Dave A LMAHL Tweeter Upgrade - WOW!!!!!!!

Fido

I received a very well boxed set of Dave A LMAHL Tweeters in the mail yesterday from Dave A. First off they are beautiful! The machining is gorgeous. My Forte 1s have been in my family for over 40 years and after installing Dave A,s LMAHL,s they have never sounded better. First impressions are WOW!!!!! Dave packed them well and included the DE10 Drivers, his machined aluminum lenses, a tube of Loctite some extra leads and great documentation on how to instal the tweeters in my Fortes. Per Daves suggestion I picked up some Lpads and wired them up ready to install as soon as I started to to work on the project. Removing the passive radiator made the instal much easier than removing the midrange horn. I decided to hold off installing the Lpads until I listened to the speakers to see if I found the tweeters to be too HOT without attenuating them down. My first impressions are that these tweeters take my vintage Fortes to another level and at first listen I don't find them too loud in my system. I had installed Bob Crites titanium tweeters about 5 years ago and liked the sound they presented but they are not as clear, clean and with the presence Dave,s LMAHL,s. They now sound like a much richer speaker than before. I have listened to Joni Mitchel, Neil Diamond, Peter Frampton Acoustic, Jethro Tull, etc -and damn - in less than an hour they sound truly magnificent. I'd love to hear the Forte iiis just to see if they sound as good as my Forte 1s with Dave A,s LMAHL,s.

and...big thanks to Dave for all his help and creating such a great product!

Cheers!

I'l let you know after I get 24 hours or so on them if Im still as happy with them. If I find they break in and get too hot I will add the Lpads in but as of now I think they sound amazing as is.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Lbk said:

Curious are the de10's same ohms as original tweeter. Pictures please if possible, I would like to a lmahl tweeter installed. Thanks!

8 ohms no difference -----------

28 minutes ago, Lbk said:

Curious are the de10's same ohms as original tweeter. Pictures please if possible, I would like to a lmahl tweeter installed. Thanks!

Sorry I dont have any pictures because my cane grills are already installed and I forgot to take pictures before i sttached the grills. They are 8 OHMs but they have a higher sensitivity than the original tweeters that came with the Forte 1s - They are beautiful, though!

36 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Since I was the first to Measure AND Hear, all of the Dave's Lenses, my impressions were the same over 2 years ago. He keeps getting better and better. Lucky you.

Hi Claude your posts are the ones that enticed me to buy Daves LMAHLs - Thank you - what a difference they make. They have totally transformed my Fortes from really good to mind boggling great. I may have to get a pair for my Heresys now.

11 minutes ago, Fido said:

Sorry I dont have any pictures because my cane grills are already installed and I forgot to take pictures before i sttached the grills. They are 8 OHMs but they have a higher sensitivity than the original tweeters that came with the Forte 1s - They are beautiful, though!

the tweeter that everybody uses is the B & C DE120   , but I see you preferred  the B & C DE 10 ---which Claude also recommended

1 hour ago, RandyH 000 said:

the tweeter that everybody uses is the B & C DE120   , but I see you preferred  the B & C DE 10 ---which Claude also recommended

It's a better match for the LMAHL in many ways and it's cheaper. Look at the curves.

2 hours ago, Fido said:

n less than an hour they sound truly magnificent. I'd love to hear the Forte iiis just to see if they sound as good as my Forte 1s with Dave A,s LMAHL,s.

I'm sure they would be closer than they might have been without it.

2 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

It's a better match for the LMAHL in many ways and it's cheaper. Look at the curves.

I Remember you preferring it as long as there was enough room for the driver to fit -

1 hour ago, Fido said:

Dave A recommended the DE10 and thats what he ships with his aluminum lens

Yep, that was my preferred combination based on the curves. I had mine on top of my Jubilees, but it's not a great way to listen to a tweeter, since most people will not do a 3 way Jube. Dave did a more comprehensive LISTENING session than I did and we came to the same conclusions. All I can say is "You 'aint seen nothin' yet!"

46 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yep, but you have to remove the back plate to install it in 2 halves.

By removing the passive radiator it is very easy to access and  install the back plated driver to the lens attached to the motorboard. I think the second tweeter took me about 20 minutes to take out the old tweeter and install the LMAHL and replace the Cane grills. Really not difficult at all.

12 hours ago, RandyH 000 said:

This is a different tweeter body than the one you are thinking of. This is for the larger tweeter Klipsch has like the one in the Forte and Chorus and yes the DE-10 is the go to driver for these. The DE-120 is common in use where there are space restrictions where the K-77's were most frequently used.

• Like 1