Redwood or other wood for accent walls

tigerwoodKhorns

Wood workers.  I keep seeing rough redwood for sale on Craigslist.  I like the look but want something with a smooth and glossy or semigloss finish for a more contemporary look. 

What does redwood look like if run through a planer and sanded? 

Is this tough on blades and a lot of work?

I don't know that redwood has any properties that would give trouble in finishing it.

except not holding paint. I would use an oil finish on it. The others may have more experience... don't count on my say so.

we have some old redwood on our walls/ceiling.... best guess is near 100yr old. The house is 50+ and the redwood came from an old railroad station [allegedly]. I presume our windows, too. Wrinkles in the glass. .

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

we have some old redwood on our walls/ceiling.... best guess is near 100yr old. The house is 50+ and the redwood came from an old railroad station [allegedly]. I presume our windows, too. Wrinkles in the glass. .

under the right conditions the wood will not rot -

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Red Wood is great to use for making interiors  look old ,  the wood darkens with age if it is outside with an  old wood look patina ,  planing it , would remove the dark  patina , and show different colors and grains - pressure wash it first , to remove any  layer of dirt , and then plane to show the grain -

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Wood workers.  I keep seeing rough redwood for sale on Craigslist.  I like the look but want something with a smooth and glossy or semigloss finish for a more contemporary look. 

Photo #3889 - Redwood picklewood stave / planed and oiled--note ...

1 hour ago, KlipschFish said:

Redwood is fantastic as an outdoor wood, especially. But be careful with it. A sliver can be poisonous and infect quickly.

outdoors , yes , no doubt ,  but are you saying that Redwood  it is no good for indoors

Redwood can't take north central Texas outside for long.  Not much can.  We do have a south American hardwood patio furniture (not the endangered kind) outside that has lasted admirably for close to 30 years.  I would not hesitate to use redwood inside.  Cedar fences here will not last 30 years without high maintenance.  Weathering is a real problem around here.

There is something in redwood that Ohio bugs do not like. Ohio bugs love wolmanized and pressure treated wood. They do not like creosote either. I have some 4 x 4 redwood picket fence posts that were buried 2 foot into the ground in the 1960's untreated and after pulling them out to reposition them they were perfectly clean and in perfect condition. It was a real pants crapper.

JJK

Considering the work and that I am only looking at about 300 or so feet for several walls, this might work better:

https://www.flooranddecor.com/solid-hardwood-wood/natural-brazilian-pecan-solid-hardwood-100505858.html

I just need to be able to cut a 45 degree corner to wrap around the exterior of some pop outs and be able to deal with expansion. 

34 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

I have some 4 x 4 redwood picket fence posts that were buried 2 foot into the ground in the 1960's untreated and after pulling them out to reposition them they were perfectly clean and in perfect condition. It was a real pants crapper.

JJK

Same here , the fence was  done in 1972 ,   still standing -

This might sound goofy....  we redid a bathroom.  I mentioned to the wife that we should make the lavatory top out of Teak.  She looked at it and shrugged her shoulders so we bought several 1x6 lengths and put it together.

It looks VERY nice.  Very warm in appearance.  It has some (what do they call it??) ""figuring" (??) in the grain so it has some depth to its appearance.  She was a bit rolling her eyes at a wood lavatory top but I personally think it was a big home run and is probably the classiest bathroom in the house, all because of the wood.

If you put it on your wall, it would have the added benefit of having some innate water resistance so you can throw a wild water balloon party in there and not worry about the walls.

6 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Redwood is a softer wood, easy on blades. Easy to work with. Many older homes here in SoCal were framed with redwood. Kinda nice when remodeling to find old redwood framing. I've made some window frames from some old redwood. Doesn't take paint well. I wouldn't paint it anyway. Try several coats of boiled linseed oil.