Used Heresy For. $375

MacWorks

Very new to the Klipsch world. Have an opportunity to buy a pair of Heresy for less than $500. Veneer is not in great shape and the serial is 136X681.

If I take off teh back, what do I look for and what kind of money (and where) would I go to get them in top shop again? Worth it?

X in the serial number indicates a 1982 manufacture date. That date means these are Heresy I, as does the question of taking off the back. You ask about getting them back into shape. That usually means renewing the 38 year old capacitors on the crossovers, which is fairly inexpensive. Other stuff needs to be tested by connecting these to a music source and listening to the individual drivers, one at a time. That determines what's working, and if anything needs to be replaced. After that, enjoy them. I've owned five Heresy I and II since the late 1980s, and still have three.

Tank you, Dave. That is very helpful. From the video that was sent, it appears they play and I can hear them in person tomorrow. 

If I removed the back, is there anything I should look for and how does one test the drivers (other than the obvious listening).

Finally, is there a list of people who service or can replace the capacitors or can this been done by any HiFi technician? A

Thanks

10 minutes ago, MacWorks said:

Tank you, Dave. That is very helpful. From the video that was sent, it appears they play and I can hear them in person tomorrow. 

If I removed the back, is there anything I should look for and how does one test the drivers (other than the obvious listening).

Finally, is there a list of people who service or can replace the capacitors or can this been done by any HiFi technician? A

Thanks

no big deal , all you need is a soldering iron ,  my speakers are 1977 and they sound amazing with the original crossover

@MacWorks,

Welcome to the forum.

7 hours ago, MacWorks said:

Finally, is there a list of people who service or can replace the capacitors or can this been done by any HiFi technician?

Tell us your location.  There may be a willing local forum member who would gladly help you get these speakers up to par.

Bill

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MacWorks said:

... how does one test the drivers (other than the obvious listening).

With a voltmeter you can measure the DC resistance of each driver. Disconnect the leads to the speaker paying attention to which lead goes to which terminal.

You should see a resistance of between 4 and 16 ohms. If you don't get a reading, or the reading is less than 1 ohm,  the driver is bad.

To test the crossover, again use the voltmeter. Remove the driver and connect the voltmeter across the leads. Set the voltmeter to A.C. volts. Play some music. As the music plays the reading will bounce all over the place, responding to the music, but the number will be within a range. Increase the volume and the number will increase. If all that happens, the speakers are essentially working. Whether you succumb to all this "must replace the capacitors" debate is up to you.

Thank you, everyone for your valuable input. 

After some reading, I saw that the II's were preferred and found a pair for a few dollars less than the posted price (and in better shape).  I live in CT and was hoping that 

"There may be a willing local forum member who would gladly help you get these speakers up to par"

So I was able to pick up a sequential pair of Heresy II's from a good home  with a serial number of 8715065

As for placement what is generally a good place to start - how far apart, how far from the wall and angled or straight. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MacWorks said:

... I live in CT and was hoping that

"There may be a willing local forum member who would gladly help you get these speakers up to par"...

I live in CT and can do the measurements suggested above. Feel free to PM me.

• Like 1

I listen to my Heresy III pair placed an equilateral triangle, the distance of each side is 8 feet. My room is 14 ft by 16 feet with a 10 foot ceiling. Two corners of the triangle have a speaker and the third has my chair. It works great for my room. The speakers are about 1.5 feet in front of the wall. If I move them closer to the wall there is a slight increase in perceived bass. So there is a subjective element related to "what you like" when considering placement overall. My room also has a large area rug on the floor.

Buck

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MacWorks said:

That's very kind of you Peter. I hooked them up late today and the sound very good.

I am not sure I am inclined to do anything with them at this time. We are almost neighbors, because I live in Durham.

Well then, if you crank your Heresy's at night you'll wake up all the cows!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MacWorks said:

Yes, Revel M20's on generic stands. Adcom preamp and an Mondial Acurus amp. 

I have the matching surrounds center and a b15 sub. Came close to getting m20's but I like a larger speakers for  mains. Never hear them but they got great reviews.

Hope you enjoy your new speakers!