that's just me.

On 6/30/2020 at 9:21 PM, moray james said:

looks to me that the paint finish was simply and carefully sanded off. Personally I would use a stripper to remove  most all the satin paint off the wood veneer then sand the surface to clean up any marks. nice job.

I'd caution against the use of stripper. Veneer is very thin, and the stripper can penetrate and possibly soften the veneer's adhesive.

To the OP: A very well done job. They look better than new.

9 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I'd caution against the use of stripper. Veneer is very thin, and the stripper can penetrate and possibly soften the veneer's adhesive.

To the OP: A very well done job. They look better than new.

So far as my experiences have gone I have never had this happen. Have you had this happen yourself? Modern day stripping solutions may be different from those in the past which may no longer be legal to use. I have always used a stripper made with Methylene Choride but it must only be used out doors or with very good ventilation such as a paint booth.

PS: you can always test on the bottom of the cabinet same goes for choosing stain colors.

49 minutes ago, moray james said:

So far as my experiences have gone I have never had this happen. Have you had this happen yourself? Modern day stripping solutions may be different from those in the past which may no longer be legal to use. I have always used a stripper made with Methylene Choride but it must only be used out doors or with very good ventilation such as a paint booth.

good to know --------stripping means keeping the veneer intact